PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > TP2 Themes & Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Big Red

Herbal954 is keeping up the good workHerbal954 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: PhoneFusion Questions

if you leave it running in the background does it consume a considerate amount of battery?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Multiple
Carrier: Multiple

PhoneFusion is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbal954 View Post
if you leave it running in the background does it consume a considerate amount of battery?

It doesn't do anythig unless a message comes in. It's just quickly available if you want to go into it or a message comes in.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

vne147 is a n00b

OK, I'm making slow but steady progress. I found where in the registry it is specified to run FVMPlus.exe when the text message arrives. It is:

Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox\Rules\ FVVM
Value:
Command
Value Data:
\Program Files\FVMPlus\FVMPlus.exe

Just to test this I changed the path contained in value data to another executable and then left myself a voicemail. Sure enough the other executable ran shortly thereafter. Something else interesting happened though. A few minutes later I received the specially formated text message that the Phone Fusion guy talked about. Before I changed the path in value data I never actually saw the text, everything just happened in the background, but after I changed the path, it showed up like a normal text message. So, it is clear that I still don't fully understand what is going on here.

What I'd like to do eventually is when this special text is received instead of running FVMPlus.exe, it would increment the unread message count registry entry. This would cause the voicemail notification to show up on the Today screen. Then, when the user clicks on the unread voicemail notification, instead of calling *86, it would run FVMPlus.exe and set the unread voicemail registry entry back to zero (causing the unread notification to go away on the Today screen). I still haven't figured out how I can change the action that happens when the unread voicemail notification is clicked though. I did figure out where in the registry the number to call upon clicking the unread voicemail notification is stored. It is:

Key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Vmail
Value:
UserProvidedNumber1
Value Data:

I would also like to prevent the specially formatted text message from popping up. Not quite sure on that one yet either.

One of my problems is that even after I figure out the interactions going on here, I'm not quite sure how I would go about implementing the changes. Can I write some sort of script to handle this? If my approach outlined in the above paragraph would work, it will probably have to be 2 scripts. I'm fairly proficient with C, Perl and Assembly for Microchip but I've never done any sort of programming for a WM device. I've heard about Mort Scripting from various threads but don't really know what it is or what it's used for.

Spetrillo, Herbal954, P-slim, Phone Fusion, anyone...Ideas, suggestions, comments, criticisms, etc? Thanks!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Lurker

PhoneFusion is a n00b

You can do anything that you want but the app can't read the text messages from the inbox and everytime it runs it re-installs the hook to catch the messages.

We'd like to add toady/home screen support but that has a number of issues with it.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

vne147 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneFusion View Post
You can do anything that you want but the app can't read the text messages from the inbox and every time it runs it re-installs the hook to catch the messages.

We'd like to add toady/home screen support but that has a number of issues with it.
I understand that you recommended not to make any changes to the registry and I understand that you can't guarantee that Phone Fusion will be stable if I do so but that being said, I like to tinker, I understand that anything I break is my fault and I would really like to integrate Phone Fusion with my Today screen. If worse comes to worst and I totally jack up my registry I can just hard reset.

Thank you for pointing out the fact that the hook gets reinstalled every time Phone Fusion runs. It probably would have taken me some time to figure out what was going on there. I did figure out a way to work around it though. I basically copied over the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox\Rules\ FVVM key and named it something different. Now I can use that key to increment the unread voicemail count so that a notification will show up on the today screen. I also renamed the FVMPlus.exe file in the Program Files\FVMPlus folder to prevent the original registry key that gets reinstalled every time from running Phone Fusion. I know renaming that file will probably break some other things. I can clean them up later.

I want to understand why you mentioned that the app can't read the message from the inbox. Were you saying that to make me realize that doing the work around the way I'm suggesting will necessitate a manual sync of Phone Fusion after it 's started sometime later by tapping the notification on the Today screen? If that's the only thing this method would result in me having to do, I think I could live with that.
Also, why does the text message show up in my inbox when I stop Phone Fusion from running upon receiving it? What does Phone Fusion do to stop this from happening normally? I would really like to prevent that from happening. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

Austin808 is becoming a great contributor

My understanding it that when you are left a voicemail phonefusion sends your phone a text message. This message alerts the local phonefusion app that you have a voicemail. The app then deletes the text message

It sounds like this might be fixable by using a mortscript to increment the vm counter launch phonefusion and then shut phonefusion down again.

I was going to look into how force phonefusion to route the audio to the headset instead of speaker using audioroute. I have not had much time to do this yet.

But if you can make it so that clicking the voicemail indicator lauches a mortscript, that script could call audioroute and then phonefusion.

This is very interesting and sounds like it might be doable. I have not done much with mortscript yet, but appears to be a simple scripting language.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker

If i may make a suggestion since it seems staff is present here, i would certainly use the program if when you get a voice mail instead of launching the program it sent you a text message or a notification of some sort alerting you to manually launch the application
Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

vne147 is a n00b

HOLY CRAP!!! Mortscript rocks! I downloaded and installed Mortscript 4.2 and within 10 minutes I had my first script implemented. The following script increments the unread voicemail message count. Any value greater than zero makes the notification show up on the Today screen. It's so simple:

# Phone Fusion Fix Script 1
#
# This script is called from the registry key:
# \HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox\Rules\FVVM_Today_Fi x\Command
# when a text is received to notify the Phone Fusion application of a new voicemail

unread = RegRead( "HKCU" , "System\State\Messages\vmail\Total\Unread" , "Count")
unread = unread + 1
RegWriteDWord( "HKCU", "System\State\Messages\vmail\Total\Unread" , "Count" , unread )

So as of now, I fixed it so that when a voicemail is received the notification shows up on the Today screen and at the same time the Phone Fusion application is prevented from automatically running.

Next, I need to find the callback associated with tapping the Today screen notification. Once that's figured out I can write a second script that will set the unread message count back to zero and then launch the Phone Fusion app.

Finally, I need to figure out how to stop that pesky text from showing up in my inbox. I'm thinking that maybe I can add something to the script above that will intercept and delete the message before it shows up. This bit is still a mystery to me. Maybe the Phone Fusion contributor to this thread can help shed a little light. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker

thanks pretty cool, but i would like to see this as an option implemented into the application natively
Old 10-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Lurker

PhoneFusion is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbal954 View Post
thanks pretty cool, but i would like to see this as an option implemented into the application natively

there are a number of reasons that the application functions that way that it does.

First a notificatiion, run, sync operation is a very expensive operation on our side as well as on the phone side. In addition to that, you then have to manually download any message that you want to hear/view so there is a wait for that.

The idea behind the application is to get notified on just new messages and then download them in the background.

Please don't create an automated script to force manual syncs. If we see accounts that are doing that frequently we may have to take action to deal with it. Keep in mind that we have hundreds of thousands of users and we watch performace stats like a hawk.

I know where/how to set the number of new messages but without better intergration it doesn't have a lot of value.

We have codes to change audio on a few different devices but the manuafacturers do not give this information freeley and in order to properly mange audio we would have to write our own player or risk interfereing with proper phone operation. It's on or list.

What really is the issue here? Leaving the app running in the background? It doesn't do anyting if it's not active, but if you get a message it does exactly what it's supposed to.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > TP2 Themes & Software