PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Windows Mobile Software (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   [APP] Shp Finance 2.51 [2/23/10] [VGA/QVGA/Wide] (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60193)

nuguy 03-09-2009 10:09 AM

Re: [3/6/09] myBudget 1.0 - Monthly budget app (QVGA & VGA)

Keep kickin' butt n' takin' numbers...

mkeith813 03-09-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 760965)
Holy crap, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get v1.1 done this week, but I will be posting some teaser images of the new layout pretty soon most likely.

The way it's looking, v1.1 will be at least DOUBLE the file size of 1.0, and I keep getting crazy ideas to add into it. I'm going to encrypt the data that's stored in the .mbf files so that a text editor will only see gibberish instead of the details. Since I'm adding so much to this, there's a lot of field validation going on as well, and that's taking up a lot of the time. I will keep posting in this thread when the status changes.

I REALLY hope you guys will like this new version because I've been spending night and day on it. I even updated my VisualStudio .NET at WORK with the Windows Mobile 6 Pro SDK and my emulator with 6.1 images...this could get dangerous. lol

we will just have to wait then. im not going anywhere.

Cicatrize 03-10-2009 10:06 AM

Pounding out the code like nobody's business...

I will have teaser screenshots today (probably in the afternoon). Keep checking the thread. :)

Cicatrize 03-10-2009 11:43 AM

Teaser images for v1.1:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6556/mybudget4.jpg http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4556/mybudget5.jpg http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8680/mybudget6.jpg

Just in case you were wondering, the Pre-Tax Deductions are linked to an income source, so that the calculation can be made properly. If the income source is removed, the pre-tax deductions linked to it must go with it. I think it's a pretty useful feature...and it's mandatory anyway.

There is a LOT...and I mean a LOT of underlying calculations in this new version, most of which uses values that aren't even visible to the user. I'm getting headaches...haha.

rainfreak 03-10-2009 12:00 PM

Nice work! Keep it up, you are on a roll!

InvincibleLiving 03-10-2009 05:50 PM

i LOVE where this app has come from and where it's growing to! just amazing.

Cicatrize 03-10-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 763689)
i LOVE where this app has come from and where it's growing to! just amazing.

I'm really a modest person most of the time...but I have to say it. Just wait until you see it. I've actually considered setting the new version to 2.0 because it's such a major overhaul of the program. The original program took me maybe 10-12 hours to code. I've already spent well over 30 hours on this enhancement already, and I'm pretty damn proud of the work done so far. I hope you guys like it, because the new features are awesome. I keep thinking of new things to add, too, so I might just have to release all the major ones at first, then add the new features in later versions, because if I keep adding all my ideas, I'd be releasing 3.0 next. hahah

Cicatrize 03-10-2009 11:06 PM

Update for excitement:

After some research, I found out that .NET has text encrypting and decrypting built into the Input/Output file system...

Then I found out that it's completely unusable for WM development! :( Oh well, I successfully coded my own encryption/decryption system for the mbf files, so that's some good news. This little piece has been slowing me down today.

InvincibleLiving 03-11-2009 06:45 PM

wow....

Cicatrize 03-11-2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 765992)
wow....

Is that sarcasm? :(

Cicatrize 03-12-2009 12:09 AM

Update:

Most of the programming is actually complete now, since I've been doing a lot of it at work when I'm bored.

The only thing left is exporting files to text/XML for printing or whatever is needed. I found out there's no way to open an excel file for writing in Windows Mobile, which is really frustrating, because that would've been great.

After I attempt the exporting coding, I'll be doing some testing to see if I can get the app to break...and if I can't, I'll be set for release.

Cicatrize 03-12-2009 03:10 PM

Here's a sneak peek at what's to come in 1.1: (It should be released tonight or tomorrow)

[CHG] Income tab: Multiple Income sources list
[ADD] Pre-Tax Disbursements (health insurance, 401k) list
[ADD] Hourly Income rate as frequency option
[ADD] Due Date for expenses (optional)
[ADD] Options window
[ADD] Option to password protect files
[ADD] Option to notify user of upcoming expenses when file is opened
[ADD] Opening last opened profile on app load is now an option
[CHG] Edit/Remove options grayed out when nothing is selected
[ADD] Icon for program finally added.
[ADD] Icon for MBF files added (same as app icon)
[ADD] System - opening MBF files launches myBudget and loads profile
[ADD] Encryption for MBF files - text editor will see garbage
[ADD] New About window
[CHG] MBF files more universal for added fields in future versions
[DEL] Version 1.0 MBF files will not work with version 1.1+

I really wanted to get some exporting done on this, but there's no excel app access for mobile apps, and the XML APIs were taken out of the compact framework as well. I may still add text exporting in a future version, but that just kinda sucks. I will eventually find a way...

