PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Smartphone News (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   data only plans with google voice (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106144)

we350z 01-13-2010 06:19 PM

data only plans with google voice

I heard this might be a possibility soon, and interesting move by G. One of the carriers may see it as an opportunity to gain subscribers form the others. But then will they all be forced to offer it to remain competitive?

FalloutMan 01-13-2010 07:51 PM

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en))

id do it if GVoice was proven to be as reliable as a normal smartphone with good call quality. DO you have source for this?

Nosey 01-13-2010 08:32 PM

Re: data only plans with google voice

the only problem with this is that gvoice is just a number router, until google opens gizmo back up you would have to find some other service for voip

tokuzumi 01-14-2010 01:05 AM

What will most likely happen, is Gizmo5 will become Google Voice. If that happens, I want to port my number over, and not worry about carrier. I just need an internet connection to receive/make calls/texts

snowplow54 01-18-2010 01:53 AM

Internet coverage may be the Achilles heel of this idea. I don't think even the best networks have a robust enough 3g network to make this a reliable option. Personally i like having my phone and internet separate.

GirlGoneGeek 01-18-2010 02:09 AM

I wonder how this would work?

champ052005 01-18-2010 05:10 PM

I wonder too. It sounds interesting, def something I would have to read up on. If it is 3G network dependent, then I know one thing, if you have att, then you might be in trouble. lol

Nosey 01-18-2010 06:12 PM

that's what's gonna be the catch, having a 3g connection at all times for it to work, a cell will work on pretty much no signal, I have had cell coverage and no data coverage before, that's the only thing that would scare me, I would lose my data coverage and then not have a phone

I've got a gizmo5 number, and I have tried a data call and it was worse then my worst cell connection, so things are gonna have to get better before it is a sole source for a phone

tokuzumi 01-19-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosey (Post 1499515)
that's what's gonna be the catch, having a 3g connection at all times for it to work, a cell will work on pretty much no signal, I have had cell coverage and no data coverage before, that's the only thing that would scare me, I would lose my data coverage and then not have a phone

I've got a gizmo5 number, and I have tried a data call and it was worse then my worst cell connection, so things are gonna have to get better before it is a sole source for a phone

If you are in a place with wi-fi, than you are good to go. The places where this is going to be the biggest issue is on the highway, in some rural area. For most, this will not be an issue. I rarely leave my home market, where I have perfect signal at home and work, as well as the places to which I normally venture. If you travel all over the country by car, you may run into this more often than others.

snowplow54 01-20-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokuzumi (Post 1501057)
If you are in a place with wi-fi, than you are good to go. The places where this is going to be the biggest issue is on the highway, in some rural area. For most, this will not be an issue. I rarely leave my home market, where I have perfect signal at home and work, as well as the places to which I normally venture. If you travel all over the country by car, you may run into this more often than others.

I think thats the point, i would want my phone to work when i need it the most. if i dont have data along the highways, then I would be SOL if my car breaks down, or worse if im in an accident and need to call 911.