PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Windows Mobile Software (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   [APP] Shp Finance 2.51 [2/23/10] [VGA/QVGA/Wide] (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60193)

redd214 03-23-2009 02:17 PM

Re: [3/23/09] myFinance 2.21 (formerly myBudget) - Added Ledger & Wallet [3/23]!!!

man this app just keeps gettin better and better man!! thanx given, keep up the good work!

Cicatrize 03-23-2009 02:46 PM

Re: [3/23/09] myFinance 2.21 (formerly myBudget) - Added Ledger & Wallet [3/23]!!!

My lord, I already found a bug myself.

On the ledger tab, if you click edit to edit an item and the amt is different than your expenses tab, it will load the expenses tab value...and that's only IF the edit menu loads the proper data. Sometimes it doesn't even load it.

I've already fixed it, but I'll be testing more to make sure I have this done right before release again.

I've also noticed that if you edit the very last item in the list (the one with the starting balance), it does not affect the balance. I will fix this too.

Just an FYI, guys.

Cicatrize 03-23-2009 03:41 PM

Feel free to stop me at any time, guys. I hope no one is keeping count of today's releases.

Version 2.22 is up

Change Log:
Code:

Version 2.22 - 3/23/09
[FIX] Now unable to edit oldest item in ledger
[FIX] Bugs with "edit" function on ledger not working properly
[ADD] Version History tab on About window

Cicatrize 03-23-2009 05:08 PM

Re: [3/23/09] myFinance 2.22 (formerly myBudget) - Added Ledger & Wallet [3/23]!!!

I need to punch something hard...

Anyone who downloaded 2.22 needs to download it again (2.22a) because you probably won't be able to add any ledger items.

#*($^)@#$(&*@#^%*(&#%

Cicatrize 03-23-2009 07:06 PM

Re: [3/23/09] myFinance 2.22 (formerly myBudget) - Added Ledger & Wallet [3/23]!!!

What do you guys think of the "Hourly" pay rate option? Honestly, I think it's stupid. It's only convenient for someone who makes an hourly rate to calculate what they take home, but no one actually receives a paycheck on an hourly basis, and that's not what this program is designed for.

Let me hear some opinions...

Hafrust 03-23-2009 07:21 PM

I think you could remove that. Yeah, it saves people some simple math, but not entirely necessary. Having said that, I am on salary. lol

GoodGets 03-23-2009 07:53 PM

Cicatrize, I don't even use this program (not that it's not good, I'm just too lazy to keep up with my finances), but I thanked you for all effort and hard work. Really good job, keep it up.

Also, did I just miss it? or is the link not there?
Quote:

2. Mirror 2 - Provided by: r a i n f r e a k

Cicatrize 03-23-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodGets (Post 793383)
Cicatrize, I don't even use this program (not that it's not good, I'm just too lazy to keep up with my finances), but I thanked you for all effort and hard work. Really good job, keep it up.

Thanks. The most recent version isn't on his server. Might want to wait until I know if it works or not. lol

Cicatrize 03-23-2009 11:23 PM

I found this on the internet today and started cracking up...Anyone know what version of WM/PocketPC that is? Looks like PocketPC 2000 to me.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/jhc.diebold/budget8.gif

Cicatrize 03-24-2009 11:24 AM

44 downloads and no comments? Is that a good sign?

rainfreak 03-24-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodGets (Post 793383)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 793584)
Thanks. The most recent version isn't on his server. Might want to wait until I know if it works or not. lol

It is posted now...

Cicatrize 03-24-2009 11:58 AM

Link added. Thanks rainfreak. Grats on 3000 rep

rainfreak 03-24-2009 12:49 PM

Oh wow, I hadn't noticed. Cool... oh, and you are welcome.

popdog54 03-24-2009 06:45 PM

I've been giving this a whirl and I like it. For me the hourly rate is a nice feature. I get paid by the hour and my hours per week can vary. Last week I worked 33 hours, the week before 52. So as long as I keep tabs on my hours I'll know how much my check will be a week before I actually get it. I usually have a rough idea of what it will be, but using your program will make things a little easier for me.

