PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Grateful Dave is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Synching Epic and Outlook, Hotspot,

Hi!

I have to make a decision. I lost my MIFI 2200 and would like to upgrade my Touch Pro. I have read as much as i can. The Epic looks incredible. I have two questions:

1. It seems like there is no way to synch Outlook e-mail, calender, and tasks over the wireless like I can with my WM 6.1 Touch Pro. Is that true? I really need to synch e-mail and calender while I am on the road. Synching notes and tasks through the USB would be acceptable. I would connect through an exchange server. What is my best choice if any?

2. The Hotspot. Does it work while I use the phone? Will it work when roaming?

Sprint, as usual, was worthless on these questions.

Thank you for any help. I really need to get a hot spot and phone quick. (Touch pro fell in water and sound is "piss" poor). I can save money by having the Epic if it can take care of cellular and hotspot needs without buying a new separate hotspot. Of course the media stuff is incredible looking.

David

Last edited by Grateful Dave; 09-22-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Synching Epic and Outlook, Hotspot,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
Hi!

1. It seems like there is no way to synch Outlook e-mail, calender, and tasks over the wireless like I can with my WM 6.1 Touch Pro. Is that true? I really need to synch e-mail and calender while I am on the road. Synching notes and tasks through the USB would be acceptable. I would connect through an exchange server. What is my best choice if any?
Home | syncdroid.net - because Androids need a good Outlook sync

Quote:
2. The Hotspot. Does it work while I use the phone? Will it work when roaming?
They have a Hotspot app but that requires 30$ a month...if you root there is a WIFI tether app available..the only limitation of it is it uses Ad-HOC and can't take full advantage of 4g (aka 3g and 4g are same speed)..there is work going on porting the none paying MobileAP going on though. It should work while roaming BUT remember roaming is 1x, not 3g (this is for all phones)

Quote:
Sprint, as usual, was worthless on these questions.
Thats what they get paid to do

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

hotspot is sweet but not 30$ sweet, i got it free for 3mnths and works on roaming(1x) and you can use device. if ya got 30 extra bux buy it for a mnth to see how good it is.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thank you gten and Darren.wisn1. I looked at that chart on syncdroid (actually reviewed it before posting) and it seems like there is no product that sync's Outlook e-mail, calender, etc over the wireless using an exchange server. One, Gsyncit, goes through Google. It seems to have a lot pf problems. I think you first push it to google from you PC and then sync it on you phone. What if you are awy from your computer? Its a mobile phone. Yuk. Am I stuck with Windows Mobile? Thanks!

David
Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

revaaron is keeping up the good workrevaaron is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

wait, how does android not sync? I typed in my exchange info and I get all my emails, appointments, and contacts from work on my phone and all changes are reflected back on each other.

Also what is this $30/mo tethering thing? I thought part of the $10/mo "non-4g 4g charge" was for wifi hotspot too? that's what the TV commercials say.

my bill went from $55/mo with a tp2 to what was suppose to be $96/mo, but my first epic bill was $109! I need to call and possibly return the epic before 30 days is up.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:20 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
Thank you gten and Darren.wisn1. I looked at that chart on syncdroid (actually reviewed it before posting) and it seems like there is no product that sync's Outlook e-mail, calender, etc over the wireless using an exchange server. One, Gsyncit, goes through Google. It seems to have a lot pf problems. I think you first push it to google from you PC and then sync it on you phone. What if you are awy from your computer? Its a mobile phone. Yuk. Am I stuck with Windows Mobile? Thanks!

David
Oh, the chart is for outlook sync...exchange sync is in there natively. Exchange != Outlook...
Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Almost a VIP

could you please explain the difference?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:46 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by revaaron View Post
could you please explain the difference?
Well for one...

outlook = client
exchange = server

Though since outlook and exchange are both made by M$ you can expect cross compatibility..but Exchange is not Outlook.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Well for one...

outlook = client
exchange = server

Though since outlook and exchange are both made by M$ you can expect cross compatibility..but Exchange is not Outlook.
Thanks for the explanation. Then I will revise my question, how can the Epic sync with M$ exchange server? According to revaaron he is able to sync with the MS exchange server with no problem (though maybe ripped off by sprint). Am I worrying for no reason? I am getting mixed messages from what I am reading such as the syncdroid's explanation.
'
David

Last edited by Grateful Dave; 09-22-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Almost a VIP

I type in my exchange info and everything is there, contacts, calendar, and push emails. People still use outlook as just a client? I only touch outlook cause it's linked to my exchange account at my work.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G