PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: Sprint

Biggnaa20 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Biggnaa20 Send a message via Skype™ to Biggnaa20
Epic: FROYO Security Time out change

Hello!

I have recently bought the Samsung Epic and updated to the Officially Unofficial Froyo 2.2.1 DK28 build that leaked out a while back.

Everything works well enough for me, but I noticed that the security lock necessitated by my exchange server locked in and forces a passcode. This is good, and I want the passcode on the device. However, I can't seem to change the time for the lock out, and it forces me to type in the passcode every time I turn the screen on.

I would like to change this to 10 minutes (like I had with my Evo, Palm Pre and Blackberry). I thought this setting would be in Home/setting/Location and Security/Change Screen Lock.

Is this a known issue with this build? is there a work around outside of deleting exchange?

Thanks so much! I appreciate any help, and I'm sorry if I missed this in my search (or if it's really simple and I missed it in options.)

Naa

Ps: It's good to be back here.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo750,HTC Touch PRO, DIAMOND, Palm Pre, Epic 4G
Carrier: AT&T and SPRINT

youngblack is keeping up the good workyoungblack is keeping up the good work
Wink Re: Epic: FROYO Security Time out change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggnaa20 View Post
Hello!

I have recently bought the Samsung Epic and updated to the Officially Unofficial Froyo 2.2.1 DK28 build that leaked out a while back.

Everything works well enough for me, but I noticed that the security lock necessitated by my exchange server locked in and forces a passcode. This is good, and I want the passcode on the device. However, I can't seem to change the time for the lock out, and it forces me to type in the passcode every time I turn the screen on.

I would like to change this to 10 minutes (like I had with my Evo, Palm Pre and Blackberry). I thought this setting would be in Home/setting/Location and Security/Change Screen Lock.

Is this a known issue with this build? is there a work around outside of deleting exchange?

Thanks so much! I appreciate any help, and I'm sorry if I missed this in my search (or if it's really simple and I missed it in options.)

Naa

Ps: It's good to be back here.
Welcome to this side of the forum... if you're on the dk28 2.2.1 rom like I am... it's settings > display > screen timeout... that's where you set the timeout for screen to 10mins... there's also a keyboard timeout, just back tap it once the back button then go to the next one.

{if I helped.. you can thank me}
Old 12-15-2010, 11:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Epic: FROYO Security Time out change

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblack View Post
Welcome to this side of the forum... if you're on the dk28 2.2.1 rom like I am... it's settings > display > screen timeout... that's where you set the timeout for screen to 10mins... there's also a keyboard timeout, just back tap it once the back button then go to the next one.

{if I helped.. you can thank me}
Thanks for responding, but unfortunately this isn't the answer I need.

The screen timeout keeps the whole device on for 10 minutes and will most assuredly quickly kill my poor battery.

What I need is the ability to turn the screen off and then back on again without having to input the lock code (necessitated by my exchange server again). I know that if I wait 10 minutes before turning the screen back on, I'll have to input the lock code, but doing it every time i turn the device on is kind of frustrating. This way I can use the phone while it is on my person without having the input the 6 digit code, but it will still be locked if I leave in on my desk during a meeting.

I know the 2.2 on the Evo had this ability. I hope it didn't get taken out with 2.2.1

Any thoughts?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Thanks for responding, but unfortunately this isn't the answer I need.

The screen timeout keeps the whole device on for 10 minutes and will most assuredly quickly kill my poor battery.

What I need is the ability to turn the screen off and then back on again without having to input the lock code (necessitated by my exchange server again). I know that if I wait 10 minutes before turning the screen back on, I'll have to input the lock code, but doing it every time i turn the device on is kind of frustrating. This way I can use the phone while it is on my person without having the input the 6 digit code, but it will still be locked if I leave in on my desk during a meeting.

I know the 2.2 on the Evo had this ability. I hope it didn't get taken out with 2.2.1

Any thoughts?
Google is your friend... Did you check out this thread Screen lock w/Exchange server - Android Forums
to see if this helps?
I think you may have to search Quick Settings or LockPicker in the Market. The add on might do the job as it comes pretty standard in HTC devices.

Just out of curiosity... if you don't mind me asking... What make you ditch the Evo over the Epic?

Last edited by youngblack; 12-15-2010 at 12:06 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Google is your friend... Did you check out this thread Screen lock w/Exchange server - Android Forums
to see if this helps?
I think you may have to search Quick Settings or LockPicker in the Market. The add on might do the job as it comes pretty standard in HTC devices.

Just out of curiosity... if you don't mind me asking... What make you ditch the Evo over the Epic?
Yeah, I googled in addition to seaching in XDA, AndroidCentral and here, but no luck.

I'd looked at Lockpicker, but it states that it is for HTC Sense and will not work on Froyo, so I didn't install it.

I just downloaded Quick settings, but it looks like it deals with Brightness, ringer, volume, bluetooth, Wifi, GPS, volume Autosync auto rotation and Mobile Data, but no dice with the addition of time for the screen. The Screen time out portion only gets me to the same screen I saw before.

