PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 02:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Backup software testing

I have been tryout out all the different BU softwares lately (Resco, SPB, Sprite & SK Tools) & my latest test was doing a restore with Resco BU.

I have a spare TouchPro flashed with Scott Scrosler's standard ROM. I made a current BU of it with Resco & then hard reset it & told Resco to restore it.

What happened next was kinda weird. Resco gives you a screen saying you should hard reset before a restore. I had just done that so it should have been good to go.

One thing I noticed immediately was that even though I had backed up the system with Resco three times, there was only one BU file listed. Apparently, it overwrote the old file each time without asking me if that's what I wanted. That kinda scares me because if that particular file had been corrupted I might have been out of luck.

I told it to go ahead & restore which didn't go real well. It took FOREVER to restore & seemed to freeze up a couple times during the restore. When it was done & restarted, I had to click off probably six errors in a row & then TF3D refused to load.

At that point, just out of curiosity I opened Resco from the start menu & ran another restore without hard resetting first so all it did was overwrite what it had just restored. Much to my surprise, when it restarted this time there where no errors & everything including TF3D worked just fine.........

~John
Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Backup software testing

I'll be doing exactly the same test tonight with SPB & Sprite if I get the time.

~John
Old 02-05-2009, 02:23 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!
Carrier: Sprint

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207

Wow. Sounds pretty screwed up. I use SPB Backup and haven't been disappointed yet.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

+1 for SPB Backup. Been using it for years.

Definitely recommend it, even over Sprite.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:33 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

I did have a problem with SPB last week while I was doing some early testing. For some reason SPB always seems to hang up forever on the restore.vol (or something like that) file near the end of any restore (it did the same thing in my old Titan). It then asks you if you still want to continue the restore or abort (I can't imagine why you would want to abort a restore). After saying OK, it then continues on & everything is fine.

Last week however, I got another error screen shortly after the first one saying the restore had "timed out". There was no option other than to say OK (& the progress bar was NOT all the way to the end). I had never seen this happen before, but I said OK & the system restarted & the funny thing is everything seemed to work fine at that point.......

~John
Old 02-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I did have a problem with SPB last week while I was doing some early testing. For some reason SPB always seems to hang up forever on the restore.vol (or something like that) file near the end of any restore (it did the same thing in my old Titan). It then asks you if you still want to continue the restore or abort (I can't imagine why you would want to abort a restore). After saying OK, it then continues on & everything is fine.

Last week however, I got another error screen shortly after the first one saying the restore had "timed out". There was no option other than to say OK (& the progress bar was NOT all the way to the end). I had never seen this happen before, but I said OK & the system restarted & the funny thing is everything seemed to work fine at that point.......

~John
How weird.....i've never had any of those issues.

Maybe you've got a program running in the background that locks access to particular files that SPB is trying to backup/restore?

I usually do my backups/restores with as little running (If any at all) as possible.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:38 PM
DaGreatOne

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
+1 for SPB Backup. Been using it for years.

Definitely recommend it, even over Sprite.
Yeah, i use to use Sprite and it wasnt very good with restoring all apps.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:39 PM
DaGreatOne

When yu restoruing, uncheck the box to "Stop Process in the Background" and that will stop happening. It will also help it restore quicker
Old 02-05-2009, 03:13 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun0207 View Post
Yeah, i use to use Sprite and it wasn't very good with restoring all apps.
I think one thing I have proved (to myself anyway) is that different systems will react differently to what BU program is used & anyone buying one should try the free trial first.

I had three Titans (VZ xv6800's) previous to my 2 TouchPro's that I was constantly flashing & restoring etc etc. They where FULLY loaded with apps/programs etc. At that time I tried out both SPB & Sprite.

The first restore I did with Sprite was a complete disaster. The system ran, but it was full off errors, the home screen came up as a putrid shade of yellow etc etc etc. At that point, I restored it with SPB & it ran perfectly so from that point on SPB was all I ever used.

Now, testing in my TouchPro's I am getting quite a bit different results. Both SPB & Sprite have been updated since my 6800 days & I am using the latest versions of both. I recently backed up one TP & then restored that BU to the other TP. I had flashed that TP with a different ROM making the restore about as challenging as possible.

In that case, Sprite was the clear cut winner. The Sprite restored system ran perfectly in every detail (I didn't even have to redo my five email accounts). The SPB restored system went into an endless loop refusing to load TF3D & the email accounts did not work at all.

I really load up my systems with apps/tweaks/programs etc & a BU system that works perfectly is REALLY REALLY important to me. I have like 3 months of tweaking etc done to my current setup & there is NO WAY I'm doing it all over again so the ability to restore it is vital to me.

Since I have a spare phone, I am going to keep hard resetting it & restoring with different programs until I figure out which setup I think is the most dependable & I will post all the results here. I have no allegiance whatever to any particular program so I am really unbiased, what people do with the info I post is totally up to them. I don't care what system somebody else uses & I don't want to waste time arguing with anybody about it. I hate it when I see people make statements like "SPB is the best" with no details whatever to back up the statement.

~John
Old 02-05-2009, 05:58 PM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

Ah this is still going on, gr8 testing Mr.Morton. Best statement is to use free trial and make a pick. I have ben using all three for a while and none have failed me yet

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software