InvincibleLiving 03-12-2009 03:25 PM

Re: [3/6/09] myBudget 1.0 - Monthly budget app (Sneak peek of v1.1 @ post 52: 3/12/09

dag... you've been putting in WORK!! that's awesome progress this app isnt even a week old!!

rainfreak 03-12-2009 05:08 PM

Re: [3/6/09] myBudget 1.0 - Monthly budget app (Sneak peek of v1.1 @ post 52: 3/12/09

I agree with Nautica, you have done a tremendous job of updating the app and adding a great deal of features, especially in less than a week from initial release.

Great job, we all appreciate it!

Cicatrize 03-13-2009 11:07 AM

Re: [BIG UPDATE: 3/12/09] myBudget 2.0 - Monthly budget app (VGA/QVGA)

Version 2.0 is UP and RUNNING!

Yes, I know, I said it was going to be 1.1, but I decided differently, since the new version's EXE is FOUR TIMES the size of version 1.0, and nothing in the program was untouched. I'd say that's a major enough change for it to be 2.0. :) Enjoy!

Change Log:
Code:

Version 2.0 - 3/13/09
[CHG] Income tab: Multiple Income sources list
[ADD] Pre-Tax Deductions (health insurance, 401k) list
[ADD] Each tab now has its own menu
[ADD] Hourly Income rate as frequency option
[ADD] Due Date for expenses (optional)
[ADD] Options window
[ADD] Option to password protect files
[ADD] Option to notify user of upcoming expenses when file is opened
[ADD] Opening last opened profile on app load is now an option
[CHG] Edit/Remove options grayed out when nothing is selected
[ADD] Icon for program finally added.
[ADD] Icon for MBF files added (same as app icon)
[ADD] File System - opening MBF files launches myBudget and loads profile
[ADD] Encryption for MBF files - text editor will see garbage
[ADD] New About window
[CHG] MBF files more universal for added fields in future versions
[DEL] Version 1.0 MBF files will not work with version 2.0+

InvincibleLiving 03-13-2009 11:46 AM

Re: [BIG UPDATE: 3/13/09] myBudget 2.0 - Monthly budget app (VGA/QVGA)

Dude.. you outdid yourself here... cant wait to put this on my phone... version 1 was 'what i was looking for' but THIS just greatly exceeds everything i expected! bravo

Cicatrize 03-13-2009 12:23 PM

JEEZ! I found an issue with it that I never saw in testing. If you enter the PW for your file you're opening in landscape, then quickly go into portrait mode after clicking OK, it will sometimes freeze the PW screen.

Oh well, it's fixed, and the new cab is up.

woody88 03-13-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 769914)
JEEZ! I found an issue with it that I never saw in testing. If you enter the PW for your file you're opening in landscape, then quickly go into portrait mode after clicking OK, it will sometimes freeze the PW screen.

Oh well, it's fixed, and the new cab is up.

that's what I called a fast "fix" lol, will test it out later this weekend!

redd214 03-13-2009 03:46 PM

love the new features, thanx again!!

Cicatrize 03-13-2009 04:22 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys. I spent probably 50+ hours on this, so feedback is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I just did a count of the lines of code and it's 2110 right now (I've added some since 2.0 release...already). First version was only like 600 or something.

mkeith813 03-13-2009 08:36 PM

Great Work!!

Cicatrize 03-14-2009 04:39 PM

rainfreak's mirror for 2.0 is now up.

guitardoc64 03-14-2009 04:49 PM

This is a very nice app. It will help I and my wife get thru the month on budget. Mainly by helping ME keep track of things(what $25.00? Oh that, I forgot to write it in the register....).

Cicatrize 03-14-2009 08:03 PM

How many rows are you guys using on the Income list? I'm thinking about shrinking it.

