PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Apps & Games

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

Alpine- is keeping up the good workAlpine- is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TomTom on Android 2.x

I've become really partial to using TomTom on my phone when I have to make a quick trip on business. Often I have to go somewhere unfamiliar at the drop of a hat and having TomTom with me at all times is nice. I dont always keep a stand alone GPS Navigation unit in my car.

One thing I know I would miss when going from TP2 to a EVO is TomTom (not to mention SERO). I cant stand Sprint Navigation software, its slow to update and it just isnt as good or as easy to read. Part of it is that I'm probably just familiar with and used to TomTom.

Has TomTom made any official statements regarding releasing TomTom software specifically for Android?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

touch_rules is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartouch_rules is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartouch_rules is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: TomTom on Android 2.x

I gave up on TomTom when I couldn't fix the lag issues on my TP2. I have been using Sprint Nav but I decided to use the google navigator software the other day and I have to say I was very impressed.

1. When you do speech to text it actually works, it doesn't call some number and try to work.

2. When you get near your location, it displays a photo of where your going so you know exactly what your'e looking for.

It was pretty cool, accurate, fast, and loud.

Hope I helped you.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

mr_e is just getting started

I would second the Google Navigation. I used it a few times and it was definitely better than what I remember having on WinMo. It's been improved quite a bit and you can't argue with the price so give it a try.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.0.18302/18.794; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

I really like Garmin's software and they just came out with an android phone. Is there anyway that software could be removed from that Rom for our use.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint - SERO
Threadstarter

Alpine- is keeping up the good workAlpine- is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_e View Post
I would second the Google Navigation. I used it a few times and it was definitely better than what I remember having on WinMo. It's been improved quite a bit and you can't argue with the price so give it a try.
It may be true that the more recent version of Google Navigation are better than Sprint nav. However, I think TomTom (or even Garmin) would be even better.

It is just so easy now to grab latest TomTom + US maps and slap them onto my TP2's memcard. This, along with losing SERO, is sort of a deal breaker for me right now.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

brownmc7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbrownmc7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbrownmc7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

would definitely give google maps a try... it works and its good
Old 06-25-2010, 10:51 AM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

I will NEVER pay for navigation software when google nav works as well as it does.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:57 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Another vote for Google Maps. Free, frequent upgrades, etc.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

jhale83 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine- View Post
I've become really partial to using TomTom on my phone when I have to make a quick trip on business. Often I have to go somewhere unfamiliar at the drop of a hat and having TomTom with me at all times is nice. I dont always keep a stand alone GPS Navigation unit in my car.

One thing I know I would miss when going from TP2 to a EVO is TomTom (not to mention SERO). I cant stand Sprint Navigation software, its slow to update and it just isnt as good or as easy to read. Part of it is that I'm probably just familiar with and used to TomTom.

Has TomTom made any official statements regarding releasing TomTom software specifically for Android?
If you want a GPS option that resides on your SD card (so you don't have to rely on network signal) CoPilot is a good option for Android. I think it's $29.99 or something like that from the market. I actually purchased this when I had WinMo and they let me transfer my license over to Android. With that being said, I typically use Google Navigation as my GPS first, then Sprint Nav second (it's much better on my EVO than it was on my TP2) and CoPilot third. There's not anything wrong with CoPilot, I just prefer those others more. The great thing about the Android market is you can go out and install CoPilot and use it for 24 hours and if it's not for you, uninstall it within that 24 hour period and get a refund.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine- View Post
It may be true that the more recent version of Google Navigation are better than Sprint nav. However, I think TomTom (or even Garmin) would be even better.

It is just so easy now to grab latest TomTom + US maps and slap them onto my TP2's memcard. This, along with losing SERO, is sort of a deal breaker for me right now.
i thought i'd miss my garmin xt app that i had on my tp2, but google nav is just too awesome. so fluid, and works great.

all i gotta say is if you haven't tried it, then u just don't know. the only caveat is you need an internet connection.

btw, i can use garminxt and my old tp2 as a standalone gps

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Apps & Games