Automaton 03-24-2009 08:49 PM

Possible app names:

Pocket Banker
MoneyMan or Money Man (Short for Money Manager. Also makes you sound like a rich "Money Man?")
Smart Cents Mobile
Pocket Miser
BudgetWise or Budget Wise

Cicatrize 03-24-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popdog54 (Post 796113)
I've been giving this a whirl and I like it. For me the hourly rate is a nice feature. I get paid by the hour and my hours per week can vary. Last week I worked 33 hours, the week before 52. So as long as I keep tabs on my hours I'll know how much my check will be a week before I actually get it. I usually have a rough idea of what it will be, but using your program will make things a little easier for me.

I'm glad it helps. I've tried to think of a way it'd be more beneficial to those who get paid hourly (I do too, but I always have exactly 40 hours/wk), but haven't been able to think of one. I think it'd be more accurate for an hourly worker with varying hrs/wk to enter in his/her "average" weekly gross pay (or however often they get paid) since the hourly rate will calculate the same hours per week for the entire month and not be a clear estimate of actual take-home. If you have any ideas, feel free to let me know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automaton (Post 796416)
Possible app names:

Pocket Banker
MoneyMan or Money Man (Short for Money Manager. Also makes you sound like a rich "Money Man?")
Smart Cents Mobile
Pocket Miser
BudgetWise or Budget Wise

Thanks for the ideas. A couple of those are pretty nice, but I think I'm just going to keep it myFinance until I decide on a "software company" name that's more suitable, in which it'd just be called "[Co.] Finance".

Perasite 03-27-2009 12:35 PM

Just discovered this due to your message in Hibby's Fart Machine thread. This looks really cool. Great job, and I'm downloading now.

Cicatrize 03-27-2009 02:29 PM

Re: [APP] [3/27/09] Shp Finance 2.30 (formerly myBudget) [VGA/QVGA/Wide]

Version 2.30 is up

VERY minor changes...and a name change (I finally decided on one, and there will be more WM apps coming from me in the future.)

Change Log:
Code:

Version 2.30 - 3/27/09
[CHG] Re-release for a rename to Shp Finance
[FIX] A couple tiny bugs

redd214 03-27-2009 02:57 PM

downloading 2.3 now, cant wait to see more apps from you man!

Cicatrize 03-27-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redd214 (Post 804089)
downloading 2.3 now, cant wait to see more apps from you man!

Thanks!

I just released a Loan Calculator app in this forum today. It's pretty basic, but I like it. Go check it out. :)

I'm also working on a couple more projects.

InvincibleLiving 03-27-2009 04:51 PM

Re: [APP] Shp Finance 2.30 [3/27/09] [VGA/QVGA/Wide]

so what does shp stand for? I hope you become as successful as spb!

Cicatrize 03-27-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 804397)
so what does shp stand for? I hope you become as successful as spb!

It's my first and last initial, then a "p" for "programming". Not much to it. :)

I'm working on getting a website up, and eventually, once my apps become nice enough to not be free anymore, I may charge for them (probably not as much as SPB does though). I hope I become as successful as them too. lol

InvincibleLiving 03-27-2009 05:06 PM

very cool... keep banging out great apps like this one and i'll support your work!

rawdog805 03-28-2009 06:27 AM

I have no Idea what my tax rate percentage is hear in NYS.... LOL...

another question.. Have you changed the program so that when you install a new version, your previous info is not erased??

Cicatrize 03-28-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawdog805 (Post 805473)
I have no Idea what my tax rate percentage is hear in NYS.... LOL...

another question.. Have you changed the program so that when you install a new version, your previous info is not erased??

What previous info? The mbf files are separate from the progrm...

hibby50 03-28-2009 11:26 AM

As soon as i get a credit card this will come in handy.... unless naut wants to lend me his

Cicatrize 03-28-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibby50 (Post 805750)
As soon as i get a credit card this will come in handy.... unless naut wants to lend me his

Only 5 more years! :D

rawdog805 03-28-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 805741)
What previous info? The mbf files are separate from the progrm...

back around the 2nd and third releases I tried to install the newer version, and it erased all the info for the program, and reinstalled everything..

Cicatrize 03-28-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawdog805 (Post 805930)
back around the 2nd and third releases I tried to install the newer version, and it erased all the info for the program, and reinstalled everything..

