PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think I found a charging bug, please try yours and report back

When I leave the phone charging all night and the ring is still "breathing" in the morning. Even though the battery shows 100%, the LED ring continues to breathe and the device stays warm.

What applications do you have installed, if any?

Mine used to turn solid white when it's done, but not anymore. I installed VistaHideBattery and No2Chem's power cpl, as well as a battery icon plug-in. I may try uninstalling one at a time to see if things change.

Another interesting observation: If I charge via a PC's USB, the ring stays solid when it's complete charging. I usually have "charge via USB" turned off.

Edit: This is what I just discovered:

If you go to Settings/System/Power, and check "When device is turned on, do not charge when plugged into PC", then the phone will keep charging even when full (via wall charger). If you uncheck that box (default setting), the phone will stop charging when full (via wall charger).

Conversely, if that box is checked, the phone keeps charging endlessly when using a wall charger.

Please try yours and report back.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Re: I think I found a charging bug, please try yours and report back

Its not charging endlessly its just using the Wired power to keep the device running. so that the battery stays at 100% until unplugged.

it would cause a fire if it were still charging the battery once full. and i would be burning in my sleep each night. granted the device gets hot but they all do when connected to usb/charger.

the LED error your reporting could just be a visual error where its not cycling the LED to solid on full charge.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
Its not charging endlessly its just using the Wired power to keep the device running. so that the battery stays at 100% until unplugged.

it would cause a fire if it were still charging the battery once full. and i would be burning in my sleep each night. granted the device gets hot but they all do when connected to usb/charger.

the LED error your reporting could just be a visual error where its not cycling the LED to solid on full charge.
I disagree.

How do you account for the facts I presented above, that using a wall charger, and option selected, the ring continues to breathe at 100%. At the same time, when the option is deselected, the ring stays on at 100%?

Also the battery stays warm while the ring glows on and off, I suspect that it is in low charge. I can also prove this by looking at No2Chem's Power Panel. It's showing around 150+ mA.

For Li-Ion batteries, there is high rate charge, low rate charge, and trickle charge. High rate will take the battery to ~80%, low rate takes it the rest of the way. It is trickle that maintains the charge.

What you describe is trickle charge, which does not appreciably warm up the battery, and would be at a pulsed/intermittent rate. This would not be a constant 150 mA.

So no, it is not a "visual error". With the option checked, the battery is subject to a constant low rate charge even at 100%. And no, that will not cause a fire. It just reduces the battery's ability to hold charge over time.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Retired Staff

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
I disagree.

How do you account for the facts I presented above, that using a wall charger, and option selected, the ring continues to breathe at 100%. At the same time, when the option is deselected, the ring stays on at 100%?

Also the battery stays warm while the ring glows on and off, I suspect that it is in low charge. I can also prove this by looking at No2Chem's Power Panel. It's showing around 150+ mA.

For Li-Ion batteries, there is high rate charge, low rate charge, and trickle charge. High rate will take the battery to ~80%, low rate takes it the rest of the way. It is trickle that maintains the charge.

What you describe is trickle charge, which does not appreciably warm up the battery, and would be at a pulsed/intermittent rate. This would not be a constant 150 mA.

So no, it is not a "visual error". With the option checked, the battery is subject to a constant low rate charge even at 100%. And no, that will not cause a fire. It just reduces the battery's ability to hold charge over time.
my battery charge: i just plug it in, battery is at 91% charge current is 424mA so according to what your saying this should be a low charge state of 150mA +/-

im going ot charge up my device and see what it says for charging current at 100% then im going to disable the usb charge option like you have test and then ill post back.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

mcdcomp is a n00b

I have had no problems ... I plug it in at night the display "breaths" while charging ... in the morning the ring is solid, unless I have an email or text message then the ring is in alert mode and flashes until I clear them. but does turn to a steady light at 100%
Old 09-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdcomp View Post
I have had no problems ... I plug it in at night the display "breaths" while charging ... in the morning the ring is solid, unless I have an email or text message then the ring is in alert mode and flashes until I clear them. but does turn to a steady light at 100%
mine is always "breathing" in the am because i get news updates text messaged to me each morning. ive honestly never thought anything of this as once my battery reaches 100% my charge icon disappears and it shows the 100% battery icon and the device is always a lil bit warm
Old 09-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
my battery charge: i just plug it in, battery is at 91% charge current is 424mA so according to what your saying this should be a low charge state of 150mA +/-

im going ot charge up my device and see what it says for charging current at 100% then im going to disable the usb charge option like you have test and then ill post back.
Thanks. I'm very interested in your results. When you first plug in, it will always try to go into high/rapid charge. Also, you have to take the charge rate, minus the drain rate, to get the actual charge rate.

Make sure the option is unchecked, and use a wall charger (not via PC/USB).
Old 09-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdcomp View Post
Go to If you go to Settings/System/Power, and uncheck "When device is turned on, do not charge when plugged into PC", save, then plug in the wall charger. Does it still turn steady at 100%?

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Retired Staff

Battery 100% charge current goes between 42mA and 124mA seems to be a trickle charging to me.... Light is pulsing.

so i "checked" disable usb charging when device is on and now charging back to 100% to see what the light does. then i will uncheck it and test again.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Battery 100% charge current goes between 42mA and 124mA seems to be a trickle charging to me.... Light is pulsing.

so i "checked" disable usb charging when device is on and now charging back to 100% to see what the light does. then i will uncheck it and test again.
Thanks. When the option is "unchecked", and using a wall charger, at 100%, the light should become solid within 10 minutes.

When the option is "checked", and using the wall charger, at 100%, the light should continue to pulse.

Thanks for trying this out.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond