PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 06:52 PM
VIP MVP
Pocket PC: TP Dos/OG Epic/Touch
Carrier: Sprint

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gten and all the EPIC 4g owners

Everyone on here that owns an epic please reply back. I currently own a sprint tp2 and would like to upgrade to the epic

Is the epic all the it is hyped up to be?
How is the epic compared to TP2 is it that much better?
Has anyone have problems with it that they had to return it atleast once?
Anyone that owned an epic did you return it and go to a different instead?
Is there any problems with the phone like certain things that are not working?
Do you recommend me buying this phone?
Should i wait better for another phone that is going to be released soon instead. if so which one?
Anyone regreat buying this phone?
etc........

Im planning on buying this phone today and would like to know little bit more about it than whats on the sprint website like actual details from people using it.

Thanks for anyone that responds back.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:11 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Gten and all the EPIC 4g owners

There are a few things here and there as all phones..but before anything..what do you use your phone for? (based on this I can answer your questions better)

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 11-13-2010, 07:16 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

masetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuffmasetas knows their stuff

I use my phone for work and personal
I use it to send/receive emails. Take pix/videos. use adobe reader to open attachments from work (which is a must)
make many calls
here and there play some games on it
send receive sms, mms
pretty much for everything a Sprint tp2 can be used for
i gotta have a reliable phone
Old 11-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

siptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I'll put it in simple terms.

Yes, it is.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:32 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
I use my phone for work and personal
I use it to send/receive emails.
To note, Epic does not have Kies support so you would have to use an alternative for outlook sync. It does support exchange though but I dont know if its direct push, I *think* it just IMAP Idle Push.(There are clients which support direct push though)

Quote:
Take pix/videos. use adobe reader to open attachments from work (which is a must)
IT does this very well..probably the best on any phone..when reading small text you may want to zoom in depending on how you feel about the pentile matrix.

Quote:
make many calls
You can hold it any way you want (pun intended)

Quote:
here and there play some games on it
Its got the best GPU out in the market(yes even better then the iphone one)...so yes definitely...

Quote:
send receive sms, mms
Yes, you may want to download Hancent SMS..its a popular sms client..default one is good too just Handcent is better.

Quote:
pretty much for everything a Sprint tp2 can be used for
It has a lot of functionality...only limitations atm are compared to the others:
Sprint locked FM (yeah no surprise)
Sprint locked 3.5mm video out (someone is working to get this going)
HDMI out is not supported yet (same here)
No Kies support

Quote:
i gotta have a reliable phone
I'll tell you this..I'm still running stock...only thing I got is root and clockwork recovery..otherwise Stock, it is probably the most stable stock you've ever seen on any phone.. Right now I just got the Froyo beta which also is fairly stable minus some little kinks (it is a beta though)

Only thing you may definitely want to do is regulate battery usage as some apps just activate 3g and drain away...if you got that under control battery life is not bad.

After using the Epic, it makes me not want to touch my TP2 much anymore
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:57 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I second almost everything gTen said, with one exception. While I was running the Baked Snack custom ROM I got much better battery life than stock. I am currently using the Experience ROM but I am probably going to go back to the Baked Snack just for the battery life. It does give me the occasional forced close, but nothing that really slows me down.

I had an TP2 as well and the difference is instantly noticeable. Aside from the obvious (larger SAMOLED screen), this phone is FAST. The 1Ghz Hummingbird processor is amazing, and the chefs have it up to 1.6Ghz (2.0 Ghz in in the works).

Android takes a little getting used to coming from WinMo, but it is a far superior OS, and it won't take you more than a couple of hours to figure that out. I was really impressed at how easy it was to figure everything out. And its even better if your learning on a blazing fast handset like the Epic.

I don't live in a 4G area, but it seems to me that even the 3G is faster on the Epic, probably just a by product of the blazing fast processor. Internet, texting, and streaming video (YouTube) is much more enjoyable than it was on the TP2.

I agree that the lack of real Outlook support may be an issue for some, but I just switched over to my Gmail account and let me tell you that it syncs with Gmail flawlessly.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:11 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

For email i use Gmail and also hotmail so i think im good with that.
When im in Gmail can i download attachments from there or just preview them
Ive heard battery life sucks on this but hopefully 2.2 will change this a bit
How is the multitasking capabability?
What is one thing this phone cant do that you could do on the tp2
Old 11-13-2010, 08:31 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
How is the multitasking capabability?
Trust me its not an issue..Ive never had it lag out once...and Ive had multiple games open with 3d and stuff...

Quote:
What is one thing this phone cant do that you could do on the tp2
Umm..at the moment..video out..but has DLNA..otherwise it can pretty much do everything and more..some things just require looking for the right app..remember unlike winmo..android is open source...and that means anyone can edit the OS and modify it...so there are a lot more possibility for customization.

In the 2.2 beta I'm using now even flash 10.1 works not too bad.

oh it cant do the tilting thing too lol

It also has all the benefits/negatives of AMOLED/Super AMOLED

Last edited by gTen; 11-13-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:47 PM
VIP MVP
Threadstarter

what are the benefits/negatives of Amoled/Super Amoled

I am asking all these questions because im pretty much good with the tp2 it does everything i need it to do Epic is more of a want than a need. GPS works deadon which when im using gps its a must that it is deadon location.

I know that epic is faster, screen is more amazing, and android has alot of cool apps that winmo doesnt

Bottomline if i get the Epic and letgo of my tp2 will i regreat it?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

LucJoe is just getting started

I upgraded from a TP2 just last week.

It is absolutely the best upgrade in a phone I have ever had, by far.

The S-AMOLED screen is beautiful and everything is perfectly snappy. Going from resistive -> capacitive touchscreen is like night and day. The experience so far has been absolutely flawless, I literally can't complain about ANYTHING, and this is the first time I've been able to say that about a new phone.

The TP2 is still in service (on Boost now) and I'm running the newest Android build on it. While it is a great upgrade from the horrible days of WinMo, it's still nowhere near the same phone experience I have on my Epic.

There is only one thing I miss about the TP2 -- the keyboard. The Epic keyboard is just fine and gets the job done (I rarely even use it, swype ftw!, but for long emails it's a godsend). But the TP2 has probably the best smartphone keyboard ever.

My $.02
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G