PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 01:41 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

kf4qhk is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How good is Android on TP2?

Hey guys,

I got a new TP2 from warranty today - and it's pristine, no scratches, and since it works, I am going to add Android, I think. What all is functional on it? What version of Android will it be? Can I leave it in Android Mode permanently?

Thanks.

Jeremy
Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Apache->Mogul->TP2-> EVO 3D

Slwitek is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to Slwitek Send a message via Yahoo to Slwitek
Re: How good is Android on TP2?

Go for it and never look back! WM is DEAD. I have used XDAndroid on my phone exclusively for about a month now. I havent tried Bluetooth yet, but everything else works great on mine. I don't have any real complaints. The Market works just fine so you now have access to "new" programs. I overclock a little bit and have made some speed adjustments and it is pretty snappy. Some programs I have didnt work and I am not sure why, but it its probably hardware related. I wouldnt be scared at all. Cant get Slingplayer to work though, which is my only reason for going back to WM...

Old 09-03-2011, 09:47 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

kf4qhk is a n00b

I have browsed and found several tutorials and/or videos on installing that on the TP2. Is one better than the other?

What version of Android comes with this install? 1.5? 2.1? 2.2?

So, what I am reading - you can pretty much run your phone in Android all the time, and make calls/do everything? I thought that I had read that initially, sound wasn't working on it.but, you've made it work? Do you leave yours in Android all the time?

Jeremy
Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4qhk View Post
I have browsed and found several tutorials and/or videos on installing that on the TP2. Is one better than the other?

What version of Android comes with this install? 1.5? 2.1? 2.2?

So, what I am reading - you can pretty much run your phone in Android all the time, and make calls/do everything? I thought that I had read that initially, sound wasn't working on it.but, you've made it work? Do you leave yours in Android all the time?

Jeremy
Don't overthink it - there's no risk in running Android the way we run it (off of the SD card). There's literally no risk of bricking - simply reset your phone to go back to WinMo.

As for builds, FroYo is the most stable (2.2): http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/android-tp...e-release.html

GingerBread (2.3) is pretty snappy, but it still has some issues that FroYo doesn't have: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/android-tp...ha-camera.html

Most things work, and this is a good thread that goes thru what works and what doesn't (and how to fix it if possible http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/android-tp...ted-frx07.html

Give it a shot! You've got nothing to lose but a little bit of time.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:11 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

kf4qhk is a n00b

Ok - I read where the program has to be installed to the "root of the SD card." I don't have a memory card adapter, and I have my TP2 set to "file sharing" in Windows Mobile - how do I find the SD card so I can install this program to it?

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:14 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

kf4qhk is a n00b

Never mind - I figured it out.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:16 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

kf4qhk is a n00b

Which Rhodium is the Touch Pro 2 Sprint? I see 5 choices.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Boost

mbellot is keeping up the good workmbellot is keeping up the good work

RHOD400 is the Sprint model.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:37 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

kf4qhk is a n00b

Thanks all of you for your help.

It's cool having Android on my phone.

Question - on this phone, i have contacts that I don't have anywhere else. I have a gmail account that most of my contacts are in, but, not all of them. I nkow I can sync this droid software with my gmail and get the contacts from that account, but, is there a way that I can co-sync them?

Is there a risk of syncing with Google on the android side and losing my contacts on the phone side?

Thanks.

Jeremy
Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4qhk View Post
Thanks all of you for your help.

It's cool having Android on my phone.

Question - on this phone, i have contacts that I don't have anywhere else. I have a gmail account that most of my contacts are in, but, not all of them. I nkow I can sync this droid software with my gmail and get the contacts from that account, but, is there a way that I can co-sync them?

Is there a risk of syncing with Google on the android side and losing my contacts on the phone side?

Thanks.

Jeremy
I sync everything with Google - I always did in WinMo and I always have in Android... contacts sync in both directions, if you add a contact on your phone it syncs to GMail, and if you add a contact (to the "My Contacts" section in GMail) it's automatically synced to the phone.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2