From the link you sent, I saw that Touchdown will provide a work around, and it has, but I still can't set a time delayed pass code (which would be preferred). Maybe it's a limitation of this version of Froyo, but I welcome any additional ideas.

Thanks for your help.

Re: My Evo:

Mainly, I didn't like the lack of a hard keyboard. In addition, I was coming from Palm Pre and loved the way that WebOS was planned out. If only Palm's execution was half as good. Palm got the task maintenance right (cards as a metaphor is awesome), but failed on hardware and software management, and thus, the damn thing was frustratingly laggy without overclocking.

I didn't like the Evo. As was evident by the fact that I would use my long in the tooth Palm Pre at home on wifi...even with the Evo sitting on the desk next to it.

For some reason I like the Epic better...but I wouldn't have bought it if the Froyo build that dropped as "official" hadn't come out a week or so ago. Now that Sprint pulled it back I am leery again, but I don't mind flashing 2.2.1 on there.

I just hope someone can get a working gingerbread rom going soon for the Epic.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Yeah, I googled in addition to seaching in XDA, AndroidCentral and here, but no luck.

I'd looked at Lockpicker, but it states that it is for HTC Sense and will not work on Froyo, so I didn't install it.

I just downloaded Quick settings, but it looks like it deals with Brightness, ringer, volume, bluetooth, Wifi, GPS, volume Autosync auto rotation and Mobile Data, but no dice with the addition of time for the screen. The Screen time out portion only gets me to the same screen I saw before.

From the link you sent, I saw that Touchdown will provide a work around, and it has, but I still can't set a time delayed pass code (which would be preferred). Maybe it's a limitation of this version of Froyo, but I welcome any additional ideas.

Thanks for your help.

Re: My Evo:

Mainly, I didn't like the lack of a hard keyboard. In addition, I was coming from Palm Pre and loved the way that WebOS was planned out. If only Palm's execution was half as good. Palm got the task maintenance right (cards as a metaphor is awesome), but failed on hardware and software management, and thus, the damn thing was frustratingly laggy without overclocking.

I didn't like the Evo. As was evident by the fact that I would use my long in the tooth Palm Pre at home on wifi...even with the Evo sitting on the desk next to it.

For some reason I like the Epic better...but I wouldn't have bought it if the Froyo build that dropped as "official" hadn't come out a week or so ago. Now that Sprint pulled it back I am leery again, but I don't mind flashing 2.2.1 on there.

I just hope someone can get a working gingerbread rom going soon for the Epic.
That's irony... I wonder how many others like me are out there... I too once had the palm pre. And for the same reason as you did I jumped on the Android bandwagon... I kind of started out using the pre more just as you did than using the epic. I bought the epic because I thought it wouldn't hurt to upgrade now when I'll always eligible for a full upgrade yearly as a premier customer. Last I checked when Palm fired a Ceo and hired a new one and scandals still exist...then they released palm pre 2, I knew for sure that there isn't going to be another Palm phone anytime soon... Because of what's been going on lately I didn't want to own another product made by hp. Imo, HP's reputations demolished Palms image... If I recall Palm pre back in the first half Jon Roberstien said there was web 2.0 to be expected... Everyone is waiting for adobe flash as promised in webos 2.0 ...but never did it occurred to me that we have to purchase new hardware to get flash... Imo I think they've been playing with us all year long. We had enough of their games and if that's wasn't enough... Why did nearly every carrier rejected the palm pre 2? Kind of irony, right? Anyway I was saddened by this news because I waited so long to hear something good. So Palm pre 2 was released first as a dev phone first before being made available for sale on hp's website... I didn't buy it because the hardware is very similiar to the original over-clocked but outdated original palm pre which I had... Anyway, I listened to what Rahul Sood said before after he got irked about not getting new hardware anytime soon. And well... it appears that he was right. So far right now rumored has it that Palm maybe releasing a webos tablet in the first half of next year...
I might buy it then as long as it doesn't require that I repurchase all the paid apps that I got from the palm pre app store.

I never bought the htc evo but I was sold to the epic at a sprint store when I did a comparison side by side. Meanwhile I just stopped using the pre. Even though I didn't want to but if you're like me I couldn't stand waiting for it at boot time whenever the battery died when I have the epic next to it booted fully at just less than a fraction of the time. I guess I kind of got accustomed to the quickness of the Epic. There's hardly any lag at all when it's clocked at 1ghz at default when compared to the palm pre which is clocked at 600mhz at default. Both of these phones I managed to stuff a bunch of apps like crazy and still get about the same lag on both when the pre's overclocked at 1ghz.

Back on the subject: you can try "no lock" as a temporary solution it basically sets a widget which you can unlocked from your home screen. When you're leaving your phone unattended, put it back on lock.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk while your mom was putting her clothes on.

