PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 09:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro - 6850
Carrier: Sprint

Gardoon is keeping up the good workGardoon is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PokerChrono Poker Tournament Timer

As requested by users here (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73292), I have created a tournament timer for Windows Mobile. It is a work in progress, so please provide suggestions, feedback, and any defects you find (including compatibility).

Please click "Thanks" if you like it

Enjoy!

* Requires .NET CF 3.5

Please do not redistribute or re-post this app without my permission. Thank you!

Release Notes:
v 1.0
- Initial release

v 1.1
- removed 1 second pause after starting or re-starting timer
- added option to pause the timer after each round
- added beep when 30 seconds remain in the round
- set default round time to 15 minutes
- clicking anywhere on the main screen now results in a start/stop - please tell me if this results in accidental usage!

Known issues:
While the app is running, you cannot turn your screen off. It is recommended that you turn down your backlight while using the app to conserve as much battery as possible. Or bring a charger with you I am working on a better solution.

PokerChronoSMP is a temporary work-around while I try to come up with a better power solution. It turns off the always-on feature and relies on the system for power management (System Managed Power). I plan to phase it out shortly as I fix the existing power management feature. If you use this version, please be aware that the timer may stop counting down after your screen shuts off. Also, you will almost certainly not hear the beeps at the end of a round. You can set your system power advanced features to never turn off before you begin your tournament. Don't forget to restore your settings after completing your tournament though!

I recommend bringing your charger. I do not know how long batteries will last while the app is running. If you do use it, please post your battery results along with any other comments.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: cab PokerChrono.CAB (16.6 KB, 21 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: cab PokerChronoSMP.CAB (16.6 KB, 3 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by Gardoon; 11-23-2009 at 07:30 PM.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: PokerChrono Poker Tournament Timer

Reserved
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

From Vancer on the request thread:
1. A start/stop/pause button on the main screen would be good, This would allow for the pre-scheduled breaks (more serious game) or the ability to simply take a break when the table decides to (less serious game) ... speaking of which, can you just run the pre-set breaks down to 0 and it's as if you don't have any scheduled?

2. The app needs to stop at the expiration of a round due to being in the middle of a hand, then started back up for the beginning of the next round and the increased blinds (also a reason for #1)

3. A tab or options page with preset blind structures and/or configurable blind structures

4. Oh yeah, an actual end of round timer sound to go off just before it pauses and waits for your prompt to begin next round/upped blinds ... in a game where guys are a little more serious they will run right past the time if something doesn't sound off to get their attention.

5. the afor mentioned stuff about number of players in the tourney, buy in and payout structure, and the power and config stuff you mentioned would be nice too, but the above stuff is needed to make it usuable to run a small home tournement.

Hope that feedback helps!
--------------------------------------------

1 - The enter button serves as start and stop. Knowing that, do you think I should add another button on the screen? Or would it be worthwhile to make an invisible button behind the main time?

2 - Does my answer to #1 resolve this? I've never seen people stop the time at the end of a round until the hand is over, but that's your choice If you'd prefer, I can move the alert up. I went ahead and added a beep at 0:30 remaining as a warning.

3 - That's the pain that delayed me from finishing up the first release for 2 months. I was so frustrated trying to find a way to allow for editing a datagrid. Seems like I need to bind to a SQL Server Compact DB in order to edit. So I have to come up with a decent UI from scratch. It is coming. In the meantime, you can edit the Blinds.xml in the Program Files\PokerChrono directory on your phone.

4 - It uses your system.beep sound. Three of them at the end of each round. I am adding another at 30 seconds remaining as well. I may look into configuring a custom sound, but at first look it appears that I need a third party control to play any sound. I may be able to use windows media player, but I'm not sure how well that will work. If your system sound is set to nothing, you will not hear any sound.

The suggestion about a pause at the end of each round is contrary to all tournaments I've been a part of. I don't want to build in features that would only be useful to a single person (too many unused features == bad). So if anyone else would like this functionality (it'll be configurable), please say so and I'll add it.

5 - I'm not sure there's anything I can reply to here

Let me know if you continue to have problems with your sound!

Keep the suggestions coming
Old 11-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

Vancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuff
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

1. Either way, the enter will work fine or an invisible one behind the timer would be cool just so it's more "touch" friendly.

2. Ture, just that the particular game I'm playing in this Friday, the guys are far less serious than some and have been simply using a handheld timer for blind changes. They are used to waiting until the next deal to re-start the timer so that's what i was thinking. Guess there's not really a need for it, they can either get used to it, we can increase the time per round by a little bit, or just hit the pause button until the next deal if they are that unwilling to accept a change hehe

4. I could care less about what sound, just something to get our attention. I think your time could be better spent elsewhere rather than trying to figure out a way to customize this at this point "in the game"

... I'll take a look at the blinds.xml and just edit it to what we use in that game.

Thanks man!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

What I'm asking is when you use it now, do you hear the sound? The 30-second warning isn't in there yet, but you should be able to hear 3 beeps at the end of each round. Do you hear them? Does anyone else?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Vancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuff

Yeah i got the 3 beeps at the end of a round no prob
Old 11-18-2009, 12:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Good I'm working on a few fixes right now. I'll post something in 30 minutes or so.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Cool

Think i'm done for tonight, but i'll grab it tomorrow

let me know what you update/change
Old 11-18-2009, 02:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

See post #1 for changes. I spent an hour trying a few things to allow for the time to be clicked for stop/start, but I had no luck. It'll be a bit of a pain to do without the eyesore of a border.

Instead, for the time being, I made it so that if you click ANYWHERE on the main screen, it will start/stop the timer. I'm not a big fan of this because I think it may be easy to tap the screen accidentally. But you guys tell me.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:42 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

Gardoon, this is sweet, I'll try it out this weekend!! Thanks much bro!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software