PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 01:44 AM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: Sprint

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Voice Dialing with Android

Hello,

I have some questions about voice dialing with Android. I'm considering getting it but voice dialing is an extremely important feature to me.

1a - Can I voice dial by BT?
1b - Can I initiate the call by pressing the button on my BT headset?
1c - Does it give me an option to verify?
(on my current phone I say "call Mrs. Smith at home" on my BT headset. Then it verifies it got the name correct and I say "yes" and it dials.

2 - can I assign voice dialing to a physical button on the phone?

3 - Can I disable other voice functions such as checking battery strength or play music?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:03 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Voice Dialing with Android

1 - yes; the implementation though is not really that good. #2 have not found a way. #3 that depends on your headset.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:17 AM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch
Threadstarter

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Wow - that might be a dealbreaker. Other than that it looks promising. Maybe they fix it with Android 2.3?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

From what I've read, 1c is not an option with the stock voice dialer. There's nothing in the 2.3 changelog that indicates support for voice dialing confirmation, but folks with a Nexus S might be able to shed more light.

As for #3, OP didn't specify clearly whether this was for checking headset battery life and listening to A2DP music through the headset, versus *controlling* music on the phone and checking *phone* battery life via the headset. The former options depend on the headset as benc indicated. The latter options depend on the phone. With Windows Mobile voice command, you can un-check the options for voice command to listen for prompts about playing music and speaking phone status (I don't think this saves any memory usage, but it might result in fewer mistakes in understanding commands since there is less to "listen for").

1c (voice dial confirmation) is important to me too. I could see a scenario where I try to dial someone named Michael and the phone starts playing Metallica. Having confirmation (and the ability to turn off media commands) would be good things.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I have never had VD pull up music when using BT, but most of the time when I say something like "call dad on mobile" it calls dunnigan's donuts in Wyoming...and I live in Central Florida.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

I have an update here. On the shift I installed Cyberon Voice Dialer (it was a buck when I bought it a couple days ago). Works perfectly. You have to restart your phone after installing it or it won't find any of your contacts - I think that's one reason people say it doesn't work, since they don't follow the directions.

When you install it and press your BT button, Android offers the choice of Cyberon or the Android voice dialer. You choose Cyberon and click "always choose this option" or whatever to make it the default. Then it brings up a prompt. You say who you want to call and it CONFIRMS. You can say "yes" or "no". Also it will bring up a list, so if you happen to be looking at your screen you can say "first" or "second", etc. to choose the other possibilities in the list.

I don't work for them but I applaud that they were able to do something so stupidly basic that every phone since my Motorola V710 could do flawlessly and the mighty Google can't even get right. Google employees probably sleep in their cubes anyway so they never drive anywhere where they would need handsfree.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G LTE

Da Uniq 1 is keeping up the good workDa Uniq 1 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to Da Uniq 1 Send a message via MSN to Da Uniq 1 Send a message via Yahoo to Da Uniq 1

I have had Vlingo open when I use my headset.

Evo with Plantronics Voyager Pro.

And Vlingo is free
Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Vlingo is not working for me on the Shift with the Jawbone Icon nor the Joby Zivio Boom. Can you post a quick howto? Also it just crashed my Shift when I tried to tell it to send a text message.

Edit: the bluetooth rebooting thing is apparently a known bug which they are working on. For now I'll stick with my 99-cent Cyberon voice commander.

Last edited by haus; 01-17-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

Bonbons is a n00b

Is there an app for a voice dialing program?
Old 03-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Did you see post 6?

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/general-an...ml#post2036199

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion