PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Firefox Mobile, Fennec Beta in 2008??

As a developer, I've seen exactly what alpha stage is. Me and the guy I work with build something, test it a little, and send it out. To be honest, we always think the program is better than it is and the testers give us a list of bugs we had no idea would be so long.

Don't think of their public ALPHA as a public beta. They are giving everyone a taste and getting free testing out of it. Beta stage should be more stable, like to a point where the developers run through it and don't find anything.

Look at opera mobile. That things gonna be in beta forever it seems like lol

Old 03-31-2009, 11:26 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
As a developer, I've seen exactly what alpha stage is. Me and the guy I work with build something, test it a little, and send it out. To be honest, we always think the program is better than it is and the testers give us a list of bugs we had no idea would be so long.

Don't think of their public ALPHA as a public beta. They are giving everyone a taste and getting free testing out of it. Beta stage should be more stable, like to a point where the developers run through it and don't find anything.

Look at opera mobile. That things gonna be in beta forever it seems like lol
Trueness. The other developer I work with and I rarely ever put anything out for beta testing unless we've tested it pretty thoroughly, and that's beta. On the rare occasion we do have an alpha, it's almost always unfinished, and is more of a demo of what's going to be available. Most of our alpha stuff is actually just GUI demo, and some parts of the code will actually throw errors. lol

There's nothing better than sending what YOU think is a finished beta product with no locatable bugs, then having the testing unit come back with like 15 bugs. hahah

Most of the time for us it's validation crap because people are kinda retarded and put stuff in fields that shouldn't go there.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
Trueness. The other developer I work with and I rarely ever put anything out for beta testing unless we've tested it pretty thoroughly, and that's beta. On the rare occasion we do have an alpha, it's almost always unfinished, and is more of a demo of what's going to be available. Most of our alpha stuff is actually just GUI demo, and some parts of the code will actually throw errors. lol

There's nothing better than sending what YOU think is a finished beta product with no locatable bugs, then having the testing unit come back with like 15 bugs. hahah

Most of the time for us it's validation crap because people are kinda retarded and put stuff in fields that shouldn't go there.
omg i know what you mean. We've been working on a project that was due 2 months ago, and for whatever reason, 2 1/2 months or so ago our testing team said everything was a-ok. Then when it came down to like a week before our deliverable date, we started getting these lists of bugs sometimes containing more than 50 items at a time.

To make matters worse, the things they were reporting at first were the minor things (like a panel being not aligned with others, or a mispelled word) then as we got closer to launch, they started reporting errors on the major functions of the program. Then people are looking at US like WE made the mistake.

It's been a nightmare.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
omg i know what you mean. We've been working on a project that was due 2 months ago, and for whatever reason, 2 1/2 months or so ago our testing team said everything was a-ok. Then when it came down to like a week before our deliverable date, we started getting these lists of bugs sometimes containing more than 50 items at a time.

To make matters worse, the things they were reporting at first were the minor things (like a panel being not aligned with others, or a mispelled word) then as we got closer to launch, they started reporting errors on the major functions of the program. Then people are looking at US like WE made the mistake.

It's been a nightmare.
LOL you gotta love it! I had a program go through rigorous beta testing, final testing, then the manager signed off on it and said it was perfect. I went ahead and released it into production (for our people)... Two weeks later:

THEM: "This is wrong. It keeps doing everything the wrong way."
ME: "I coded it EXACTLY as required with the information given"
THEM: *tells me things it should be doing*
ME: *shows them that none of that was on the request OR the Visio doc
THEM: "Well it needs to do this."
ME: "Submit a request...I'll see it when I get to the bottom of the pile"

People don't understand that we work with exactly what we've been given. If we're not given everything, not everything goes into it. heh

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software