PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 850
Carrier: Sprint

we350z is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to we350z Send a message via AIM to we350z Send a message via MSN to we350z Send a message via Yahoo to we350z Send a message via Skype™ to we350z
data only plans with google voice

I heard this might be a possibility soon, and interesting move by G. One of the carriers may see it as an opportunity to gain subscribers form the others. But then will they all be forced to offer it to remain competitive?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

FalloutMan is just getting started
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en))

id do it if GVoice was proven to be as reliable as a normal smartphone with good call quality. DO you have source for this?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel Prepaid

Nosey is becoming a great contributor
Re: data only plans with google voice

the only problem with this is that gvoice is just a number router, until google opens gizmo back up you would have to find some other service for voip
Old 01-14-2010, 01:05 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

What will most likely happen, is Gizmo5 will become Google Voice. If that happens, I want to port my number over, and not worry about carrier. I just need an internet connection to receive/make calls/texts
Old 01-18-2010, 01:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: sprint

snowplow54 is keeping up the good worksnowplow54 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to snowplow54

Internet coverage may be the Achilles heel of this idea. I don't think even the best networks have a robust enough 3g network to make this a reliable option. Personally i like having my phone and internet separate.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:09 AM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I wonder how this would work?

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 01-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Vogue/Touch Pro/Touch Pro 2/HTC Evo 4G

champ052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchamp052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchamp052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchamp052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to champ052005

I wonder too. It sounds interesting, def something I would have to read up on. If it is 3G network dependent, then I know one thing, if you have att, then you might be in trouble. lol
Old 01-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel Prepaid

Nosey is becoming a great contributor

that's what's gonna be the catch, having a 3g connection at all times for it to work, a cell will work on pretty much no signal, I have had cell coverage and no data coverage before, that's the only thing that would scare me, I would lose my data coverage and then not have a phone

I've got a gizmo5 number, and I have tried a data call and it was worse then my worst cell connection, so things are gonna have to get better before it is a sole source for a phone
Old 01-19-2010, 10:03 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosey View Post
that's what's gonna be the catch, having a 3g connection at all times for it to work, a cell will work on pretty much no signal, I have had cell coverage and no data coverage before, that's the only thing that would scare me, I would lose my data coverage and then not have a phone

I've got a gizmo5 number, and I have tried a data call and it was worse then my worst cell connection, so things are gonna have to get better before it is a sole source for a phone
If you are in a place with wi-fi, than you are good to go. The places where this is going to be the biggest issue is on the highway, in some rural area. For most, this will not be an issue. I rarely leave my home market, where I have perfect signal at home and work, as well as the places to which I normally venture. If you travel all over the country by car, you may run into this more often than others.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: sprint

snowplow54 is keeping up the good worksnowplow54 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to snowplow54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokuzumi View Post
If you are in a place with wi-fi, than you are good to go. The places where this is going to be the biggest issue is on the highway, in some rural area. For most, this will not be an issue. I rarely leave my home market, where I have perfect signal at home and work, as well as the places to which I normally venture. If you travel all over the country by car, you may run into this more often than others.
I think thats the point, i would want my phone to work when i need it the most. if i dont have data along the highways, then I would be SOL if my car breaks down, or worse if im in an accident and need to call 911.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News