PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

system6 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Upgrading RAM.....

This might be going too far, but I am surprised I haven't heard of someone or some company upgrading the RAM on like the Mogul or Touch. I know they are soldered onto the board, but they are actually soldered, not hard wired so it shouldn't be too hard. Anyone know of anything like this?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Super Delux Windoz9 6800+
Carrier: SARS, Avian Flu, Scabies

canospinach is keeping up the good workcanospinach is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to canospinach
Quote:
Originally Posted by system6 View Post
This might be going too far, but I am surprised I haven't heard of someone or some company upgrading the RAM on like the Mogul or Touch. I know they are soldered onto the board, but they are actually soldered, not hard wired so it shouldn't be too hard. Anyone know of anything like this?
Ok its my understanding that this is not an option because it is "Part of" the PCB not simply soldered on. These devices dont use RAM "Banks" like a PC, instead due to the size of the pcb are integrated with the ROM chip on the PCB.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:39 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

tenpinmogul is a n00b
I saw a link to a company that had looked into doing this for various PPC phones, I don't remember the company but I think the link was posted at the XDA forums. They didn't give any reasoning but the site said the upgrade wasn't possible.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Threadstarter

system6 is a n00b
Cool. I am actually a Sprint Tech (Posting from work) and I know that on the Mogul it is just a small chip soldered onto the board. I have no clue though on the Touch.

It could actually go down into the MB wafer, but it has actual solder drops on the top of it, not hardwire. The truth is though that if it was easy to do, we would probably already be seeing it. Thanks for your help!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Super Delux Windoz9 6800+
Carrier: SARS, Avian Flu, Scabies

canospinach is keeping up the good workcanospinach is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to canospinach
Quote:
Originally Posted by system6 View Post
Cool. I am actually a Sprint Tech (Posting from work) and I know that on the Mogul it is just a small chip soldered onto the board. I have no clue though on the Touch.

It could actually go down into the MB wafer, but it has actual solder drops on the top of it, not hardwire. The truth is though that if it was easy to do, we would probably already be seeing it. Thanks for your help!
I too am a tech

these days i simply consult with SPCS and no longer deal with the retail channel (i worked on 2 service center roll out projects, 1 w/PBW - now ATT and we developed the Nextel - now SPCS program). My local MM and I go way back almost 15 years (we both worked for long dead USWest/GTE Mobilnet and then Wcom).

Companies used to promote this for the Apache and other models. As you know from looking at the Titan PCB its really not an easy and or reliable mod unless you are seriously advanced. I have some experience designing PCBs and you can get into trouble real fast working with such small real estate.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:41 PM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: Sprint

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
One of the problems with upgrading the RAM is the warranty issue. If you have TEP, I suppose you could say you lost it and pay $50 for a replacement. However, this is unethical. In addition the cost would be a couple hundred dollars for the upgrade if it was possible (from what I remember reading a while back on XDA).

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software