PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero > CDMA HTC Hero Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 08:46 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Hero - Fresh ROM
Carrier: Sprint

flipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[ROM] 01/01/10-1.1 | fresh rom | a new year release!

flipz(mode) and freshlyill are proud to release: Fresh Rom for CDMA HTC Hero (Sprint) 1.1!
A new year release!

[Home Page] [Downloads] [FAQ] [Fixes] [Known Issues] [News]

Special thanks to the testers / motivators. From xda: n0j, 702droid, toastcfh, abcdfv, 27s, kcarpenter. And from ppcgeeks: thacounty, athlet1c. And of course everyone else!

Base: RUU_Hero_C_Sprint_1.56.651.2_signed_release (Now built off the official RUU!)
Tested with: recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2

Quote:
In this release (1.0) 12/10/09:

The most noticeable change that people will see is the work that is being done to port Espresso's Rosie over to Fresh ROM. I really like the look of the new Rosie and therefore am putting it in here. If you don't like it never fear. I can assure you that someone will put together a standard rosie theme that will put you back to all green. The pre-kitchen is 100% compatible with this rom. You will see that some parts of the rom are blue while some are green. This is exactly how the Espresso dump is. In fact the espresso dump is even worse! But freshlyill is working hard to spread it out to more applications. We'll post an update when it's ready.

• Added: ES File Explorer 1.2.5.1 (i’m liking it a lot more than astro)
  • Updated: wifi tether from 1.6 pre-3 to 1.6 final
  • Updated: busybox to remove color codes (thanks to obelisk, I didn’t know this existed)
  • Updated: ad-less browsing hosts file (dec 22)
  • Updated: ensured that all files matched what they are in the most up-to-date RUU
  • Modified: removed the “lock” image from the left screen and left it totally blank (as voted on here. if the lock screen is still showing your old wallpaper then there is a tool in the pre-kitchen to clear the cache).
  • Modified: espresso inspired rosie (light blue highlights)
  • Modified: espresso inspired dialer (light blue highlights)
  • Modified: battery icon
  • Modified: re-optimized and zipalign’d apk’s after several changes to them
  • Modified: signal icon
  • Modified: removed “Sprint” from the lockscreen
  • Modified: removed the 800×480 images from sdk’s that had them
  • Modified: launcher to remove the landscape files
  • Modified: htc contacts to remove the landscape files
  • Modified: htc weather widget to remove the landscape files
  • Modified: rosie to remove the landscape files
  • Modified: htc contacts to remove the landscape files
  • Fixed: headphone icon (left it out of 1.0 on accident)
  • Fixed: GPS icons (left it out of 1.0 on accident)
  • Fixed: speakerphone icon (left it out of 1.0 on accident)
  • Removed: dropbear
  • Removed: teeter (i’ll be adding it to the kitchen)
  • Removed: HTC location manager (for me this has seemed to resolve our phone lag caused by location service. It dramtically cuts down on the heartbeats. but my phone is generally rebooted multiple times per day so only time will tell if this works)
  • Removed: .bats in /system/app (accidentally left them in from my deodexing)
  • Removed: astro file manager (keep in mind you will need to uninstall it. I don’t want to force remove it because those people that still use it)
  • Removed: field trial
  • Removed: jbed
  • Removed: learn more (i did this a while ago, not sure when it got back in. lol)
  • Removed: sprint app updated
  • Removed: sdsa
  • Removed: quick office
  • Removed: html viewer
  • Removed: im plugins

Known Issues:
  • If you came from a fresh install rather than an update, the standard clock&weather widget that is on the home page will not pull your location automatically. More information coming soon. Current workaround is to delete it, then add it back and actually pick your location. Don't select "current location." More info and fix here.
  • Flash player is not working in the browser. More info and fix here.

Download Link: http://geekfor.me/new-release/fresh-rom-1-1/

Flashing this rom should keep all of your personal settings and should not wipe anything but you are doing it at your own risk. I make no promises on what may happen to your device and your data. This also means that unlike winmo, it's not going to look different after you flash. It will look just as it was before hand.

Requirements:
A rooted CDMA HTC Hero by Sprint. RA's recovery loaded on. If you have any questions on that then please visit one of the other various threads on here about how to root your phone.

How to use it:
0. Create a nandroid backup!
1. Copy this rom (do not unzip) to the root of your sdcard using one of the various methods.
2. Go to the recovery program by either typing "reboot recovery" from an adb shell or by powering off the phone and holding Home while you power it on.
3. Scroll down to "Apply sdcard: choose zip" and select the zipped rom. Press the home button to confirm you want to write it.
4. After it finishes (takes several minutes) click "Reboot system now".

Bugs? Questions? Comments? Ideas? Please post here.

Last edited by flipzmode; 01-12-2010 at 03:14 AM.
This post has been thanked 36 times.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:34 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Hero - Fresh ROM
Threadstarter

flipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIP
Re: [ROM] fresh | MODS please merge | official thread

Resolving some issues

1) After upgrading to 0.5d I have root but my apps that require root won't work.

