PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 11:51 AM
N00b

deanerh is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Creating Shortcuts to sites non-PIE browsers?

With PIE, if you wanted to create a shortcut for Start Menu\Programs that would take you to something other than PIE's homepage you could just copy the URL file from Windows\Favorites. Does anyone know how to create a similar type shortcut for Opera?
I tried setting Opera as the default browser, and then trying the URL method, but it still opened PIE
Old 10-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

brightedge is keeping up the good workbrightedge is keeping up the good work
The search button is your friend

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=5615
And in the kitchen, bind them.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:13 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

deanerh is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightedge View Post
The search button is your friend

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=5615
First, thanks for the lead. Tried it and URL shortcuts still open up PIE instead of Opera, even after a soft-reset. The thread you sent me to didn't have a final conclusion that said "It works" or anything, so it’s hard to tell what the final outcome was of that suggestion back in July.

While I appreciated the lead, the "The search button is your friend " is one of those things that isn't really needed. It's basically someone's way of saying either a) "you’re lazy" or b) "you must be a newbie". Typically I research my ass off on these questions. There were 12 pages returned if I searched for "Opera” and you get no hits when you look for "Opera" + "shortcuts". The thread you posted appears on Page 7 of those 12. So let me ask a question........If I already have Opera set and working as my default browser for embedded links (Newsbreak goes straight to Opera), why, while having to skim through 12 pages of search results would I open a thread entitled "Making Opera Mobile Browser Default"? That's not what I needed. I needed a way to create shortcuts for Opera that act the same way the URL files do for PIE. While the suggestion in the forum might have accomplished that, the fact is it doesn’t. More importantly though as it relates to your post, the title of the thread gave no clue to me while I’m searching. Next time, know for certain if the question is being asked out of laziness or simply because the individual has really tried but not been able to solve the issue.

If someone asks a question that we can help them with, let’s give them a hand, instead of being condescending.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker

In short, it was not my intention to be condescending. If my post came across that way, I apologize.

I had this crazy long post, with all this detailed information on registry edits. Turns out all you need is one registry edit, and a special way of working with the shortcut file. Here's what to do:

Change the Value Data of:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSPIE
Value Name:  1
Value Data: iexplore.exe
Value Type:  REG_SZ
To:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\:MSPIE
Value Name:  1
Value Data: "\Program Files\Opera\OperaWM.exe"
Value Type:  REG_SZ
It is essential that you include the quotation marks. If you don't, it won't work. If you installed Opera somewhere else, such as the storage card, adjust the path as needed. Once making the change, wait 1 minute, then soft reset.

The next step is a bit cumbersome. To get a shortcut to launch, you have to create a shortcut of a shortcut, as it were.

So:

1) Use File Explorer to navigate to Windows\Favorites
2) Tap and hold your desired shortcut and choose Copy
3) Move on over to Windows\Start Menu\Programs, tap and hold, and choose Paste Shortcut
4) Tap and hold the shortcut, and choose Properties, then tap on the Shortcut tab at the bottom
5) Replace the text inside the quotes with the URL of the site you want to go to. You must include the http:// or it won't work
6) Launch the shortcut from Start > Programs and bask in the joy that is Opera.

I hope that was more help to you than my original post.

Last edited by brightedge; 10-03-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:27 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

deanerh is a n00b
Thanks...it works. The key was the quotes. Its odd. The original value was iexplorer.exe without quotes, so I had assumed the new one would not need them either. Also, I had used OperaLauncher.exe which is what the shortcut in \Start Menu\Programs has instead of OperaWM.exe.

One odd side affect was that it modified the shortcut that was on my Today Drop down screen to also go to Opera. But I deleted that one and created a new one from \windows\iexplorer.exe.

That previous post was lacking the detail you provided. Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanerh View Post
Thanks...it works. The key was the quotes. Its odd. The original value was iexplorer.exe without quotes, so I had assumed the new one would not need them either. Also, I had used OperaLauncher.exe which is what the shortcut in \Start Menu\Programs has instead of OperaWM.exe.

One odd side affect was that it modified the shortcut that was on my Today Drop down screen to also go to Opera. But I deleted that one and created a new one from \windows\iexplorer.exe.

That previous post was lacking the detail you provided. Thanks again.
You're welcome

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software