PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Your favorite GPS Software
TomTom 6 11.54%
Garmin XT 17 32.69%
IGo 7 13.46%
Other (google maps, telenav, etc) 22 42.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

tenthirty2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartenthirty2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartenthirty2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartenthirty2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Best GPS Software?

+1 Garmin here, too. Especially if you have a Mogul, it was spot on accurate with Garmin as a handheld navigator. Now the Touch Pro... not so much.

I was a member back when Wideawake was just Awake...
Old 04-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: samsung moment
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

billobob is a n00b

Yeah the TP's GPS was terrible out of the box... but the newest radios and a few tweaks make it as good as any other phone I've used
Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker

tenthirty2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartenthirty2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartenthirty2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartenthirty2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I'm using Copper, but going down the interstate doing 65 mph, you'll see Garmin lag at least a half a block. The way I understand it from our resident geniuses, it's a hardware issue and software or firmware won't make much of a difference.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Hero
Carrier: Sprint

nighteyes is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to nighteyes Send a message via MSN to nighteyes Send a message via Yahoo to nighteyes

my friend's tomtom was a stand alone unit. I think it is running 7.910 but i am not sure.

ya...the gps on my TP is finiky at best with the damned lag and such. I mean it works, but i am not very happy with it unlike my mogul, which i had the garmin installed on initially which was spot on.

I used sprint telenav for a while and as nice as it is to not have to worry about having uptodate maps and such installed, the fact remains that it relies on the data connection which is spotty in some areas I travel around. lost connection occasionally. thats what i like about having a software that is depends on the gps sats themself.

Until the lag issues get resolved...i really have no choice do i eh? i paid for garmin so I am going to use it hehehe.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker

I have the Garmin bluetooth receiver, and using it in the car I experience no lag. It's just when I rely on the Touch Pro's crappy gps hardware that I get the 3 second delay.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:54 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthirty2 View Post
+1 Garmin here, too. Especially if you have a Mogul, it was spot on accurate with Garmin as a handheld navigator. Now the Touch Pro... not so much.
+1 that is one of the biggest TP disappointments to what is an otherwise great device. Luckily I don't use the GPS that often...
The Mogul had LOTS of faults but the one thing that was outstanding was the GPS.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Hero

nighteyes is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to nighteyes Send a message via MSN to nighteyes Send a message via Yahoo to nighteyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
+1 that is one of the biggest TP disappointments to what is an otherwise great device. Luckily I don't use the GPS that often...
The Mogul had LOTS of faults but the one thing that was outstanding was the GPS.

amen to that brother. The mogul's biggest strength was it's gps accuracy hehe. When i first got my mogul it was before the gps rom debuted so i had a holux bluetooth gps...but i sold it once the gps rom came out.........soooo wish i never sold it >.<

I wonder if the TP gps issue can be fixed...or if we have to chaulk it up to faulty design and live with it..... *le sigh*

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software