PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

bruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Simple Pocket Outlook question.

I may be retarded, but I have been using Pocket PCs since they were first released and I don't know why I cant send emails from pocket outlook without synching. i have my pocket outlook folder and 2 pop3 accounts configured for retrieval on the phone when I am not at the computer and outlook is not running on the computer automatically downloading emails.

When I am out and about and going through my pocket outlook inbox and sending replies the sent mails go to the outbox waiting to be sent the next time I sync with activesync which could be a day later. I think I should be able to select an account (like one of the pop3 I have configed on the phone) on the email from box to send from like there is on outloook desktop but PO doesnt allow this.

So is this just another retarded thing about Winmo or am I the retarded one?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop
Re: Simple Pocket Outlook question.

Do you get any kind of error message?

Old 08-29-2008, 11:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizion Wireless

shawn is a n00b

Sounds like an outgoing mail server issue. Most times you can't access an outgoing mail server unless you are connected though the same provider's internet connection. This is to reduce spammers access to mail servers. I personally use a free mail2web exchange account and sync OTA. That way I do not have server issues. I have also used my gmail account's outgoing mail server with authentication. Works great also and does not tie you to any certain data connection.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:57 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Sounds like an outgoing mail server issue. Most times you can't access an outgoing mail server unless you are connected though the same provider's internet connection. This is to reduce spammers access to mail servers.
I thought that could be the problem, but usually an error message will appear, if that's the case. I use RoadRunner and had to deal with that issue. For OP, try using your wireless provider's SMTP server, but your email/ISP's POP server. Advise if you need assistance with this.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

bruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuff

no I have no problems with mail

I'm talking about the mail that syyncs from your pc's outlook inbox. It goes into your outlook email on the phone and when you reply to those emails there is no way to send then until you resync. It would be nice to haave the send account drop down so you could choose to send thru another account on the phone just like there is on desktop Outlook
Old 08-30-2008, 07:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

shawn is a n00b

Not sure I completely understand. Are you using a program that actually syncs directly with your outlook account on your pc. If so, what program are you using.

If you are wanting to stay synced with your pc, I would suggest something with imap support.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Not sure I completely understand. Are you using a program that actually syncs directly with your outlook account on your pc. If so, what program are you using.

If you are wanting to stay synced with your pc, I would suggest something with imap support.
Yeah... Activesync and outlook 2007.... I wonder what the optimal way to manage mail is that everyone that uses when using outlook. I have my pop & Imap accounts all into my desktop outlook and separate in pocket outlook. When I am away from the office i make sure outlook desktop is not running and I download all the new mail on the phone as I delete the mail that I don't want when Pocket outlook send/recieves it deletes them off the server. Then when i am back to the desktop outlook and send/recieve it downloads all of the emails I have read on the pocket outlook and then the next send recieve my pocket outlook does it does not see the emails in the account anymore so it deletes them from the particular email acoount inbox on the pocket outlook.

It all seems to work well but besides the non ability to send out emails from outlook inbox on the phone until resynching to the desktp, I also wish that sent and deleted mails would sync back to desktop outlook as it is now they basically are lost or have to stay on the phone, so that sort of breaks the ability to maintain a complete email record.

Is there a better way to manage multipe pop accounts between the winmo phone and outlook desktop?
Old 08-30-2008, 04:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

shawn is a n00b

I use gmail. Set up a free gmail account and use it to aggregate all your mail. You can set up you other accounts to forward all mail to gmail or set up gmail to check your pop mail for you. Then enable imap for your gmail account (it's free). You can then configure your pc outlook and ppc outlook to your gmail imap account only. This will allow you to keep both synced together and allow you to reply anytime to email. It will also give you web access to you email.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software