It doesn't erase any of your info. It just uninstalls the previous version and installs the new one. In that process, I think the options may get reset, but your saved files are still wherever you put them.

kenmag7577 03-29-2009 10:44 AM

a quick question. when i put in my salary it doesnt add at correctly. 15.44*160 hrs = 2470.4. the program shows 2676.27. any ideas why? i have nothing but expenses added in. any help would be appreciated

great program though, extremely handy

Cicatrize 03-29-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenmag7577 (Post 807607)
a quick question. when i put in my salary it doesnt add at correctly. 15.44*160 hrs = 2470.4. the program shows 2676.27. any ideas why? i have nothing but expenses added in. any help would be appreciated

great program though, extremely handy

The reason for this is because the program calculates monthly income, not 4-week income. If every month had only 4 weeks, they'd all be 28 days. :)

So, instead, the calculation is made like this:

(15.44 * 40hr/wk * 52 weeks) / 12 months = 2676.27

This gives a more accurate figure, because if you make $10 hour and only do 4 weeks per month at 40 hours per week, it'd calculate at $19,200/yr, but a person who makes $10/hr really makes $20,800/yr, and the budget would be off.

kenmag7577 03-29-2009 03:06 PM

thank you so much!! theres a reason im not a numbers man.

that makes perfect sense. like i said earlier this is an excellent and handy program. its a permanent one for me now.

Cicatrize 03-29-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenmag7577 (Post 808222)
thank you so much!! theres a reason im not a numbers man.

that makes perfect sense. like i said earlier this is an excellent and handy program. its a permanent one for me now.

Thanks! Let me know if you have any ideas.

GhettoBSD 03-30-2009 02:12 PM

Ok just found this awesome thread and read through it. Here are some ideas off of the top of my head:

- Ability to export/import to excel. So you'd have to have some parsing scheme to put all the info into and pull out of excel.

- With the above, set up an excel file so we can work on it from the phone or pc (via parsed excel/cvs file).

- Have the ability to synchronize with above files

- Save user settings to file. between upgrades you could keep that conf file the same and just add more entries to it. That way through upgrades it would still be functional.

- I saw that you have a file format that can save the info as monthly or yearly... do those work across versions? (updated versions) If not, then maybe set them up to save to storage card, and then be read by newer versions to restore previously entered info.

Anyhow, this looks awesome and i'll definitely look into it. I'm actually about to kick off a business (local only) to help people learn and plan a budget. It's VERY simple and can be done through excel or paper workbooks (for those who don't have computers - the group of people i'm targeting). I've been running my budget in excel for years now and have everything you have in your program so i was like wow that's bad ***!

Anyhow, keep up the good work and i'm going to add you to the ppc repository... if you sign up you can host the files there and update them yourself as you make releases.

redd214 03-30-2009 02:17 PM

+1 on the excel idea, great thinking man

GhettoBSD 03-30-2009 02:24 PM

Well, the reason is that i actually used to run a modified version of my workbook on my phone via excel. before that, i would use google docs to do that. And then i would reconcile my google docs with my excel file at home.

But if this program could do that, wow that would be awesome! But i don't think i could use it myself because my format is different, which is a shame. As well as that i am constantly updating it.

Also citz deserves a round of applause and a pat on the back. I know that even though we like to be humble, sometimes we really do have to stand back and say, "that's some bad arse code we've written." So you deserve it dude! I especially liked your own encryption scheme lol (writing it). That's the hard core that most can't appriciate!

Cicatrize 03-30-2009 02:42 PM

@GhettoBSD:

Thanks for all your kind words! I am quite humble most of the time, but behind the scenes, I sometimes impress myself with some of the code that I've written. I just don't like to flaunt it. ;)

I did a lot of research to find a way to export/import Excel files, and it seems like there's really no way to do it, unfortunately. The .NET Compact Framework doesn't support any Office objects, and Excel Mobile can't read CSV. It's really been one of the things that's made me most angry during the development of this program, but I think that's something I'm just going to have to deal with. Due to the simplicity of a CSV file, I could, in theory, export and import with it, but the files wouldn't be able to be viewed except from a desktop computer.

As far as the settings go, the main fault there is that it's done with the registry, in which the keys are created via the CAB install, and deleted with the uninstall. I plan to do away with this in the next version so that when the program is uninstalled, the registry settings remain on the device.

