PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 08:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung omnia i910
Carrier: verizon

winmofreak is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Upgrading Omnia to 6.5, need help!!!

i once tried to upgrade to 6.5 on my parents xp desktop, but something gave it a virus(they were pissed). can someone give me CLEAR instructions and a VIRUS FREE way to do it on my vista laptop( im currently locked out of the desktop, and if my laptop gets a virus, i wont see it again, and i need it for college). i would like to know what the latest build is( prefferably with m2d, opera, and .net 3.5). i have scoured the depths of the internet for the latest build, and it keeps running me in circles(cant find any links). i am using a samsung omnia I910 from verizon. i have heard there is not going to be an official ROM update for it(to 6.5, i mean), but if i am mistaken, please let me know.i have more questions, but i dont want to make this thread longer than it already is, so please help me out. also, i would like a rom that is the closest to the official 6.5(say, for the diamond2/ touch pro 2 , for example).

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

(by the way, im using the verizon cf03 rom at the moment)

Last edited by winmofreak; 10-08-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

Titanas is a n00b
Re: Upgrading Omnia to 6.5, need help!!!

Yesterday I flashed my Verizon Omnia for the first time to Adrynalyne's 3.0 Vanilla 6.5 ROM and it works flawlessly (except he made a mistake with a registry key, change 150 to 750. Make sure you follow these directions and you should be fine, check post #2 too.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thumbs up Re: Upgrading Omnia to 6.5, need help!!!

thanks, and ure absolutely sure this give my comp a virus? my parents would end my life( but even worse, i would lose my computer!!! lol)and if samsung does come out with an official 6.5 rom, will i be able to flash to that one once it comes out(which i heard wont happen, but just in case).

thanks for ur help.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

seanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good work

the virus thing was probably just a false positive. i've downloaded and flashed plenty of roms and not a single one had a virus.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

well whatever it was, it took up residence in my wifi network, and took me to random websites. but even if it is a false positive, how can i guarantee that it wont hurt my computer? i cant afford to have anything happen to it.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Question Re: Upgrading Omnia to 6.5, need help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanas View Post
Yesterday I flashed my Verizon Omnia for the first time to Adrynalyne's 3.0 Vanilla 6.5 ROM and it works flawlessly (except he made a mistake with a registry key, change 150 to 750. Make sure you follow these directions and you should be fine, check post #2 too.
i looked at the directions, but i dont understand them. i dont uderstand what a .bin is or where to find it. all the roms come in weird file types that i cant open without downloading some kind of converter. i really want to keep the downloads to a minimum. sorry if im being too demanding, but i just wanna get this right the first time. and do it without getting a virus. thats the most important thing. if anyone knows of an ABSOLUTELY SAFE AND GUARANTEED way of flashing, please please pleaes tell me, in detail of course.

thank u sooooo much
Ryan
Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia
Carrier: VZW

blackmeto is becoming a great contributor

roms have the .bin extension and they should just come in regular folders or .rar or .zip files
These are the instructions I followed:

"If this is the first time you’ll be flashing, you need to download the UMDL software (which will allow you to upload the ROM to the Omnia) and upgrade your phone to the CF03 ROM provided by Verizon.

"If you just got the phone new you already have the cfo3 rom"

Keep in mind that flashing a ROM will erase most things which aren’t on your storage card (programs, system settings, etc.) Follow these steps using a Windows XP box which has ActiveSync installed:

1. Set ActiveSync to “not allow USB connections” on your computer.

2. On the Omnia, go to Settings -> Connections -> USB Connection, and toggle “Mass Storage” as the USB function. Then turn your phone off (hold down the power button) and plug it into the computer.

3. Open the UMDL program you downloaded earlier.

4. Select PDA on the left column and search for the custom ROM you downloaded earlier.

5. Select “Detect” in the lower left part of the UMDL program, and then turn your phone on. Cross your fingers. A dialog box in the bottom left should say that a PDA device was detected. The ROM will automatically be uploaded to the phone, and upon finishing, the Omnia will restart. Don’t bother restoring your system preferences at this point.

6. Choose one of the third party ROMs available for the Samsung Omnia i910 (remember, i900 ROMs are not compatible with the i910).

7. Simply turn your Omnia off and connect it to the computer, download the ROM file, open up the UMDL software, click on “PDA” at the top left (instead of unified image loader as you did earlier), navigate to the ROM’s location, click on “Detect” on the bottom left, and turn the Omnia back on. Just as before, the ROM will automatically upload itself and the phone will restart upon completion.

8. Before reconfiguring your phone’s settings, go to Start -> Settings -> Personal -> Phone -> Services Tab -> Highlight GPS and click “Change Settings” -> Toggle “Location On”

9. Next, dial *228 and hit option 1. This will reprogram the phone. Then dial *228 again and hit option 2 to update the preferred roaming list.

10. Enjoy adding applications, themes, and whatever else you want."

taken from here

http://omniarom.com/forum/index.php?topic=486.0

register for an account there because that site is specifically for our phones so u can find everything and anything there

and any virus alerts u have are most likely false positives from your antivirus software.
Speaking of, I have been using AVGFREE since i found out about it and havent been hit since and it doesnt slow down my computer
Old 10-09-2009, 09:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: MP6900AL - Vogue
Carrier: Alltel

talk2nate is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to talk2nate

The directions above are the easiest to follow and the only correct way of flashing right now. BIN files are ROMs... but if you don't fully understand it all yet maybe you should do a little more research or posting before you try flashing. Flashing can brick your device if you don't know what your doing. Brick = no good junk it.

Ask more detailed questions if you need more help. Thats where most all of us started out at some way or another.

~ PPC6800 (Titan) ~ MP6900AL (Vogue) ~ PPC6850AL (Touch Pro) ~ Samsung Omnia i910
Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Smile Re: Upgrading Omnia to 6.5, need help!!!

Thank u so much!!!! I've done alot of research before thinking about doing this. I'm pretty confident I won't brick my omnia. now I just gotta find the right ROM. Do u know who's ROM is the closest to the final release of 6.5? I'm looking for one that hasn't been tweaked a whole lot by the cooker. Any suggestions? also, that "false positive" caused my comp to crash randomly, so ur ABSOLUTELY SURE its not a virus?

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited by winmofreak; 10-09-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia