PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 01:10 AM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!
Pocket PC: HTC TP Pro 2 (From HTC Touch Diamond)
Carrier: Sprint

lawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to lawmangrant Send a message via MSN to lawmangrant Send a message via Yahoo to lawmangrant Send a message via Skype™ to lawmangrant
Re: Just What is Microsoft Up too????????

MS tends to always be a "day late, dollar short" with some things though.

Windows ME should have never been released, and with WM7 coming out late in the year, it looks like 6.5 should just be skipped.
PLAN:
Everything450, w/ unlimited mobile to mobile[B]

Need Dropbox? Use my referral here!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond Touch
Carrier: SFR

DarkAngelFR is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to DarkAngelFR
Re: Just What is Microsoft Up too????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun0207 View Post
JUST WHAT THE HELL IS THE PURPOSE OF WINDOWS MOBILE 6.5?

From what we've seen and heard so far, WM6.5 is bacically another update to WM6.0 adding some different and requested options same as 6.1 did with Threaded Text messaging and a better Task Manager.

Lets take into consideration the new "so called" improvments in 6.5. The "Honeycomb" interface, Removing the Start and Programs menus and making the system more finger friendly. Ok, we appreciate that MS, but from what we've seen of the Multitouch functons inclued in WM7, what the hell is positnt of realeasing 6.5?

Some reports area also making it seems like current 6.1 devices will not be alble to be updated to 6.5. Only new devices being realeased with 6.5 with be able to be updaed with WM7. THAT SUCKS , MS!

Google's Android, Apple, and Palm's webOS are all light years ahead of of Windows Mobile in functions and custtomer rrequested imporvements. Hell Google is about to realease the Dream 2 with some updates for Android.

Not to mention I dont think most of us who really enjoy HTC's TF3D will really enjoy the Hoeycomb interface. I wouldnt be surprised if Google comes out with some type of TF3D like interface.

What does microsoft hope to accomplish by bringing WM6.5 out and not offering us WM7 until next year? How come we sw pics of WM7 long before we ever saw in pics of WM6.5? Were the WM7 photos a fake? I already have a perfectly usable WM7 theme in WAD.

I tell you one thing Microsoft seems to have hit a success with Windows 7. They better start showing some attention to Windows Mobile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmangrant View Post
MS tends to always be a "day late, dollar short" with some things though.

Windows ME should have never been released, and with WM7 coming out late in the year, it looks like 6.5 should just be skipped.
Hello,
WM6.5 was made to make 6.1 more user-friendly. The main problem with 6.1 is the user-friendly part, many functionnality are built-in but not easy to access (or to know they exists). 6.5 is made on the 6.1 core, this is "just" an update. Many small improvement on design and some software updates.
This explains why some may not see lots of difference between 6.1 and 6.5.
About upgrade from 6.1 to 6.5, microsoft clearly stated that there will be 2 factors : they will provide upgrade function but only "generic update" : manufacturer will have to cook there ROM upgrade for 6.5, this mean that HTC for example will have to cook the 6.5ROM for the model they want to be supported....Microsoft can't force them to do it...Second point is the operators : I don't know in other countries but in france operators re-cook manufacturer roms to add there own skins, applications, lock things, remove applications, (dirty job but that's another point), same here : operators will have to take manufacturers cooked rom to customize them... So for sure it will be hard to get upgrade 6.1 to 6.5 because manufacturer want to sell new phones and because operators have nothing to earn from giving those upgrade! they prefer you get new phones (and sign for 12 more months at least!)...

Last thing to know : WM7 is a full rewrite of the core and it took more time than expected. To avoid the Vista problem they prefered post-poned the release and release an intermediate thing (6.5). It's as if the day they released Vista they said : ok lets release XP2 and move release of Vista for a year....They didn't and now many people don't like vista : the goal of all this is just to avoid this kind of thing...

And 6.5 will allow developpers to start using the "AppStore" before the WM7 rush...Should be a good point also (for me).
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development