PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Windows Mobile Software (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   [APP] Shp Finance 2.51 [2/23/10] [VGA/QVGA/Wide] (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60193)

rainfreak 03-18-2009 02:40 PM

Re: [UPDATE: 3/16/09] myBudget 2.1 - Monthly budget app (VGA/QVGA/Wide)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 780396)
Printing would be an entirely new world for WM programming for me. I wouldn't expect that any time soon, unless it's really easy. I'll do some research.

Just trying to keep you busy :)

Cicatrize 03-18-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainfreak (Post 780719)
Just trying to keep you busy :)

As if I'm not busy enough? lol

Mattemer 03-18-2009 10:39 PM

Been looking for something like this. I hobbled together something in Excel, but I'm super lazy and mobile Excel is rather limited. I think Rain's "Register" idea would be great as well. This really is a fantastic program, keep up the great work! Thank you!!!

Cicatrize 03-18-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattemer (Post 781834)
Been looking for something like this. I hobbled together something in Excel, but I'm super lazy and mobile Excel is rather limited. I think Rain's "Register" idea would be great as well. This really is a fantastic program, keep up the great work! Thank you!!!

Thanks. :) Yeah, I had been using my excel sheet in mobile Excel as well...it sucked. Thanks to the TP's res I was able to put it at 50% zoom and see most of it, but it was still crappy.

I've started working on the register idea and all seems to be going well so far. I'm kinda having trouble deciding how to design it though.

The tab I was talking about earlier is finished (with all the personal info). I'm running it on my phone and I've already had to use it twice today. Really handy.

Cicatrize 03-18-2009 10:51 PM

I keep giggling every time I compile the app. The first version (unreleased) was like 25KB. The 1.0 release was ~40KB. v2.2 is going to be over 200KB. Ridiculous! :D

Mattemer 03-18-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 781870)
I keep giggling every time I compile the app. The first version (unreleased) was like 25KB. The 1.0 release was ~40KB. v2.2 is going to be over 200KB. Ridiculous! :D

Haha that's great, but it's not too big so no worries. The main function that Excel _sort of_ was useful for was keeping the register, and automatically subtracting it from say my checking account total. But then sometimes I'd take money out of my savings account. And now I have multiple savings accounts. And just like you said, trying to keep track of how much i'm spending plus the register, was hard to see everything! Just some problems I hit trying to throw something like that together, maybe some thing to think about. If not then never mind :) Thanks again, and keep up the awesome work.

Cicatrize 03-18-2009 11:38 PM

I'm not sure of any way to make that sort of thing "easy" for anyone. Some of the best finance apps out there (for desktop Windows) still require a lot of input from the user, and if you're not on top of it, it gets messed up. If I can just find a way to code this so it automatically hooks up to your bank acct and fills all the info out for you...hmm...
lol

rainfreak 03-19-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 781974)
If I can just find a way to code this so it automatically hooks up to your bank acct and fills all the info out for you...hmm... lol

Sounds like something for version 4.0 or later :)

Cicatrize 03-19-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainfreak (Post 782222)
Sounds like something for version 4.0 or later :)

4.0? I was thinking more along the lines of 9.0. ;)

Does Microsoft Money even do that? I know they can log in to your credit card accounts for you, but I don't know what information they can retrieve.

Fisticuffs 03-19-2009 08:53 AM

Re: myBudget 1.0 - Monthly budget application

this is great.

Cicatrize 03-19-2009 09:22 AM

Re: myBudget 1.0 - Monthly budget application

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fisticuffs (Post 782520)
this is great.

Thank you!

Cicatrize 03-19-2009 09:54 AM

I'm trying to come up with some categories for the ledger. Here's what I have so far:

Meals & Entertainment
Automobile Expense
Housing Expenses
Other Bills
Groceries

Anyone have any more ideas for categories? I can't think of any other categories because all I ever see on my credit card's website is Meals & Entertainment and Automobile Expenses

rainfreak 03-19-2009 10:28 AM

I can't think of any, but what about having an "Other" category, which you can edit the name of to make whatever you want? That would let the user fully customize the app to his/her needs.

Cicatrize 03-19-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainfreak (Post 782690)
I can't think of any, but what about having an "Other" category, which you can edit the name of to make whatever you want? That would let the user fully customize the app to his/her needs.

That will be an option, but I'd like to categorize based on hard-coded values as much as possible. The goal would be to view how much you're paying in each category.

Cicatrize 03-19-2009 10:40 PM

Here I go with more crazy ideas...

How would you guys feel about a background-running service (as an option) that would notify you of your upcoming expenses and allow you to mark them as paid or not (when marked as paid, notifications would not occur on that item). This would be able to be customized to notify at certain days of the week and at certain times.

This is something I'm going to eventually code for myself, because I SUCK at remembering my bills, but I'd like to implement it into the app as a service if it's something that people would find useful.

