PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 09:58 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

bondosho is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: so far epic gps sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudtp2 View Post
whats up.. first, no this isnt a rant!! i was just posting cuz since i got the phone yesterday at 12pm. i do work in a large building with huge garage doors. i constanly go outside with clear views of the sky. neither google maps or sprint nav will give me my location they will both tell me, location unavailable signals. i did turn on the gps for the down menu and turn on gps satellites.
i didnt turn on use wireless networks since i thought u had to have wifi turned on for that.
nvw, all day at work it either didnt work or show me i was like 3 miles away. on the way home same thing, when i got home same thing.
today i kept the same settings. i was able to get a lock after work, and kept it pritty good as i was driving home.
CzechPleez -- thx for the tips i have now turned those on. we will see tomarrow how good it works, my tp2 worked very good and i love to have gps working flawlessly on this device, since i use it alot. ill use google maps and sprint nav to navigate me to work and back. hopefully it works good.
Click Menu-->Settings-->Location and Security. Click on "Use Wireless Networks". This is different than turning on WiFi. Once you do this, you won't have any issues. GPS finds me in about 1 second.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:01 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

It has been my experience that when someone starts a conversation with the words "I don't mean to be rude", that is exactly what they intend to do. Just like the phrase "with all due respect" is inevitably followed by something disrespectful.

gTen, I was about to say exactly what you just posted (about how the GPS receives the signal from the satellites). The point I think you were trying to make - and that bnl552 completely missed - is that cell phones use Assited GPS technology which uses a combination of satellite and cell tower triangulation to get your position. The satellite receivers in most cell phones are inferior to a stand alone GPS like those made by Garmin or TomTom, therefore they need the cell tower assistance to get the best signal.

Of course, these phones are capable of getting a purely satellite-based lock on your location, but it will take longer. The AGPS system relies on the additional data from the cell tower triangulation to get the best and fastest lock.

Last edited by Johnny.Bravo; 09-07-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:49 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Used Sprint Navigation for the first time today. When I turned it on it notified me that I needed to enable my GPS (I keep it off to save battery life), so I did and it got a lock on my position in about 3 seconds.

I would say that qualifies as the GPS in the Epic NOT sucking.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:01 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

compuw22c is just getting started

Also, anyone having issues, download the "GPS Status" app in the market, and double check that the COMPASS has a correct reading of north. In my experience (it may just be electromagnetic interference creating noise for the gps reciever) its almost as if the compass plays a role in its AGPS. In that app it shows you locks AND compass at the same time. If the compass is off, I only get 1-3 locks. As soon as I move it 3 inches away from my computer and the compass gets a good read, they light up like a Christmas tree (8-12 INDOORS)
Old 09-10-2010, 10:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

crazaytalent is keeping up the good workcrazaytalent is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfoster View Post
It has been my experience that when someone starts a conversation with the words "I don't mean to be rude", that is exactly what they intend to do. Just like the phrase "with all due respect" is inevitably followed by something disrespectful.
LMAO!!! thats classic... I think im going to "borrow" that and use it as my facebook status...lol

Also... i dont understand why it seems so many people are not or refusing to use the wireless network/asissted gps feature... Is sprint charging u extra or something? It just seems a non issue... just use it, in conjunction w/ you gps and you'll get accurate locks, fast!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

i had to use the gps this past weekend in pittsburgh & was surprised by the accuracy considering all the issues folks have especially considering how effin confusing the pittsburgh roads can be to us that visit once or twice a year.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: idk
Carrier: earth

iphoney4u is just getting started

Eff gps! Look at the beautiful samoled screen!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Hero

dan330 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphoney4u View Post
Eff gps! Look at the beautiful samoled screen!

nice..

eff if she is stupid... look at her pretty face!

really???

Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

sndtubes is becoming a great contributor
How's The GPS?

So I'm still trying to decide on a phone. Anyone have any thoughts about the GPS in the Epic? Especially would be interested in a comparison to the HTC Touch Pro II.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:51 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: How's The GPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
So I'm still trying to decide on a phone. Anyone have any thoughts about the GPS in the Epic? Especially would be interested in a comparison to the HTC Touch Pro II.
Some people are having perfectly fine GPS, others not..it depends on what area you are in I guess...Samsung promised an update soon..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G