PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 05:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: tp
Carrier: sprint

almighty is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
podcast downloader? wm

Im looking for software will automaticly download podcast from a site, or notify me that new podcast are avalible and let me download it with one click, i imagine an RSS reader would let me do this but im not sure what would be the best to use. i deal with alot of science and technology podcast that i forget about alot :/
Old 03-06-2008, 06:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Jet
Carrier: Sprint

trav230 is keeping up the good worktrav230 is keeping up the good work
Re: podcast downloader? wm

I use BeyondPod for this task. It lets you define what categories each podcast falls under and then sort by category, decide where to download a podcast, caches an RSS feed, and you can either play the podcast through them or any music player. Hope that helps!
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

+1 for BeyondPod.

late,
Coz
Old 03-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff

NewsBreak can do this, but BeyondPod sound interesting... I will have to try it out...

I really liked FeederReader but it seems to have stopped development and the interface is getting dated... The big advantage it has over Newsbreak is being able to continue an interupted podcast download... Newsbreak just starts over...
Old 06-06-2008, 07:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Telus

andsoitgoes is becoming a great contributor

I tested out a few, sorry for dredging up an old thread, but I've found major issues - Speed of downloading was just horrendous. I simply couldn't get it to download at any sort of reasonable speed.

What I *DID* find that was incredibly fast was PocketPodcasts - http://pocketpodcasts.sourceforge.net/about.php

This was the bomb, insanely fast - however I could NEVER figure out how to store the podcasts on the storage card, and since most of the podcasts I listen to are usually 80+ megs in size, it's a bit of a buzzkill, because I just don't have that much space

Has anyone used that, any suggestions? The forums there are down, and I think development halted a long, long time ago.

I literally tried about 7 different programs with no luck whatsoever. I'm going to check out FeederReader and Newsbreak, don't care what the interface is like, as long as it can download at a reasonable speed!
Old 06-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker

sparhawk6 is keeping up the good worksparhawk6 is keeping up the good worksparhawk6 is keeping up the good work

I agree, the download speeds on all these podcatchers is horrendous. I don't understand it. I'm on an EVDO connection.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:23 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc Touch Pro

tj78492 is a n00b

I use conduits pocket player, its a media player and has a section for podcasts. You can stream straight from the rss feed so you dont need to download, it plays each feed as a playlist and it has an auto resume function. Good seek options too, you can skip back in forth in different increments if you ever loose your place
Old 06-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Lurker

JakeS is keeping up the good workJakeS is keeping up the good work

I've never had an issue with download speed using BeyondPod when I tell it to update manually. But I usually let it download on a schedule at night when I'm not paying attention.

And it also lets you stream direct from the source instead of downloading.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

BeyondPod looks cool, I am going to give it a try, thanks!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker

sparhawk6 is keeping up the good worksparhawk6 is keeping up the good worksparhawk6 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeS View Post
I've never had an issue with download speed using BeyondPod when I tell it to update manually. But I usually let it download on a schedule at night when I'm not paying attention.

And it also lets you stream direct from the source instead of downloading.
Interesting. Does BeyondPod need to be running in order for the scheduled downloads to happen? Or will it launch on it's own?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software