Hafrust 03-20-2009 09:54 AM

That's another great idea.

Altuin 03-20-2009 10:03 AM

I installed this on my HTC Diamond and it works great love the program

think it needs some sort of refresh button instead of having to reopen the file the see the budget page recalculate

if its there already i apologize could someone point me to where it is

thanks
Michael

Cicatrize 03-20-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altuin (Post 785099)
I installed this on my HTC Diamond and it works great love the program

think it needs some sort of refresh button instead of having to reopen the file the see the budget page recalculate

if its there already i apologize could someone point me to where it is

thanks
Michael

I'm kinda mixed up on my versions, but I thought 2.1 did this. If not, 2.2 definitely fixes this. The budget page is now refreshed automatically when any adjustment to income or expenses is made.

If it isn't in 2.1, you should be able to select another tab, then go back to the Budget tab to recalculate it. I'm pretty sure that it was updated when the tab was selected in the old code. Sorry about that, and thanks for reporting.

fastevolutionviii 03-20-2009 01:16 PM

I have had this for only 20 minutes so far, and I must say this is one awesome app. Thanks so much!!!

rawdog805 03-20-2009 07:02 PM

Love the app, but for some reason when I edit one of my expenses it doesn't reflect in my disposable income and total expenses until I go through about 5 steps... Just wondering if you could add a refresh option...

Automaton 03-20-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 784440)
How would you guys feel about a background-running service (as an option) that would notify you of your upcoming expenses and allow you to mark them as paid or not (when marked as paid, notifications would not occur on that item). This would be able to be customized to notify at certain days of the week and at certain times.

This is something I'm going to eventually code for myself, because I SUCK at remembering my bills, but I'd like to implement it into the app as a service if it's something that people would find useful.

I would probably just integrate your app with the standard windows mobile calendar to schedule and manage reminders with useful info in them (amount, due date, account, etc.). Less complicated that way I think, and no need for running background services.

Cicatrize 03-21-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automaton (Post 786537)
I would probably just integrate your app with the standard windows mobile calendar to schedule and manage reminders with useful info in them (amount, due date, account, etc.). Less complicated that way I think, and no need for running background services.

The problem with the calendar is that if you pass the date something is due, you get no more reminders. With the service running, it would still pop up an item on the 16th that was due on the 15th that was not yet marked as paid. This is one of the frustrating things about the calendar. I have a couple bills that have 5-10 day grace periods on them, but they're DUE on a certain day, and I'd like to be reminded of that particular day, not the end of the grace period.

If the calendar was more versatile in this regard, I would do it.

Cicatrize 03-21-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawdog805 (Post 786406)
Love the app, but for some reason when I edit one of my expenses it doesn't reflect in my disposable income and total expenses until I go through about 5 steps... Just wondering if you could add a refresh option...

Crap...I guess that answers my question wondering if that version had that fix.

The new version will not do this. I have the budget tab auto-updating whenever any expense or income is added or edited.

guitardoc64 03-21-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 777540)
Assuming your commissions are monthly, the best way to do this is keep a different profile for each month. You can have your main profile with a salary item and a bonus item for your commission, then for a new month, just click Save As, select a new file name (i.e. April09), then simply edit the bonus amount and save.

Actually, it's bi-weekly on my check.

Cicatrize 03-21-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardoc64 (Post 787809)
Actually, it's bi-weekly on my check.

Hmm...that's tough. Have any ideas on how I can build this ability into the app? If you have the idea, I can code it. :)

Cicatrize 03-21-2009 04:00 PM

BTW, sorry this is taking so long, guys. I've been really busy at work and I had to go to the bar last night for the NCAA tourney and drink $2.50 22oz drafts all night. :D

Cicatrize 03-22-2009 11:44 AM

Things added in v2.2 so far:

[ADD] Click-Hold stylus on lists shows pop-up menu with Add/Edit/Remove
[ADD] Ledger tab: Keep track of your credits, debits, and balance
[ADD] Wallet tab: Store Credit Cards, Accounts, Logins, etc.
[ADD] List Sorting: Click column header once for ascending, twice for descending
[CHG] Tabs sized smaller again and retitled to fit all 5 on screen
[FIX] Errors caused by various other countries currency characters
[FIX] Budget tab updates properly now
[FIX] Income list: Clicking selected list item opened edit, now must dbl click
[FIX] Random minor bugs and validation issues
[DEL] Removed check box for startup tab option, now just defaults to Income

I [should] have some teaser images up for this VERY soon. I'm just having some issues with the Ledger tab because I coded the entire thing, scrapped it and changed it, then scrapped that, and recoded it again a third time. I think I finally have it how I like it (main goal was to require less input from user), but I seem to be having unexplainable problems. As soon as I get it working, the screens will be up here.

