PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Carrier Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   No 5G? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48806)

BigDiesel07 12-12-2008 03:44 PM

No 5G?

I read an interesting article highlighting the very real possibility of there not being a so-called "5G" network...

RockSta® 12-12-2008 03:48 PM

Re: No 5G?

I cant hit the link! Anyway a 5G network? whats that do? we cant even support video calling on our networks and we want 5G? what ever happened to WinMax?

BigDiesel07 12-12-2008 03:50 PM

I fixed the link... Thanks for the heads up about that... 5G is basically anything over 100 Mbps... Consider Sprint's 3G is 3.1 Mbps... Wi-Max is considered a 4G network...

shaun0207 12-12-2008 03:53 PM

Sorry to threadjack. But I have a questions bout Wimax.

Does it work anything like the T-mobile at home service? where you hook it up to your router and you use that to make calls when you in the house instead of using your minutes?

trance2002 12-12-2008 03:57 PM

WiMax as is is being pushed out by Clearwire is based on the 802.16e standard. Which is a totally new air interface to any of the handsets we have today. To use that network or any of the LTE networks that are coming, we'll all be buying new hardware. I'm not saying they wouldn't build a WiMax femtocell that might look like a WiFi router but we are talking about toatlly different technologies.

BigDiesel07 12-12-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun0207 (Post 574671)
Sorry to threadjack. But I have a questions bout Wimax.

Does it work anything like the T-mobile at home service? where you hook it up to your router and you use that to make calls when you in the house instead of using your minutes?

In a very simplified version, yes, it is kinda like T-Mobile @Home... The T-Mobile @ Home uses Wi-Fi to transmit Data and Voice.. Wi-Max is a whole new technology, but it transmits Data and Voice much like the T-Mobile @Home does.. Also, Wi-Max is more like a cellular network in that it can span a much larger area then just a house..

Wi-Max is 4G.. It is Sprint's 4G network... I believe that Wi-Max will not be sold like a Femtocell.. It will be built on towers, much like today's wireless network is set up.. It is a whole new technology, so devices have to be built to use it..

And you apologized and recognized that you were thread jacking... It's no problem!

trance2002 12-12-2008 04:13 PM

The article is kind of pointless. I don't think anyone is expecting that all the capital needed to rollout WiMaxand LTE is just going to be scrapped when the next new thing comes along. Of course it is the economincs that drives deployment. If that wasn't the case we'd already have thrown away EVDO because it's getting pretty old now. Are we going to be complaining in 2015 that we only have 300 mbps available per basestation? Probably not but maybe. If there is a compelling business case then somebody will build the next new thing at that point. It really depends on how mobile data is imbraced by the general public. People on this site are still really the early adopters of mobile data. Most people still just want to be able to place a call.

hibby50 12-12-2008 04:17 PM

here is what is killin me.... will my pro connect to the wimax

BigDiesel07 12-12-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibby50 (Post 574714)
here is what is killin me.... will my pro connect to the wimax

No... The Touch Pro does not have the correct radio/chipset to connect to Wi-Max

hibby50 12-12-2008 04:20 PM

****! then when is wimax coming and what phones WILL support it when it does come