PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Your favorite GPS Software
TomTom 6 11.54%
Garmin XT 17 32.69%
IGo 7 13.46%
Other (google maps, telenav, etc) 22 42.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: samsung moment
Carrier: sprint

billobob is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best GPS Software?

Just traded my 2G Iphone for a touch pro and tryin to figure out whats the best GPS software out there... I know Garmin and IGo have TTS, but out of the three major products which one is the best overall (accuracy, handling POIs, route speed, traffic, etc etc)? Or does anybody prefer a free program like Google Maps for whatever reason?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sony Ericsson Xperia X1i
Carrier: ATT

BuddyLee is a n00b
Re: Best GPS Software?

Tomtom all the way for me ... has all those features plus im loving the footprints navigate to location or contact that is beautifully integrated into tomtom
Old 04-15-2009, 03:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Hero
Carrier: Sprint

nighteyes is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to nighteyes Send a message via MSN to nighteyes Send a message via Yahoo to nighteyes

I have tried the following GPS software, all legally mind you via my friend's who had purchased these:

TomTom7:
I was impressed by the fact of how smooth and flowing the software was, and ease of use. lacking up to date pois and maps is a con, but otherwise I liked it. the maps were from q2 2008

IGo8:
Eyecandy and TTS and usability are the perks of this badboy. Only problem is the lack of most up to date POIs on my part. Maps were from 2008

Navigon7:
This badboy has eyecandy, TTS, Lane assist, but the latest maps were from Q2/3 2008.

lastly,
GarminXT:
this baby I ended up purchasing for myself. Will always have the latest POI list because of the use of Google for free, as well as traffic. My maps were from the city navigator 2009.11 update, so this has the latest map info, and POI list. Only drawback is lack of TTS, but honestly I'd rather have access to almost every POI at my fingertips then a pretty voice mispronounce my street HAHAHA.

My advice, try garmin

Hope this helped a little
Old 04-15-2009, 03:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighteyes View Post
I'd rather have access to almost every POI at my fingertips then a pretty voice mispronounce my street HAHAHA.

My advice, try garmin
I totally agree & I've tried them all also.

I could care less about TTS (& I have two Garmin NAV units that have it) & Garmin rules in every other way IMHO.

~John
Old 04-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Lurker

BuddyLee is a n00b

Funny you say that, I also have garmin gps system and I can tell you for a fact that side by side tomtom is better. True the maps are more or less the same, but the traffic updates are much faster with tomtom.
Another thing to that drove me crazy with garmin was the fact that the multiple bridges and overpass that looks like a million 8's when turning on those times garmin would mistakenly switch me into another lane and update my course wrong. That would lead me to take the wrong exit on them.

As for poi's there are tons of poi's as well user uploaded poi's that are updated all the time.

Integration with navigate to contact as well as navigate to a geotagged location that you took a shot of is a win.

Btw im running tomtom7.9 with us and canada version 815 map updates (which were released december)
Old 04-15-2009, 05:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Hero

nighteyes is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to nighteyes Send a message via MSN to nighteyes Send a message via Yahoo to nighteyes

lol, I know how nice TOMTOM is, I borrowed my buddies tomtom unit when I drove down to Tennessee from MA about a month ago. I had his tomtom stacked next to my pda running garmin, there are pro's and con's to each.

As far as POIs i know that tomtom you can upload custom ones and stuff, but when you dont have access to uploading the new ones, if I am out in arkansas looking for a particular place, i like to know I am getting the most up to date information without first having to check and see if I have the latest poi file.

I do agree that garmin's bridges and overpass look like 8s hahaha, first time driving with it i was like O.o but i got used to it cuz I would make sure to look ahead and not rely totally on the gps display.

I still want to see someone who is totally relyant on their GPS follow the instructions to the T....and end up taking a 'legal uturn' into a building, followed by the gps saying "you have arrived"

ugh, i wish there was one GPS program that had all the perks and none of the cons of all the different software available.

I miss my old IGo 2006 and its ANCIENT maps... but at the time I never had a single issue with it...just cant find newer maps for it hehe.

For now at least, Im gonna use my garmin but at least i have access to my buddies tomtom. Garmin needs to tweak a few things then it will be ready to really rock!!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Lurker

BuddyLee is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighteyes View Post
lol, I know how nice TOMTOM is, I borrowed my buddies tomtom unit when I drove down to Tennessee from MA about a month ago. I had his tomtom stacked next to my pda running garmin, there are pro's and con's to each.

As far as POIs i know that tomtom you can upload custom ones and stuff, but when you dont have access to uploading the new ones, if I am out in arkansas looking for a particular place, i like to know I am getting the most up to date information without first having to check and see if I have the latest poi file.

I do agree that garmin's bridges and overpass look like 8s hahaha, first time driving with it i was like O.o but i got used to it cuz I would make sure to look ahead and not rely totally on the gps display.

I still want to see someone who is totally relyant on their GPS follow the instructions to the T....and end up taking a 'legal uturn' into a building, followed by the gps saying "you have arrived"

ugh, i wish there was one GPS program that had all the perks and none of the cons of all the different software available.

I miss my old IGo 2006 and its ANCIENT maps... but at the time I never had a single issue with it...just cant find newer maps for it hehe.

For now at least, Im gonna use my garmin but at least i have access to my buddies tomtom. Garmin needs to tweak a few things then it will be ready to really rock!!!!
Not sure which version tomtom your buddy has. If possible and he has a winmo phone with gps in it ask him if he would be interested in updating the tomtom software version and new maps. The new software isnt available from the us site and isnt sold in the states so im 99.9% sure he is using old software + updates. If you got a winmo phone with gps i could help you get setup with it.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

been using all the free stuff google, live search etc, but im lookin at some of the paid apps now. looking forward to more opinions
Old 04-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond & Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: TELUS / Verizon Wireless

Devileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to Devileyezz

No matter which one you use, when you're one the 3rd floor of a higher building, it will not work. I recently went to an apple store, where I tried the iPhone GPS, and it located me. Then, right there I pulled out my Touch Diamond OnCourse GPS and I didn't get located. Also tried Google Maps, and it kept looking for satellites forever.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

lordhelmet is becoming a great contributor

I own a Garmin 760 and have used most of the free GPS available on my phone. So, from my point of view, I actually prefer the Sprint Telenav over all the free ones. It does all I need from my phone. If you know where you're going and just want to glance at traffic, I like Google Maps because it's way faster on traffic data then anything else. One to keep an eye on though is Amaze GPS. It is a free program that really is "amazing" considering it's free. It's a little slow to load, but pretty much does most things that you can pay hundreds of $s for. Anyway, all that to say I love my Garmin 760 and so I use that as long as I'm in my truck, but I'll have to see about trying Tom Tom since you're all giving it good reviews.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software