Looks like I packaged the wrong su with 0.5d. My fault! If you need root apps then you will need to re-root. Please check any of the various threads to do that. But other than that 0.5d is safe to upgrade to. I'll fix it in the next one.
---------------------------------------------------

And my rant about apps2sd:

**My note about Apps2SD: I added support for it in this release of the rom because people who were using it in other roms that tried to install this rom were receiving errors. Here's my point of view on it.

I played with it for over 8 hours today between implementing it and then testing it to make sure this fix would work. I have personally come to not like apps2sd, but I am including it for those who use it.

The reason I don't like it is because it puts your phone at a huge risk of having problems once anything goes wrong. If you install a program that causes issues, a nandroid backup will not resolve the issue because the application is installed on your SD card not your phone. If your phone starts going crazy as reported here and here, then even just a restore possibly won't fix it. You might need to go as far as to wipe your SD card too. If you are lucky enough to have a restore fix your problems you will still need to reinstall every app, even if you didn't wipe your card. And on top of that when you try to reinstall any app it will think it's still installed, even though you restored your phone. But when you click "uninstall" it will just freeze half the time because there's nothing on the phone for it to actually install. I have also read many threads that say if you happen to boot the phone up without the SD card in then it will screw everything up.

So now maybe you are wondering why I would add Apps2SD support in this rom. In order for people who are currently using Apps2SD to upgrade to this rom I must support it or require them to do a hard reset before coming to fresh. Clearly I don't want you to have to reset so I have supported it. With that said: I personally recommend not using it. This rom will auto-use it if your SD card is formatted for it (fat32+ext2+swap partitions) but it won't use it if you are only partitioned as 1 fat32. My suggestion is to stick to the 1 partition and let your applications install on the phone. Linux is not like Windows in the sense that it will run the same whether you phone has 140 megs free of storage space or 10 megs free. So unless you plan on installing 100 apps, I don't see the practical purposes of using Apps2SD. But a lot of people like it.

Now with all of THAT said -- this rom officially has and supports Apps2SD. It is a program that I think has the possibility of being great, but has to work within the confines of the phone which means tricking Android in to thinking that the applications are installed on the phone when they aren't. That is what leads to all the problems mentioned above.

Last edited by flipzmode; 11-22-2009 at 02:25 PM.
This post has been thanked 8 times.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

THunDA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTHunDA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTHunDA is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: [ROM] 11/17/09-0.2b | fresh rom | apps2sd + busybox added

flashed a few hours ago and it worked fine coming from modaco with apps2sd setup. Thanks for the input about apps2sd, thats very interesting and its making me reconsider my use of it since I dont have anywhere near 100 apps installed.. I think I probably uninstall some I dont use before I get to 100..

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2009, 02:59 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; A6277 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Starting to look good. I will switch if u add Su permission. Is Facebook broken w this Rom?

Edit: I just realized u removed wireless tether. Please bring this app back!

Last edited by thacounty; 11-17-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:51 PM
White Monster > Red Bull

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; A6277 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Just tried it. Facebook is broken just like modacos.

Maybe not, trouble w one contact bit others working fine. Also WiFi tether is here after coming from modaco and so is spare parts. Another plus haha.

Last edited by thacounty; 11-17-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:37 PM
White Monster > Red Bull

Now that I'm at a pc I can make a comment that is worth something maybe. I love the boot screen! I also love the boot sound! Coming from Modaco meant I kept WiFi tether, SU Permission, and Spare Parts. I could do without spare parts, but it isn't too bad! I love how fast this rom is! I also love that Facebook isn't broken, except for that one contact. Everything else seems the same, except as stated, no bloatware, which I am doing great without!! Thanks for a good rom, I'm looking forward to your latest releases!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

Vertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

How can I get rid of App2Sd? I'm using Modaco atm but the misname issue every time I want to try something new is driving me bananas.. also how to revert your SD card back to normal? Do you have a version of your ROM w/o app2sd?

TIA!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:45 PM
White Monster > Red Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
How can I get rid of App2Sd? I'm using Modaco atm but the misname issue every time I want to try something new is driving me bananas.. also how to revert your SD card back to normal? Do you have a version of your ROM w/o app2sd?

TIA!
To rid a2sd2:

Backup sd card

Boot into recovery

Partition SD Card Fat32 Only

Do a Nandroid Restore

Boot up.

Go back into recovery and flash whatever rom you'd like.

You don't have to use A2SD2 with this rom, if you don't have SD partitioned as ext2 it won't do it.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

Vertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacounty View Post
To rid a2sd2:

Backup sd card

Boot into recovery

Partition SD Card Fat32 Only

Do a Nandroid Restore

Boot up.

Go back into recovery and flash whatever rom you'd like.

You don't have to use A2SD2 with this rom, if you don't have SD partitioned as ext2 it won't do it.

Great thanks a lot! I will try this while driving home! text and driving is illegal but not flashing your phone!!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:49 PM
White Monster > Red Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Great thanks a lot! I will try this while driving home! text and driving is illegal but not flashing your phone!!!!
Haha exactly!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero > CDMA HTC Hero Development