PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
the magic mod
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6950, TP2, iPad/iPod, Evo, Note3
Carrier: sprint

puff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Step by Step tutorial for unlocking your device and cooking your own ROM!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMedic View Post
1. To begin the kitchen process you need to point your browser to http://ppckitchen.org/downloads/BuildOS.msi to download the installer. Once you have BuildOS.msi downloaded just run the installer. Make sure you install to the default location.
This link needs to be updated, with the recent changes at http://ppckitchen.org

here is the new link to the BuildOS installer:
http://www.ppckitchen.org/forums/loc...&catid=4&id=11
Old 10-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Ditch Doctor
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

GaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Thanks for the heads up Puff. I changed the link. I have been away a lot lately so i have not kept up much.

Feel free to if choose to do so.
My ROM for Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, US Cellular and Cricket 20931 Base!!

The THANKS button is over there------------------------------------------------>
Old 10-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: Alltel

chevyforlife is keeping up the good workchevyforlife is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to chevyforlife

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up Puff. I changed the link. I have been away a lot lately so i have not kept up much.
that makes me a sad panda

~chevy
---------------- Now playing: Dope - Debonaire via FoxyTunes
Radio: 3.42.50
Old 10-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: samsung omnia 2 i8000
Carrier: bell

adriancox is a n00b

Thanks, works now.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

quiqnezz is keeping up the good workquiqnezz is keeping up the good work

Thanks to all who have helped out. This is a great write up and with a few more minor details added to simplify it, it would be even better. Still appreciate the time you took to write it up.

I finally got my first custom ROM on my mogul and i'm loving it. Guess in a few days or so when I some free time i'll get my feet wet into the cooking process.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 PM
the magic mod
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6950, TP2, iPad/iPod, Evo, Note3
Carrier: sprint

puff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiqnezz View Post
Thanks to all who have helped out. This is a great write up and with a few more minor details added to simplify it, it would be even better. Still appreciate the time you took to write it up.

I finally got my first custom ROM on my mogul and i'm loving it. Guess in a few days or so when I some free time i'll get my feet wet into the cooking process.
Glad this guide helped, thats why GaMedic created it

In regards to the 'improvements' that you speak of, could you provide a more detailed explanation of what you would change/add and why/how you would change it, then i'm sure GaMedic will gladly review your feedback and either update the guide to provide a more concise understanding to the n00bz or respond to your constructive criticism with an explanation of why there is no need for an update...
Old 10-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

quiqnezz is keeping up the good workquiqnezz is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
Glad this guide helped, thats why GaMedic created it

In regards to the 'improvements' that you speak of, could you provide a more detailed explanation of what you would change/add and why/how you would change it, then i'm sure GaMedic will gladly review your feedback and either update the guide to provide a more concise understanding to the n00bz or respond to your constructive criticism with an explanation of why there is no need for an update...
Right, well I guess my comment is more carrier specific. As Rippa MD mentioned earlier in the thread, if you already have an up to date radio then there is no need to upgrade it as per the "updating the radio" portion of the write up. At least with those sprint users who are running a pretty recent ROM/RADIO version. Just guess it would be nice to add that into the write up so that noobs like me don't get confused and think that they HAVE to update the radio and ROM. That if they already have an update version that they can skip that step. I know that this section was geared towards other carriers but it took a little reading and questions to find out that I didn't have to do this part.

I think there is also a part in the unlocking process where it states that after you unlock there should be a nbh file created on your memory card and to delete it before proceeding to the next step of flashing your custom rom. But i'm pretty sure that when I unlocked that file didn't show up on my memory card so I wasn't sure if it had unlocked correctly. Turns out that it did and was verified by just going back into boot loader mode and checking. I guess it would be nice to know that the file "MIGHT" or might not be there, and if it isn't it's ok as long as you see that the bootloader has changed on the boot screen. I know, it's not that big of a deal but some of us wanna make sure that everything is happening just as it says in the write up, and if it doesn't then it's ok if you just check the boot loader screen for the change.

I think that was it, i'll look over the instructions again just to clarify what i'm talking about or see if I missed something but this is basically it.

Thanks again. And I hope things go as smoothly when I start cooking using this write up.

Last edited by quiqnezz; 10-03-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Ditch Doctor
Threadstarter

GaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIPGaMedic is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiqnezz View Post
Right, well I guess my comment is more carrier specific. As Rippa MD mentioned earlier in the thread, if you already have an up to date radio then there is no need to upgrade it as per the "updating the radio" portion of the write up. At least with those sprint users who are running a pretty recent ROM/RADIO version. Just guess it would be nice to add that into the write up so that noobs like me don't get confused and think that they HAVE to update the radio and ROM. That if they already have an update version that they can skip that step. I know that this section was geared towards other carriers but it took a little reading and questions to find out that I didn't have to do this part.

I think there is also a part in the unlocking process where it states that after you unlock there should be a nbh file created on your memory card and to delete it before proceeding to the next step of flashing your custom rom. But i'm pretty sure that when I unlocked that file didn't show up on my memory card so I wasn't sure if it had unlocked correctly. Turns out that it did and was verified by just going back into boot loader mode and checking. I guess it would be nice to know that the file "MIGHT" or might not be there, and if it isn't it's ok as long as you see that the bootloader has changed on the boot screen. I know, it's not that big of a deal but some of us wanna make sure that everything is happening just as it says in the write up, and if it doesn't then it's ok if you just check the boot loader screen for the change.

I think that was it, i'll look over the instructions again just to clarify what i'm talking about or see if I missed something but this is basically it.

Thanks again. And I hope things go as smoothly when I start cooking using this write up.
I will update the Radio detail in the original post. I can see how it could be a little confusing. You are the first to mention this so it doesn't seem to be an issue but if it possibly keeps down confusion I will be glad to edit. On the other comment you made about the nbh file, I have no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps if you qoute the part you have questioned directly from the tutorial it will clarify what you mean. The only place I recall a comment being made about a nbh file being created is in the section about cooking a ROM in the kitchen. I stated that a nbh file would be created and that the file can be placed on a SD card to flash the ROM using the SD method. Maybe you can clarify what you mean.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Ditch Doctor
Threadstarter

Updated post 3 to add this comment:

Edit: If you already have a GPS enabled Radio you can skip this step. Radio versions 3.35 and higher are GPS enabled.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:55 PM
ACSyndicate.net
Pocket PC: Epic

flyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Skype™ to flyers2114

Quote:
Updated post 3 to add this comment:

Edit: If you already have a GPS enabled Radio you can skip this step. Radio versions 3.35 and higher are GPS enabled.
You may want to also add that performance wise 3.42.40 is much better for GPS locks....I believe originally that is why you added it....correct me if I am wrong...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development