PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Lightbulb No 5G?

I read an interesting article highlighting the very real possibility of there not being a so-called "5G" network...

Last edited by BigDiesel07; 12-12-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (off that) ---> (on to) Touch Pro 2
Carrier: The Now Network

RockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuffRockSta® knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to RockSta®
Re: No 5G?

I cant hit the link! Anyway a 5G network? whats that do? we cant even support video calling on our networks and we want 5G? what ever happened to WinMax?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Threadstarter

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level

I fixed the link... Thanks for the heads up about that... 5G is basically anything over 100 Mbps... Consider Sprint's 3G is 3.1 Mbps... Wi-Max is considered a 4G network...
Old 12-12-2008, 03:53 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207

Sorry to threadjack. But I have a questions bout Wimax.

Does it work anything like the T-mobile at home service? where you hook it up to your router and you use that to make calls when you in the house instead of using your minutes?

Old 12-12-2008, 03:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

trance2002 is becoming a great contributor

WiMax as is is being pushed out by Clearwire is based on the 802.16e standard. Which is a totally new air interface to any of the handsets we have today. To use that network or any of the LTE networks that are coming, we'll all be buying new hardware. I'm not saying they wouldn't build a WiMax femtocell that might look like a WiFi router but we are talking about toatlly different technologies.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun0207 View Post
Sorry to threadjack. But I have a questions bout Wimax.

Does it work anything like the T-mobile at home service? where you hook it up to your router and you use that to make calls when you in the house instead of using your minutes?
In a very simplified version, yes, it is kinda like T-Mobile @Home... The T-Mobile @ Home uses Wi-Fi to transmit Data and Voice.. Wi-Max is a whole new technology, but it transmits Data and Voice much like the T-Mobile @Home does.. Also, Wi-Max is more like a cellular network in that it can span a much larger area then just a house..

Wi-Max is 4G.. It is Sprint's 4G network... I believe that Wi-Max will not be sold like a Femtocell.. It will be built on towers, much like today's wireless network is set up.. It is a whole new technology, so devices have to be built to use it..

And you apologized and recognized that you were thread jacking... It's no problem!
Old 12-12-2008, 04:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

trance2002 is becoming a great contributor

The article is kind of pointless. I don't think anyone is expecting that all the capital needed to rollout WiMaxand LTE is just going to be scrapped when the next new thing comes along. Of course it is the economincs that drives deployment. If that wasn't the case we'd already have thrown away EVDO because it's getting pretty old now. Are we going to be complaining in 2015 that we only have 300 mbps available per basestation? Probably not but maybe. If there is a compelling business case then somebody will build the next new thing at that point. It really depends on how mobile data is imbraced by the general public. People on this site are still really the early adopters of mobile data. Most people still just want to be able to place a call.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:17 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

here is what is killin me.... will my pro connect to the wimax

Old 12-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby50 View Post
here is what is killin me.... will my pro connect to the wimax
No... The Touch Pro does not have the correct radio/chipset to connect to Wi-Max
Old 12-12-2008, 04:20 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

****! then when is wimax coming and what phones WILL support it when it does come

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion