PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 10:51 PM
N00b

nsinsinsi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A good, fast launcher for WM?

I've been looking everywhere and I can't believe no one has made a simple launcher for WM.

I am talking about a super lightweight, single-keystroke launcher that can be used to launch one of several often used apps. Kind of like the OSX dock does, or the quicklaunch bar in Windows.

The WM start menu only holds 7 items for some unknown reason. These are the only apps you have fast direct access to. Otherwise, you have to go to programs and find what you're looking for, which is not so easy when you have dozens and dozens of apps in there.

On PalmOS, there is a great app called Scrnbtn. It's a super fast launcher where you can configure any number of pages to hold any number of icons. From any app, you press one key, and the launcher comes up instantly, you press the icon of the app you want, and off you go, in a single action and with a single finger. It's very similar to the way the iPhone works as well: press the home button, and choose your app with your finger.

Some people use the Today screen for this (with one of the many apps that offer Today screen launchers), but it's just not ideal - it's generally slower than it should be, you have to switch to it before you can launch, and eats lots of screen real estate that is better suited for information readouts.

My dream would be for something to replace the Start menu in WM: pressing the Windows key instantly summons a lightweight (maybe full screen) configurable launcher that lets you hit one icon and gets out of the way immediately. It would have to support custom icon sizes and arrangements. Supporting speed dials would be a huge plus. Hell, it could even include a small task manager and multiple categories, like Scrnbtn and other POS apps do.

I find this way of interacting with a device much faster and friendlier than the "programs" window, and would leave the Today screen free to show all the info you want: weather, mail, appointments, feeds, search, etc.

The closest thing I've found on WM is PocketLauncher by conduits, but it's not very good. It's a bit buggy, way more difficult to customize than anything should be, and for some reason refuses to remember some settings. It's also $10 which would be ok if it was freakin' great but it's merely acceptable.

Anyway, just wanted to put this rant out there, maybe there's cool info to share in the PPCGeeks community about this.

Last edited by nsinsinsi; 09-14-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

KoukiFC3S is just getting started
spb mobile shell has that
Old 09-14-2007, 11:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro and Apache
Carrier: China Telecom

mellon is a n00b
i use claunch for WM5 which works well. but claunch does not support WM6 well. i don't wanna go back to spb plus or such stuff. i am still looking for one for wm6.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AFAngryWarrior is keeping up the good workAFAngryWarrior is keeping up the good work
I think a good fast launcher, real fast, no frills but looks like regular windows is Small Menu Plus.

http://tillanosoft.com/ce/smenu.html
Old 09-15-2007, 12:13 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

saqer is keeping up the good worksaqer is keeping up the good work
search for an app called handylauncher
Old 09-15-2007, 02:12 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney
Also search for iLauncher, it has some other great features I can't live without.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif
Old 09-15-2007, 02:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC 6800
Carrier: Fido

1magine is a n00b
i use Wisbar Advance Desktop
Old 09-15-2007, 02:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

nmeister is a n00b
Its all about 'WM5 New Menu', check it out, I think its about as lightweight as you can get.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6700 WM6

JTSV is a n00b
The smallest yet out performs much larger launcher's is:

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/cestuff.html

Launcher is a Today screen add-on for PocketPC's. It adds an icon bar, much like Windows's Quick Launch bar. You can place as many applications (screen space permitting) to it's list as you wish simply by copying link files into the Launcher folder, and launch the applications with one tap.

John T. Snelson V
Old 09-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3

Catman51 is keeping up the good workCatman51 is keeping up the good workCatman51 is keeping up the good work
ILauncher gets my vote, less footprint than SPB.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software