PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ENV
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Knale is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Verizon Wireless Windows Phone 7 status updates !

Hey guys, been lurking here for a while, but decided to post. I've been spamming Andrew Templeton's twitter(@VWPhones) about the Trophy release date and he sent me this. It's really not much, but it's better than more nothing I suppose, and semi-official.
Quote:
Verizon seems to be gathering enough preorders before actual launch. The public may wait until May 5. See Special Offer For Microsoft Employees
Old 04-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Windows Mobile
Carrier: Verizon

Griff1324 is a n00b

Quote:
Verizon seems to be gathering enough preorders before actual launch. The public may wait until May 5. See Special Offer For Microsoft Employees
Sounds to me like Verizon keeps pushing back the date in an attempt to secure enough preorders to justify the upfront costs of bringing the Trophy into their lineup. This doesn't sound too promising for the immediate future of WP7 at Verizon. If they don't feel confident bringing the Trophy into thier lineup 6 months after WP7 hit the market then I doubt that they are looking into bringing higher-end WP7 devices into thier stores any time soon.

With that said, it looks like I might be jumping ship to AT&T when they get the new HTC WP7 device. I cannot help but to think that Verizon is intentionally dragging their feet with releasing a WP7 phone. Verizon was not happy with Microsoft with how the Kin played out. They just recently got the iPhone and they are heavily invested in Android.

Verizon needs to pull their head out of their &#! and give the customers what they want. It is a shame that Verizon refuses to deliver a WP7 device that is running one year old hardware to their customers.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:57 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

jaeskill is becoming a great contributor

I agree, I feel a little stupid anxiously waiting for a phone that is already considered old (in phone years). Verizons arrogance is annoying to say the least; they pick and choose what they carry with a snobbish demeanor. They said they would carry WP7 if it turned out to be good enough for them and recently said the same about the blackberry playbook. They say shit like "we dont need microsoft or nokia" when it would only boost their sales. I dont see a problem with carrying a little of everything so that you (as a company) have something for everybody so there is never a need for a customer to go to a competitor due to a lack of selection... but im not a business major so maybe that idea is as stupid as waiting for an old phone
Old 04-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (WP7 Beta Tester: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

remember, you're talking about a company that 1st turned down the iphone...then they sold their soul to get it!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:22 PM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: Sprint

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeskill View Post
I agree, I feel a little stupid anxiously waiting for a phone that is already considered old (in phone years).
I'd like to think they extended the Verizon /MS Employee Trophy offer so they could dump their stock of this antiquated hardware and get a BETTER WP7 device. I'd like to think they are getting something with -
a 4.3" Super LCD or AMOLED screen
4G communications
MSM8x60 CPU (not yet certified for WP7)
1800 mah battery
BT 3.0
USB 3.0
11 mm or slimmer

I would have no issue with Verizon delaying the release of WP7 on their network by a couple of months for a much improved handset over the Trophy as it is mediocre at best. However I would want Verizon to give us a definitive on what handset they plan on releasing and what MONTH of WHAT YEAR they actually plan on releasing it.

Considering that they aren't selling the Trophy yet, is it too much to hope they are dumping that pig for something more inline with the EVO 3D hardware but running WP7?

Last edited by boe; 04-21-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I'd like to think they extended the Verizon /MS Employee Trophy offer so they could dump their stock of this antiquated hardware and get a BETTER WP7 device. I'd like to think they are getting something with -
4G communications
1800 mah battery
BT 3.0
USB 3.0
11 mm or slimmer

I would have no issue with Verizon delaying the release of WP7 on their network by a couple of months for a much improved handset over the Trophy as it is mediocre at best. However I would want Verizon to give us a definitive on what handset they plan on releasing and what MONTH of WHAT YEAR they actually plan on releasing it.

Considering that they aren't selling the Trophy yet, is it too much to hope they are dumping that pig for something more inline with the EVO 3D hardware but running WP7?
it is not mediocre at all wp7 doesn't need all that top of the line hardware to run fast and stable like Android does. wish people would understand that. my arrive runs faster than my cousins EVO!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom--> HTC Trophy

WMFan85 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I agree, I currently have an LG Fathom running 6.5.3 with a 1Ghz snapdragon and 256 RAM and it smokes my wife's Droid pro. I can't imagine what WP7 is going to be like.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:57 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

jaeskill is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
4G communications
1800 mah battery
BT 3.0
USB 3.0
11 mm or slimmer

Lets say VZW is developing a super WP7 device... what would be the logic behind not selling the phone that is already in their inventory and has been for months? It passed FCC approval, they made flyers for pre orders, it was ready to go (for all we know). Do you really think VZW will say to the pre-order customers: "You committed to the Trohy... but you're really getting this better phone!" I don't think so.

So my question is why wait? They dont when it comes to Droid phones.

WP7 doesn't need the internals of the super phones being announced... but some improvements would increase the headroom that the OS has and increase what it is capable of.

Last edited by jaeskill; 04-21-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 PM
boe
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
it is not mediocre at all wp7 doesn't need all that top of the line hardware to run fast and stable like Android does. wish people would understand that. my arrive runs faster than my cousins EVO!!!
I said the hardware is mediocre - not the OS. Just because I have a BluRay player, if I hook it up to a 19" zenith black and white - it still sucks. a 3.7/3.8" screen when you can have 4.3? 3G when 4G has been out for a while? a 1250mah battery when people with WP7 phones on GSM (which requires less power than CDMA) are complaining about battery life on their 1500mah WP7 phones - really - you can't put aside your fanboyism about WP7 to realize the attack isn't on WP7 but the 2 year old hardware that Verizon wants to sell?

Just because minimum system requirements for Windows 7 is a Pentium 3 1Ghz, 1 GB of memory and 16 GB of storage and a small VGA monitor - doesn't mean that is what a windows 7 fanboy should buy from worst buy. A little headroom is a good thing. I upgraded my vogue through 3 revisions of WM. Why would anyone want to have the minimum hardware?

Last edited by boe; 04-21-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:10 PM
boe
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeskill View Post
Lets say VZW is developing a super WP7 device... what would be the logic behind not selling the phone that is already in their inventory and has been for months? It passed FCC approval, they made flyers for pre orders, it was ready to go (for all we know). Do you really think VZW will say to the pre-order customers: "You committed to the Trohy... but you're really getting this better phone!" I don't think so.

So my question is why wait? They dont when it comes to Droid phones.

WP7 doesn't need the internals of the super phones being announced... but some improvements would increase the headroom that the OS has and increase what it is capable of.
I agree. While I doubt this IS what is happening - rather it is what I'd hope is happening. Would you rather just bend over and say - yep Verizon's got them in stock but they are just going to hold on to them for a few more months - that will make the hardware appreciate in value because nothing makes electronics more valueable than age! If you believe it I have plenty of 2X CD players and 1 GB hard drives along with a plethora of amber monochrome CRTs I'll be happy to sell you.

What I'm doing is trying to look at it as a glass half full - maybe Verizon's not dicking us over by holding on to their precious Trophy but trying to clear their inventory of an already antiquated piece of hardware of which they had a limited stock and are getting something far better for their loyal customers

Last edited by boe; 04-21-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions