PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How good is Android on TP2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
haha I don't know , but I can't tether lol
Wifi tethering is flaky, but it does work. USB tethering was pretty solid for me, and charged the phone at the same time.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch pro2

Flagmax is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.1.25577/26.958; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

Yah I noticed once I enable WIFI hotspot, it drains the battery even after I turn it off. It feels like it never turns off eventhough it says its off. And it won'tn turn back on for the second time. Then after a min or so the phone reboots.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagmax View Post
Yah I noticed once I enable WIFI hotspot, it drains the battery even after I turn it off. It feels like it never turns off eventhough it says its off. And it won'tn turn back on for the second time. Then after a min or so the phone reboots.
lol, that's pretty much it.

I think some of the third party ones (XDAndroid wifi tether would be third party even) don't implode like the built-in one does for us. The issue with those is they don't use an 'actual' AP, they use what is called an 'ad-hoc' connection. For most laptops this isn't a problem, but there's a lot of other devices that can't use ad-hoc. Just doesn't even see 'em.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
lol, that's pretty much it.

I think some of the third party ones (XDAndroid wifi tether would be third party even) don't implode like the built-in one does for us. The issue with those is they don't use an 'actual' AP, they use what is called an 'ad-hoc' connection. For most laptops this isn't a problem, but there's a lot of other devices that can't use ad-hoc. Just doesn't even see 'em.
thanks for the link , it might solve my woes ! my issue seemed as if WiFi tether program wasn't able to turn on my WiFi . but the kernel he has in that link might help .

Last edited by elesbb; 10-08-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2 (TP2)

Paran0idAndr0id is a n00b

The built-in mobile hotspot works ok, but does freeze the phone up, even after I turned it off. I needed to use a task killer to completely stop it. For usb tethering I still use WinMo's Internet Sharing using the registry hack that still works. Sometimes I even use it using bluetooth PAN if I don't mind the slow bandwidth.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paran0idAndr0id View Post
The built-in mobile hotspot works ok, but does freeze the phone up, even after I turned it off. I needed to use a task killer to completely stop it. For usb tethering I still use WinMo's Internet Sharing using the registry hack that still works. Sometimes I even use it using bluetooth PAN if I don't mind the slow bandwidth.
Wifi tethering is pretty awful in Android... but USB tethering in Android is solid for me. You say you use it in WinMo..? Have you tried it in Android? I used to USB tether all day long in Android, literally.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Lurker

Quote:
You say you use it in WinMo..? Have you tried it in Android? I used to USB tether all day long in Android, literally.

I haven't tried USB tethering in Android yet, but may give it a try. I've been USB tethering in stock Sprint rom for WinMo 6.5 and get between 1.0-2.75 Mbps DL in my location, changing the registry and built in internet sharing. So far, have used it without any issues for the last couple of years:

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
Extension="" Delete the "isext.dll" entry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\settings]
ForceCellConnection="Sprint"
The only thing that might deter me right now from using frx071 exclusively is the battery consumption. I'm still tweaking things to try to improve, using AutoKiller Memory Optimizer, Advanced Task Killer, turning off location services, gps, etc.

The battery indicator seems schizophrenic. It's 100% one minute, then 10 minutes later it's 73%, 5 min later it's 78%? lol. 5 min on a charger goes from 74% to 89%, 20 min later, goes from 92% to 100%.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
The only thing that might deter me right now from using frx071 exclusively is the battery consumption. I'm still tweaking things to try to improve, using AutoKiller Memory Optimizer, Advanced Task Killer, turning off location services, gps, etc.

The battery indicator seems schizophrenic. It's 100% one minute, then 10 minutes later it's 73%, 5 min later it's 78%? lol. 5 min on a charger goes from 74% to 89%, 20 min later, goes from 92% to 100%.
The battery meter is completely schizo. There's a battery calibration app on the Market that I've been told has helped... and jonpry's SCBS work was amazing, but never was enabled for other devices and wasn't implemented mainline...

As for autokiller, I wouldn't use any of that junk - unless something is preventing the phone from sleeping or has frozen and you didn't get a FC message. I'd use the SuperCharger script and just set the minfree's & OOM settings so Android will just manage your memory more aggressively - then you don't need any apps! No bloat, just adjusting the values that Android uses to manage your applications.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Lurker

Quote:
The battery meter is completely schizo. There's a battery calibration app on the Market that I've been told has helped... and jonpry's SCBS work was amazing, but never was enabled for other devices and wasn't implemented mainline...

As for autokiller, I wouldn't use any of that junk - unless something is preventing the phone from sleeping or has frozen and you didn't get a FC message. I'd use the SuperCharger script and just set the minfree's & OOM settings so Android will just manage your memory more aggressively - then you don't need any apps! No bloat, just adjusting the values that Android uses to manage your applications.

Thanks for the info. Should I also remove Droidwall? lol I figured all these were just redundant to have, but wasn't sure which of these were the most useful, if any.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Should I also remove Droidwall? lol I figured all these were just redundant to have, but wasn't sure which of these were the most useful, if any.
I like droidwall... that app filters internet access for applications. Basically a frontend for iptables.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2