Cicatrize 03-16-2009 12:03 AM

This thread has gone silent. :(

Are there any new ideas?

Cicatrize 03-16-2009 03:46 PM

Re: [UPDATE: 3/16/09] myBudget 2.1 - Monthly budget app (VGA/QVGA/Wide)

Version 2.1 Released

Change Log:
Code:

Version 2.1 - 3/16/09
[FIX] Editing income, if changed from Hourly -> *, hours are removed
[FIX] Password window lag gone, even when changing screen orientation
[FIX] Resize lists on Income tab properly for landscape vert scrollbar
[ADJ] Application load time has been reduced
[ADD] Double click list items to edit them
[ADD] Auto build/revision numbers on About window version
[CHG] Increased size of tabs to be more finger friendly
[CHG] When SIP is up on income add window, scrollbars are visible
[ADD] Password window opens SIP by default
[ADD] VERY basic text file exporting
[ADD] Option for startup tab
[ADD] Option to change font size for income, deduction, and exp lists
[CHG] Default font for lists is 8pt instead of 9pt
[NOTE] Now testing on 240x400 (Omnia res) also,  Looks good

The text file exporting is SUPER SUPER basic. It might not even be worth it for most of you...just a warning...it's terrible.

I'm happy with the new changes, though, especially with the decreased loading time and finally getting rid of the nasty lag on the pw entry screen.

WanderingMinstrel 03-16-2009 04:42 PM

You've done really fine work with this. I'm trying to keep up with your updates but, gotta admit, budgeting and keeping track of $ is not my favorite thing. If I can turn your program into a habit, it will be really useful and helpful. It will also be a miracle.
To answer a previous question, my income, when it is incoming at all, comes from 4-5 different sources each month. So the Income List spaces work for me. They may be overkill though for one-job one-paycheck people. Thanks for all the time you've put in on this great app.

InvincibleLiving 03-16-2009 05:09 PM

i just love seeing the version numbers rise on this app! can always count on great improvements. You'll be VIP in no time.

Cicatrize 03-16-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingMinstrel (Post 775879)
You've done really fine work with this. I'm trying to keep up with your updates but, gotta admit, budgeting and keeping track of $ is not my favorite thing. If I can turn your program into a habit, it will be really useful and helpful. It will also be a miracle.
To answer a previous question, my income, when it is incoming at all, comes from 4-5 different sources each month. So the Income List spaces work for me. They may be overkill though for one-job one-paycheck people. Thanks for all the time you've put in on this great app.

Thanks for your kind words. I've always hated budgeting, but about two years ago, I built an Excel file that does pretty much everything version 1.0 of this program did, and I've been using that excel file ever since. I finally got a copy of Visual Studio 2005 from work so I decided to venture into the world of mobile developing and make this app an "on the go" sort of thing. Excel mobile is kinda frustrating.

I'll be keeping the income list large because I think your case is probably fairly common. Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 775943)
i just love seeing the version numbers rise on this app! can always count on great improvements. You'll be VIP in no time.

Thanks, nautica. I think you're the one and only person who keeps constantly posting in this thread, and I appreciate it. :) It gets dead fairly quickly.

I don't think VIP will come very soon, but I hope so! Everyone just needs to go through every post I've ever made and click Thanks.

LOL

Cicatrize 03-16-2009 08:46 PM

I have SO many ideas (all of them are written down), and honestly, the only thing keeping this from moving as far forward as I want is the fact that I'm developing with the .NET compact framework. The full framework is so much more versatile that almost all my ideas can be done without extra code. It's a little frustrating, but I'm determined to get these ideas to work, and I thank you all for your support while doing so.

Is this app loading faster for you guys? On my device, load time is probably cut by 50-75% from 2.0. Also, how is the password screen input? Nice and smooth?

guitardoc64 03-17-2009 09:27 AM

I have a suggestion. My job pays a salary, and I get comission on my repair work. Salary is obviously fixed but the comissions vary by pay period. Is there a way to implement that? Or, how would I input that info? Also, I've tested it on a Sprint Touch/Vogue, so that info can be added to the OP.