This version is taking quite a while because it's a LOT of code, especially the ledger stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if I tested the crap out of it and found no issues and someone found a bug in 5 minutes. :P

InvincibleLiving 03-22-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 787839)
BTW, sorry this is taking so long, guys. I've been really busy at work and I had to go to the bar last night for the NCAA tourney and drink $2.50 22oz drafts all night. :D

no apologies needed, that next version is shaping up nicely!!

Cicatrize 03-22-2009 02:43 PM

Here are a couple shots, one of the ledger tab, and one of the wallet tab:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5498/image00004f.jpg http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/17/image00005f.jpg

Cicatrize 03-22-2009 02:57 PM

Ah, sh*t. I don't know why I never even checked before I named this, but apparently there is an Apple iPhone app with the same EXACT name as this, and there is a finance solution on the web also called myBudget. Looks like I'll have to make a more permanent software company name and just call it "Budget"

rainfreak 03-22-2009 06:52 PM

Or call it ppcBudget, since it is for WinMo phones. And that would guarantee you search results for anyone searching the terms "budget" and "ppc."

Or you could call it myFinance(s); or ppcFinance(s). Since you are building more than just budget stuff into it... might make more sense.

Just a couple of thoughts for you :)

Cicatrize 03-22-2009 10:08 PM

Ok, it's up for vote: one of the two will be the new name:

1. myFinance
2. myMoney

After a search, I couldn't find any apps with either of those names, so those are the options for now.

Also, does everyone like the Ledger screen? If not, any suggestions?

Cicatrize 03-22-2009 10:11 PM

I thought about naming my "company" Cicatrize Software, Inc. because using the acronym CSI would just be awesome...but I'm not sure if that would work very well or not, lol.

airibis 03-23-2009 02:14 AM

im having a bit of a problem

I am filling in my income, and adding all of my expenses (only listed 5)

however, on my budget page, its listing 0.00$ and 0.00% under total expenses and % after tax income

and m y disposable income is not reflecting the expenses what so ever.

Cicatrize 03-23-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airibis (Post 791380)
im having a bit of a problem

I am filling in my income, and adding all of my expenses (only listed 5)

however, on my budget page, its listing 0.00$ and 0.00% under total expenses and % after tax income

and m y disposable income is not reflecting the expenses what so ever.

This is a known issue with v2.1 and will be fixed in the next version.

Cicatrize 03-23-2009 11:06 AM

Re: [3/23/09] myFinance 2.2 - Added Ledger & Wallet [2/23]!!! (VGA/QVGA/Wide)

Version 2.2 is UP and full of more AWESOME! :D

I'm going to be quite honest here... This version has SOOO much more code in it, and although I've done a lot of testing, there has to be some errors that I missed. Please help in testing this app and let me know of anything you encounter.

Change Log:
Code:

Version 2.2 - 3/23/09
[CHG] Program name is now myFinance
[ADD] Click-Hold stylus on lists shows pop-up menu with Add/Edit/Remove
[ADD] Ledger tab: Keep track of your credits, debits, and balance
[ADD] Wallet tab: Store Credit Cards, Accounts, Logins, etc.
[ADD] List Sorting: Click column header once for ascending, twice for descending
[CHG] Tabs sized smaller again and retitled to fit all 5 on screen
[FIX] Errors caused by various other countries' currency characters
[FIX] Budget tab updates properly now
[FIX] Income list: Clicking selected list item opened edit, now must dbl click
[FIX] Random minor bugs and validation issues
[DEL] Removed check box for startup tab option, now just defaults to Income

rainfreak 03-23-2009 11:44 AM

Re: [3/23/09] myFinance 2.2 (formerly myBudget) - Added Ledger & Wallet [3/23]!!!

Thanks for keeping this going and listening to all of our requests!

woody88 03-23-2009 12:57 PM

Re: [3/23/09] myFinance 2.2 (formerly myBudget) - Added Ledger & Wallet [3/23]!!!

man, this just keeps getting better and better. I so wanted to test it. but still have not gotten the time to do it, simply because we have been switched to a paying system at work. So I probably will still not be able to test it for another month possibly. keep up the fantastic work!

Cicatrize 03-23-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainfreak (Post 792119)
Thanks for keeping this going and listening to all of our requests!

Thanks, rainfreak! This app has gone WAY beyond what I ever imagined it would be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woody88 (Post 792313)
man, this just keeps getting better and better. I so wanted to test it. but still have not gotten the time to do it, simply because we have been switched to a paying system at work. So I probably will still not be able to test it for another month possibly. keep up the fantastic work!

Can't you play with it when you're not working? ;)

Cicatrize 03-23-2009 01:26 PM

Re: [3/23/09] myFinance 2.21 (formerly myBudget) - Added Ledger & Wallet [3/23]!!!

Well...that has to be the quickest re-release yet.

Version 2.21 is now up

Change Log:
Code:

Version 2.21 - 3/23/09
[CHG] Income list is one item larger
[ADD] After adding ledger item, it is selected on list
[FIX] Adding income in ledger, auto-calculated amount is taxed