PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Apps & Games
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 02:40 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TomTom on Android 2.x

Moved to Android Apps & Games

CW

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic with Cyanogenmod 7
Carrier: Sprint

jamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on repjamice4u is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine- View Post
It may be true that the more recent version of Google Navigation are better than Sprint nav. However, I think TomTom (or even Garmin) would be even better.

It is just so easy now to grab latest TomTom + US maps and slap them onto my TP2's memcard. This, along with losing SERO, is sort of a deal breaker for me right now.
For me just losing TOMTOM is the deal beaker for me. When I have to drive to properties in rural area in which sprint does not have coverage I would get lose. Also I read that Co-pilot lags when you use the itinerary and does not reroute very good.

Please don't forget to thank me.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:05 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Straight Talk

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch_rules View Post
I gave up on TomTom when I couldn't fix the lag issues on my TP2. I have been using Sprint Nav but I decided to use the google navigator software the other day and I have to say I was very impressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_e View Post
I would second the Google Navigation. I used it a few times and it was definitely better than what I remember having on WinMo. It's been improved quite a bit and you can't argue with the price so give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownmc7 View Post
would definitely give google maps a try... it works and its good
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I will NEVER pay for navigation software when google nav works as well as it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
Another vote for Google Maps. Free, frequent upgrades, etc.
the problem with google maps is that it's all OTA based. it may be cached a bit but the bottom line, to get it working properly, you have to have data signal for everything to download as you go. it's such a nice software, sometimes we forget that it's downloading in the background as we go. while this may be practical for most local trips, for someone that travels through the mountains or in areas where Sprint doesnt have good service, it won't work very well. Having a standalone navigation program with all the maps on your SD card is the way to go here.

As for TomTom. Sorry OP. To say they are slacking would be an understatement. The have posted that they are working on an android version but who knows when it will be available. I have both CoPilot and Igo on mine.

The CoPilot works amazingly well. It has TTS also. The only things that i've noticed so far about the CoPilot that I don't like is that for some reason, it won't use my contacts even though it's an option and for some reason, even though the maps are "current" they really aren't. My office buliding has been here for 2 years, yet the maps don't list it as existing. Weird.

Igo, on the other hand has some issues. So far I can't find a resolution of it that works on the EVO. it's a little large for the screen or very small on the screen (i've tried several version). Also. It doesn't have TTS (which i really like).

So. There you are my friends. My take on all this.

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly, neighborhood DarkLord.

-MightyMike was here.... true story!

Last edited by DarkLord; 07-08-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 AM
VIP Member

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamice4u View Post
For me just losing TOMTOM is the deal beaker for me. When I have to drive to properties in rural area in which sprint does not have coverage I would get lose. Also I read that Co-pilot lags when you use the itinerary and does not reroute very good.
I have also noticed that Co-pilot does lag sometimes. But to be brutally honest, everyone i've ever tried lagged just as much when i was running it on my TP2 (including TomTom).

I was a HUGE TomTom fan until they started blocking the traffic add-on for WM users. After they did that, I kicked their sorry butts to the curb.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

eladiogomes is a n00b

I second here Alpine-, I am about to move from HTC PRO 2 to EVO and am desperate looking for a GPS software. I understand all arguments regarding GN and SN being better on EVO, but I can't depend on cell signal, I am too aften on the road where there's no signal and that would be a big problem for me.

I right now use iGo 8 on my Pro 2 and would like to know if anybody knows of other options for GPS software besides CoPilot?

Thanks for any reply/help!
Old 08-28-2010, 11:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

nootrak4 is a n00b

Well I hada stand alone GPS Unit (TomTom) and now i use the GN, before the 2.2 upgrade it did a really good job at re-routing you. now it does like every other GPS unit it try to put you back in the original route instead of just working with your current direction. There are things missing in the GN.

1. It does not track you speed.
2. It does not display the road speed limit.
3. It does not warn you if you want to take a toll route or not.
4. It does not ask if you want to take a shorter route or fast route or avoid Highways.
5. It does not display how many total miles left to go.
6. It does not give you and estimate of what time you will get there (mean if is 11:10am and the trip will take 37 mins, it will not tell you that you will arrive at 11:47)

Keep in mind all this features i came dependent on while using my TTN.

From my experiance it seem like the GN will download all it need for the current route. if you deviate from the route then it will need data to re-route you. The SN is really weak. with the SN you really need to have Data connection all the way has this Nav only downloads parts and it keep updating as you go along.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:42 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Well I get great signal in pretty much all of this area. I've been as far north as DC and as far west as Houston using Google Maps without a hickup. Plus I hate how much space those maps take up on the sd.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Well I get great signal in pretty much all of this area. I've been as far north as DC and as far west as Houston using Google Maps without a hickup. Plus I hate how much space those maps take up on the sd.
it will bite you in the ass when you least expect it. you couldn't pay me to just rely on an OTA navi system. no way.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

CrozB is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord View Post
it will bite you in the ass when you least expect it. you couldn't pay me to just rely on an OTA navi system. no way.
Yep!

Went on a ride this weekend. Most of the ride was 1x data or none at all. When I needed to reroute it took minutes to load a new route, or it would just give up.

As long as you stay on your route 100% of the way when data is slow or non existence you are fine with OTA. Need to reroute then you are S.O.L.

I have tried all the offline GPS programs for Android (NDrive, CoPilot etc) and they are pretty lame IMHO.

I think I am going to pickup a HD2 on Craiglist and run it as a stand alone GPS until Android can get some good GPS programs like Garmin, iGo, or TomTom.

-
Old 09-06-2010, 11:05 AM
rdm
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, Treo Pro

rdm is a n00b

navigon adnroid works well although US maps at this point require some effort