Cicatrize 03-17-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardoc64 (Post 777446)
I have a suggestion. My job pays a salary, and I get comission on my repair work. Salary is obviously fixed but the comissions vary by pay period. Is there a way to implement that? Or, how would I input that info? Also, I've tested it on a Sprint Touch/Vogue, so that info can be added to the OP.

Assuming your commissions are monthly, the best way to do this is keep a different profile for each month. You can have your main profile with a salary item and a bonus item for your commission, then for a new month, just click Save As, select a new file name (i.e. April09), then simply edit the bonus amount and save.

Cicatrize 03-18-2009 09:43 AM

I'm not sure how many people care, since this thread dies faster than a fish out of water...but I'm still making improvements to this app.

For the next release, I've FINALLY successfully coded a sorting algorithm for the income/expense/deductions lists that allows the user to simply click the column header once to sort ascending, and twice for descending. With the standard .NET Framework, doing this is one line of code, but of course, I don't get that leisure with WM development. My code to sort a list is about 200 lines long (not much of it is the actual sorting calculation).

I tried coding it several different ways, but they all sorted it too slow, but last night I got it...so expect that on the next release.

I'm also probably going to add a percent drop-down list to the Pre-Tax Deductions Add/Edit window, since most people's 401(k), IRA, etc are based on a percentage of their income.

There are other things I'd like to do, but eventually, my (far in the future) plans for this app are much bigger than a simple budget application, and it won't even be called myBudget anymore when/if it's "completed".

Is there anything that any of you would like to see added?

Hafrust 03-18-2009 10:14 AM

Could you maybe incorporate some fart noises? lol...j/k...couldn't resist after reading Hibby's thread. I really like what you are doing with this program and am glad you're going to keep working on it. I can't really think of anything I would personally like to see added, it works great as is. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you are planning on doing with this. Thanks!

rainfreak 03-18-2009 10:39 AM

Don't worry, we are still keeping an eye on the thread. What about building a registry of sorts into the app to allow for expenditures on the road... kind of like a WinMo checkbook registry, but one that allows us to go against our available money for the month? Also, how about the ability to print out a detailed report of our monthly budget?

Those could keep you busy for a little while ;)

Cicatrize 03-18-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainfreak (Post 780117)
Don't worry, we are still keeping an eye on the thread. What about building a registry of sorts into the app to allow for expenditures on the road... kind of like a WinMo checkbook registry, but one that allows us to go against our available money for the month? Also, how about the ability to print out a detailed report of our monthly budget?

Those could keep you busy for a little while ;)

That is a great f'ing idea...the checkbook registry thingy. I never thought of that because I NEVER keep a register. LOL. This will be a definite implementation in the future. :)

About the printing...do you mean wireless printing?

Cicatrize 03-18-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hafrust (Post 780066)
Could you maybe incorporate some fart noises? lol...j/k...couldn't resist after reading Hibby's thread. I really like what you are doing with this program and am glad you're going to keep working on it. I can't really think of anything I would personally like to see added, it works great as is. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you are planning on doing with this. Thanks!

Lol, if I incorporated fart noises, I'd probably be VIP by now. :D

I've started working on another tab today. I'm not sure how useful it will be to some people, but it's something that I will definitely use. It's a "Personal" tab that has a list where you can store personal information like account numbers, credit card numbers (with ccv code), logins for websites or work, SSN, or other info you'd like to put on there. I'm going to make it so that when the tab is clicked, the details for each item are not visible until you open them though. HINT: You'll definitely want to PW protect files with this kind of info...duh.

Hafrust 03-18-2009 10:50 AM

+1 on the checkbook registry. I use an excel spreadsheet now. Having that incorporated in the app would be nice.

rainfreak 03-18-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 780129)
That is a great f'ing idea...the checkbook registry thingy. I never thought of that because I NEVER keep a register. LOL. This will be a definite implementation in the future. :)

About the printing...do you mean wireless printing?

Glad you liked my idea. And yes, wireless printing.

On a side note, I hate when our company gets audits... makes my work day more like actual work...

Cicatrize 03-18-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainfreak (Post 780273)
Glad you liked my idea. And yes, wireless printing.

On a side note, I hate when our company gets audits... makes my work day more like actual work...

Printing would be an entirely new world for WM programming for me. I wouldn't expect that any time soon, unless it's really easy. I'll do some research.