PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 02:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: verizon xv6700

christinme7890 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
best pocket pc tv

i have mobitv from a friend and it is not that good on the 6700 (i have helmi's rom so wm6) and it keeps skipping or stuttering real bad.

My question: has anyone used a tv software on their 6700 or any pocket pc with wm6 that works very well?
Old 12-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

pdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinme7890 View Post
i have mobitv from a friend and it is not that good on the 6700 (i have helmi's rom so wm6) and it keeps skipping or stuttering real bad.

My question: has anyone used a tv software on their 6700 or any pocket pc with wm6 that works very well?
Weird MobiTV doesn't work that good for you, it runs great on my 6700 with hardly any buffering, are you using an older version? The newest one has improved the quality of it quite a bit.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: verizon xv6700
Threadstarter

christinme7890 is a n00b
what rom are you using???is it stock or a custom one? I bought the most recent one from handandgo.com so it must be the most recent. It could be the internet that I am using that makes it slow. I have also had it exit out of the program in the middle before as well.....you mentioned buffering, are there settings, maybe registry settings, that I can play with?
Old 12-18-2007, 12:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

DYGIT is a n00b
Slingbox

Get a slingbox - then get the WM6 software - it is a seamless program that works great!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Super Delux Windoz9 6800+
Carrier: SARS, Avian Flu, Scabies

canospinach is keeping up the good workcanospinach is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to canospinach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYGIT View Post
Get a slingbox - then get the WM6 software - it is a seamless program that works great!
with all due respect to your opinion, slingbox is kind of hoaky. Its your own rebroadcast analog tv where mobi is at least content prepared for the mobile experience. Not to mention with Slingbox you are killing your home upload bandwidth and using a home pc for fairly poor quality media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinme7890 View Post

Personally i have used Mobi and STV on both the 6700 and 6800 both working really well. Pdx77 is right on when he says "make sure your using the latest version".

It sounds like what your experiencing is more of a network/bandwidth issue.

often when the coverage is light you may get odd connection errors or stuttering/buffering slowdowns.

Last edited by canospinach; 12-18-2007 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

DYGIT is a n00b
Hoaky (sic) it is not

[QUOTE=canospinach;144756]with all due respect to your opinion, slingbox is kind of hoaky. Its your own rebroadcast analog tv where mobi is at least content prepared for the mobile experience. Not to mention with Slingbox you are killing your home upload bandwidth and using a home pc for fairly poor quality media.QUOTE]

Sorry to dispel your truths, but Slingbox has excellent video quality - I have digital cable with hd and the slingbox video is excellent quality - perhaps it's time to get rid of your tube tv fella!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYGIT View Post
Sorry to dispel your truths, but Slingbox has excellent video quality - I have digital cable with hd and the slingbox video is excellent quality - perhaps it's time to get rid of your tube tv fella!
Ok, Your absolutely right about quality depending on source. If you pipe a high quality signal to your Slingbox then thats what you get out of it.

In the interest of "Dispelling Truths" lets honestly point out some major drawbacks to the system:

1) You are mirroring your source signal. Meaning you are forced to watch whatever is being watched on the source box. just like the old days of having 2 tvs split off one reciever, they both show whatever the reciever is tuned to.

2) You are killing your home upload bandwidth. Everything which is being sent to your phone is being streamed from your home (or source) internet connection.

And hey there fella, time to get some real HD, cable tends to have the worst performance due to bandwidth limitations. For serious picture quality you are forced to go OTA or Satellite as they dont suffer the same bandwidth limitations.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

pdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuff
how much upload bandwith does it really kill? most of us these days get at least 1mb in upload speeds, so even if you stream something @ 256 it shouldn't really make a difference.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx77 View Post
how much upload bandwith does it really kill? most of us these days get at least 1mb in upload speeds, so even if you stream something @ 256 it shouldn't really make a difference.
The formal average in Southern California is low, only 386kbps, that includes Los Angeles and San Diego markets as per Cox cables recent analysis.

Not to mention if your on a cable connection your bandwidth is not static due to it being a shared general 35mb line for a given area (lucky DSL owners! dont have that issue). So on an afternoon when the network is busy your upload may fluctuate even more.

I can completely agree though, that for the standard individual the upload may not be a real concern.

Dont get me wrong, Slingbox is a fine service. Clearly there are folks who really enjoy it.

It just doesnt live upto my expectations. Besides with IPTV pretty much on our doorstep, products like Sling will either evolve into real media servers or go the way of the dinosaur.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Indigenous Nudist
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Torx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIP
slingplayer has 3 media settings, low, medium, high action.
low for those with poor broadband(displays at lower fps), mediumfor those with a decent broadband(displays at a reasonable fps), and high action is what i use with comcast, near 30fps, beautiful quality not really taxing on my home broadband..

you have options... you have REAL TV, not dumbed down "mobilized" tv. and you dont have a limit to what you can watch.. if i had satellite with a bajillion channels that would rock ass but i got comcrapstick and very satisfied with my basic channel lineup.

iptv, while i wish it would hurry the F up and get here theres still some wait time. mobitv is nice, but i dont see paying for a subscription like sprinttv for the same channels i can view at home

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software