PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

bast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Comparing Opera Mobile 9.5 builds, only one I know with full Java support!

I keep seeing people posting new Opera Mobile 9.5 builds, and everyone wants to always know oh does Flash work can I watch videos blah blah... waste of time.

Yeah the Flash Lite plug in works on some of the Opera builds but it's rediculously slow, any time you load a page with flash it usually chugs like crazy.

But one thing no one ever seems to mention or care about is the JAVA support, like support for Java applets. I have tried a LOT of Opera builds and so far only one that I've tried has really good Java applet support, as well as being the only one I've seen with the option in the settings menu to force Desktop mode, which causes most sites to load their full versions instead of loading the mobile version.

For anyone that has a Hotmail account you can test this out... try to load hotmail in most Opera builds and you can see your inbox but can't click on any mail. Or load a site like CNET and on the main page the animating applet with the top stories doesn't animate and the text is jumped.

If you want the best browsing experience on your PPC, I strongly suggest you hunt down Conflipper's Opera 9.5 build 15529!!! This build has VERY GOOD Java Applet support. Hotmail works great, CNET works great, embedded chat applets in sites that have them work great. Of course, flash still doesn't work fully, but still you get a LOT more of the 'real web' with the much better Java support!

Sorry if this came off as a bit of a rant... I just didn't get why no one seemed to care and everyone settles for these inferior builds of Opera.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:20 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: sprint

Wizzard is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWizzard is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWizzard is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Comparing Opera Mobile 9.5 builds, only one I know with full Java support!

And you would find this where, please.

Thank you

and yes, I did search!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 AM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!
Pocket PC: HTC TP Pro 2 (From HTC Touch Diamond)
Carrier: Sprint

lawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to lawmangrant Send a message via MSN to lawmangrant Send a message via Yahoo to lawmangrant Send a message via Skype™ to lawmangrant

bast, is this the leaked opera from TP2? Or an Omina build? Where did you get it?
PLAN:
Everything450, w/ unlimited mobile to mobile[B]

Need Dropbox? Use my referral here!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:46 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

pdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard View Post
And you would find this where, please.

Thank you

and yes, I did search!
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...519#post670519

just for an FYI, orb3000 over @ XDA has a list of all known Opera Mobile 9.5 builds:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=486502

The leaked version from the TP2 is 15613

Last edited by pdx77; 03-02-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

bast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbast525 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Thanks for posting that link. Sorry I didnt post it but I couldnt remember if I got it from XDA or here. But yeah that is the build you want, make sure and get the one posted by Conflipper. That is by far the best Opera build out of over a dozen that I have tried.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: sprint

Wizzard is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWizzard is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWizzard is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Thanks all but, I need a QVGA version.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

pdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard View Post
Thanks all but, I need a QVGA version.
All you really need to do to make it work for QVGA Devices is take a qvga standard_skin.zip and put it in Windows\Opera9\skin. also opera.ini needs to be edited for the qvga zoom levels.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

The build you're recommending seems cool but

Cons

Blank-home page
No Auto Rotate
No Touch Wheel

The first two cons I don't care about, but does no touch wheel mean you can't zoom into pages by circling the wheel? If so no thanks...
Old 03-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

does zooming with the circle mean that much to you vs zooming by slidling up or down on the right edge of the screen? The zoom feature in this build works great and is very easy, yet totally transparent... it is only visible when you use it then fades off the screen.

If I have to trade zooming with the circle pad for fully functioning Java applets and far better compatibility with more pages without sacrificing the ability to smoothly zoom in and out (to almost any amount, with auto word wrap!). that seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bast525 View Post
does zooming with the circle mean that much to you vs zooming by slidling up or down on the right edge of the screen? The zoom feature in this build works great and is very easy, yet totally transparent... it is only visible when you use it then fades off the screen.

If I have to trade zooming with the circle pad for fully functioning Java applets and far better compatibility with more pages without sacrificing the ability to smoothly zoom in and out (to almost any amount, with auto word wrap!). that seems like a no brainer to me.
Well, I have the following browsers:
PIE
Opera Mobile
Opera Mini
Skyfire
Iris

One out of those will work if the other one won't on a specific webpage, so yeah i'd prefer to have zoom via wheel capabilities.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software