PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 10:26 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: I think I bricked my epic lol :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf671 View Post
I have been OCing PC's for 15-17 years and if you hit 10% of normal speed you were lucking. As times change and thermal cooling got better so did the OCing. Now the normal life of a CPU running at it's stock speed was 10 years per Intel. When you OC you will produce more heat and you better have a way to remove that heat. I have a Quad CPU rated 2800ghz OC'd to 4000ghz and I use water cooling to reach that speed.

Please explain to me why you want to OC you phone 40% of rated speed.
If you really are getting 1400 I think it's just a matter of time before you phone will fail.
Well not really..the original droid cpu was able to hit 2x its stock clock speed..the mobile CPU industry is a little bit different then the PC industry...

Many times manufacturer can choose to even underclock phones..yo gotta consider that overclocking takes up more energy..and manufacturer may choose to keep it lower to save battery...and in times re-release the same cpu higher clocked..

But if you want a PC example..the e6600 overclocked 40% easy..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 04-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Well not really..the original droid cpu was able to hit 2x its stock clock speed..the mobile CPU industry is a little bit different then the PC industry...

Many times manufacturer can choose to even underclock phones..yo gotta consider that overclocking takes up more energy..and manufacturer may choose to keep it lower to save battery...and in times re-release the same cpu higher clocked..

But if you want a PC example..the e6600 overclocked 40% easy..
I think he saying that a PC has active cooling technology while a cell phone has none. I agree with him that it's probably killing the electronics faster, but most of the time it'll last till the next upgrade, because we all want the newest toys as soon as they drop. Plus you have the underclock and optimizations to save battery life that you mentioned, so it might not be pushing the cpu to the max when overclocking...
Old 04-23-2011, 10:40 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf671 View Post
I have been OCing PC's for 15-17 years and if you hit 10% of normal speed you were lucking. As times change and thermal cooling got better so did the OCing. Now the normal life of a CPU running at it's stock speed was 10 years per Intel. When you OC you will produce more heat and you better have a way to remove that heat. I have a Quad CPU rated 2800ghz OC'd to 4000ghz and I use water cooling to reach that speed.

Please explain to me why you want to OC you phone 40% of rated speed.
If you really are getting 1400 I think it's just a matter of time before you phone will fail.
cause i get phones very cheap or usually free, exact reason i told gten to pm me if he has any issues getting this bricked epic replaced.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:42 AM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374
I also have been OCing my PC's for over 10 years. Though my current rig is stock right now as I have no reason to oc it.

So I'm going to ask the question in a different way.

Do you guys see any benefit from oc'ing your phones, or is it just to see what it can do?

Sent from my Epic 4G running the midNIGHT rom via Tapatalk

Remember to clickon those who help! It's right down there.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 AM
ACSyndicate.net
Pocket PC: Epic

flyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Skype™ to flyers2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
its been safe oc'd for me, im @ 1400 now. lol
LOL...yes you were late on the text...but I had been already running it for a day....and all was fine...but I went to change kernels and that's when it hit me...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane6374 View Post
I also have been OCing my PC's for over 10 years. Though my current rig is stock right now as I have no reason to oc it.

So I'm going to ask the question in a different way.

Do you guys see any benefit from oc'ing your phones, or is it just to see what it can do?

Sent from my Epic 4G running the midNIGHT rom via Tapatalk
I am going to vote for the just to see what it can do...I do see some speed increases...but nothing that is mind blowing...well I should say when gaming is when i really notice a difference...but i do not game a ton...

And just for the record...Vision kernel is a great kernel....shit happens when you push things to their limits...thomasskull is not at fault and I do not blame him at all...I know the risks...
Old 04-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Wolf dog master, Chef
Pocket PC: Vogue,Diamond,TP2,Epic

Timberwolf671 can't get a higher reputation levelTimberwolf671 can't get a higher reputation levelTimberwolf671 can't get a higher reputation levelTimberwolf671 can't get a higher reputation levelTimberwolf671 can't get a higher reputation levelTimberwolf671 can't get a higher reputation levelTimberwolf671 can't get a higher reputation levelTimberwolf671 can't get a higher reputation levelTimberwolf671 can't get a higher reputation levelTimberwolf671 can't get a higher reputation levelTimberwolf671 can't get a higher reputation level

Well I must say this was one of the best commented on postings that I have seen in the section for months. And I agree with everyones point of view.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:58 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers2114 View Post
I am going to vote for the just to see what it can do...I do see some speed increases...but nothing that is mind blowing...well I should say when gaming is when i really notice a difference...but i do not game a ton...

And just for the record...Vision kernel is a great kernel....shit happens when you push things to their limits...thomasskull is not at fault and I do not blame him at all...I know the risks...
I dont bother overclocking and prefer UV..once more dual core based games come out we may wish to overclock to keep up but realistically you can just quickly overclock when playing the game..no reason to keep constant OC..but thats just from my personal perspective..UV on the other hand benefit you all the time..plus once we get the Gingerbread Hummingbird optimizations you'll see way better performance increases..or once CM7 comes out.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:09 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

honestly i only oc to see how far i can push epic but i do have limits.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:18 AM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

I guess since I have TEP bricking my phone isn't a huge concern, but still, the 1200 that the kernels do at stock voltage seems to be fine.

The ACS kernel sounds like it will be very nice with the UV once this whole mess gets figured out. There are a lot of great minds working on it so I'm sure they will get something very nice.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:59 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

One month later I am finally getting my drug Epic back on Tuesday! ..

been so busy with work that didn't even have time to leave the house

Still have some work to finish but now I can finally load up that month worth of Amazon free apps I got for no reason at all..lol

Last edited by gTen; 05-27-2011 at 06:03 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G