Last edited by youngblack; 12-15-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
That's irony... I wonder how many others like me are out there... I too once had the palm pre. And for the same reason as you did I jumped on the Android bandwagon... I kind of started out using the pre more just as you did than using the epic. I bought the epic because I thought it wouldn't hurt to upgrade now when I'll always eligible for a full upgrade yearly as a premier customer. Last I checked when Palm fired a Ceo and hired a new one and scandals still exist...then they released palm pre 2, I knew for sure that there isn't going to be another Palm phone anytime soon... Because of what's been going on lately I didn't want to own another product made by hp. Imo, HP's reputations demolished Palms image... If I recall Palm pre back in the first half Jon Roberstien said there was web 2.0 to be expected... Everyone is waiting for adobe flash as promised in webos 2.0 ...but never did it occurred to me that we have to purchase new hardware to get flash... Imo I think they've been playing with us all year long. We had enough of their games and if that's wasn't enough... Why did nearly every carrier rejected the palm pre 2? Kind of irony, right? Anyway I was saddened by this news because I waited so long to hear something good. So Palm pre 2 was released first as a dev phone first before being made available for sale on hp's website... I didn't buy it because the hardware is very similiar to the original over-clocked but outdated original palm pre which I had... Anyway, I listened to what Rahul Sood said before after he got irked about not getting new hardware anytime soon. And well... it appears that he was right. So far right now rumored has it that Palm maybe releasing a webos tablet in the first half of next year...
I might buy it then as long as it doesn't require that I repurchase all the paid apps that I got from the palm pre app store.

I never bought the htc evo but I was sold to the epic at a sprint store when I did a comparison side by side. Meanwhile I just stopped using the pre. Even though I didn't want to but if you're like me I couldn't stand waiting for it at boot time whenever the battery died when I have the epic next to it booted fully at just less than a fraction of the time. I guess I kind of got accustomed to the quickness of the Epic. There's hardly any lag at all when it's clocked at 1ghz at default when compared to the palm pre which is clocked at 600mhz at default. Both of these phones I managed to stuff a bunch of apps like crazy and still get about the same lag on both when the pre's overclocked at 1ghz.

Back on the subject: you can try "no lock" as a temporary solution it basically sets a widget which you can unlocked from your home screen. When you're leaving your phone unattended, put it back on lock.

Unfortunately for Palm, they still have the same CEO (Rubenstein). He has been left in charge of the semi autonomous division of Palm inside of HP. Mark Hurd was the fellow who was let go by HP.

I do miss the ease of webOS and will probably really miss having Preware and webOS Quick Install. It was really easy to mod the device. But yeah. Palm let themselves get passed by. Kinda sad since I really like the phone when it worked.

On top of having better apps and hardware, then thing that sold me on the Epic was actually having a real honest to goodness usable camera on the thing. The Pre camera was ok when it first came out, but all of the updates made it almost unusable. I am hoping they can pull it out. but I don't have much hope. I think Palm needs new leadership.

Thanks for telling me about no lock. I'd seen it before, but since it said it wouldn't work with my forced exchange security, I didn't try it. Now that I am using a third party program, it might come in handy.

Thanks,
nnb
Old 12-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Unfortunately for Palm, they still have the same CEO (Rubenstein). He has been left in charge of the semi autonomous division of Palm inside of HP. Mark Hurd was the fellow who was let go by HP.

I do miss the ease of webOS and will probably really miss having Preware and webOS Quick Install. It was really easy to mod the device. But yeah. Palm let themselves get passed by. Kinda sad since I really like the phone when it worked.

On top of having better apps and hardware, then thing that sold me on the Epic was actually having a real honest to goodness usable camera on the thing. The Pre camera was ok when it first came out, but all of the updates made it almost unusable. I am hoping they can pull it out. but I don't have much hope. I think Palm needs new leadership.

Thanks for telling me about no lock. I'd seen it before, but since it said it wouldn't work with my forced exchange security, I didn't try it. Now that I am using a third party program, it might come in handy.

Thanks,
nnb
I'm trying out an app called TASKER from the market... a pretty good tool for the android it lets your set up task schedules and commands...

I even got it to work with insta mapper which allows me to conduct convert tracking on the phone itself if I happen got my phone lost or stolen... I configure it to listen for text message "GO PREY" tasker receives it and turns on GPS > Load GPS Tracker app > and then password locked it. I was blown away after my testing it works.

I think by sharing it with you.. about Tasker, this app has other abilities too... and may be another way around this "security time out change issue" if you configure the display settings within the app or something... looking into it right now.. will report my findings later.

Last edited by youngblack; 12-16-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Hey Youngblack,

Did you ever figure out if Tasker can fix the security timeout issue? If so, I think I'll purchase it today.

nnb
Old 12-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Before you purchase the app I wanted to say thank you for reminding me about this thread.
No, I haven't had any success lately with Tasker regarding security timeout issues or maybe I just don't know how to do it myself. BUT there's so many features this app is capable of that I don't know about yet.

Since I can't answer to this I'll just say pm me.

Last edited by youngblack; 12-27-2010 at 03:02 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G