I have quite a few more ideas for this program that should all show up in the next version, but I've been pretty busy with work, and also Shp Notepad and Loan Calc. I would expect 2.40 to be released within the next two weeks. If I ever figure out a way to import/export for Excel, it'll be added in that day, but it's looking grim right now.

GhettoBSD 03-30-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 810736)
@GhettoBSD:

Thanks for all your kind words! I am quite humble most of the time, but behind the scenes, I sometimes impress myself with some of the code that I've written. I just don't like to flaunt it. ;)

I did a lot of research to find a way to export/import Excel files, and it seems like there's really no way to do it, unfortunately. The .NET Compact Framework doesn't support any Office objects, and Excel Mobile can't read CSV. It's really been one of the things that's made me most angry during the development of this program, but I think that's something I'm just going to have to deal with. Due to the simplicity of a CSV file, I could, in theory, export and import with it, but the files wouldn't be able to be viewed except from a desktop computer.

As far as the settings go, the main fault there is that it's done with the registry, in which the keys are created via the CAB install, and deleted with the uninstall. I plan to do away with this in the next version so that when the program is uninstalled, the registry settings remain on the device.

I have quite a few more ideas for this program that should all show up in the next version, but I've been pretty busy with work, and also Shp Notepad and Loan Calc. I would expect 2.40 to be released within the next two weeks. If I ever figure out a way to import/export for Excel, it'll be added in that day, but it's looking grim right now.

Yeah I understand you 100%... i always tell my friends and family that only I can truly appreciate what i've created. I did a flash picture viewer before it was out on the web, now everyone has something based in flash. I've done some cool flash stuff (made a employee scheduler for a pollo loco manager). All kinds of stuff, but no one but us programmers can understand it.

I remember excel giving me a lot of problems with flash as well because of the importing exporting. I don't remember what i ended up doing to work around it.

Well, that's the advantage to running unix/linux, we can use csh to just do whatever we want! (almost right?). Isn't there a way you can program a parsing engine? So you could take the csv or xls file and have it parsed, then your program loads that into it's file format?

Then, you can export that info back to a text file even, and have an engine parse it back to the cvs/xls file?

About the settings being saved to registry, couldn't you have a file that's updated everytime the program is closed down? Since you have encryption it could be encrypted as well.

Also forgot to mention I like your payment reminders. In my excel and workbook I have it set up like that, but there's no actual reminder haha. But you do see the date it's due so you see it all on 1 screen. And everytime you open up your monthly ledger you see all the dates and if the bills have been paid or are pending.

Cicatrize 03-30-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhettoBSD (Post 810791)
Well, that's the advantage to running unix/linux, we can use csh to just do whatever we want! (almost right?). Isn't there a way you can program a parsing engine? So you could take the csv or xls file and have it parsed, then your program loads that into it's file format?

Then, you can export that info back to a text file even, and have an engine parse it back to the cvs/xls file?

I wouldn't even know where to begin...lol

Quote:

About the settings being saved to registry, couldn't you have a file that's updated everytime the program is closed down? Since you have encryption it could be encrypted as well.
I COULD do this. I'm just not sure I want to. I kinda like using the registry, and it's not at all a problem for the user unless they flash every day.
Quote:

Also forgot to mention I like your payment reminders.
I'm working on also putting together a background running "service" that will be user-customizable to remind you of upcoming expenses, as well as expenses that have not yet been paid. I could easily code this into the program itself, but it would require the user to open the program every time they want to check, so I'd like to have it scheduled.

Cicatrize 04-08-2009 10:57 AM

Re: [APP] Shp Finance 2.40 [4/8/09] [VGA/QVGA/Wide]

Version 2.40 is up

Made some very minor modifications, but most importantly (to me) is the manual entry of tax percentage. It wasn't too much of an issue before the ledger tab was introduced, because this program wasn't meant to be EXACT, but now that the ledger can automatically bring in a calculated after-tax amount from an income source, I had to make it exact, because it was p*ssing me off.

I haven't had too much time to work on my programs lately because I've been pretty busy...

Change Log:
Code:

Version 2.40 - 4/8/09
[DEL] CAB file no longer sets up registry entries for settings.  After this version, new installs will keep settings.
[CHG] Tax percentage now manually entered (rounds to 2 digits)
[FIX] Bug when exiting with X with unsaved changes & canceling
[FIX] Bug with due date from last opened expense sticking when editing other expense