PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910 Verizon
Carrier: Verizon

RGressick is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to RGressick Send a message via MSN to RGressick
will Samsung make Omnia ROM as 6.5 or 7?

I am just curcious is anyone knows anything about said topic. I would assume they would just say screw it and do it for the Omnia 2 but not for the Omnia even though our Omnia would greatly benefit from the advancement.

Don't get me wrong. The Kitchen cookups are nice but they are always seeming to lack stuff in them which is why i keep going back to the Samsung Verizon.
I mean, if i am wrong, please tell me and i will correct myself here on this.
But for a 6.5 or 7. I still need these Functions.
Opera browser or a nice usable browser like Opera, no that old IE
great camera functionality
Live Search Maps (i use an older one because the newer version don't seem to load maps quickly)
Picture Browser with Editing Software
MS Office with the Word, Excel, and PDF viewer, i do use the Viewer.
I like having the more precise battery driver, or closer to it.
My Visual Voicemail
my Mobile IM
I don't use Smart Reader but still would like to have it. I know it barely works right.
Windows Live for Email (and if there is anyone to crack it so i can have 2 hotmail accounts on my phone, i would LOVE that)
a WifiRouter built into hte Room that actually works flawlessly. I mean, WifiRouter, i keep having ot turn it on and off all the time and never getting it to work right half the time.
And at least the Internet Sharing stuff built in and setup and working.
MyPhone, yes definately
You can throw in Google Maps too, and if could already be setup for the GPS stuff, same with Live Maps.
I will need something for my Photos though,
The Smart converter leave in.
Want to get Remote Desktop to work and like tha tto stay
Maybe a nicer Media player, the touch player is ok but its too weird and slow for me.
I care less about VZ Nav.
The TXT message Retry. I need that to stay. Unless 6.5 / 7 have it built in where it auto retries for you and then you don't have to worry about it. Yes, Message Retry it annoying and it could work SOOO much better. So unless you have something that work even better and is all automattic where it won't annoy the hell out of me, then yes,
And maybe more games.

Now, i am trying to think of improvements of other Apps to add but off hand, i am not familiar with too many other apps. Yes, i use YouTube, Netflix, and MS Tag Reader on my phone but those are easy to install on my own. Not to mention the updates for Visual VM.
But i am always looking for a better keyboard that is more accurate, easy to type on and know what the hell i am typing and not screwing up. Because the Keyboard on he updates have a bug where if i type too fast in XT9, it will change the first letter of the word and screw things up.

I know this sounds like a complaining list but i want things to work better. I know this is Samsung's attempt at an iPhone and there are things that iPhone can do better. Omnia can do bluetooth things SOOO much better though. but iPhone has the apps.

I want something that is better and can make my life easier, especially since i am on hte road a lot.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: omnia
Carrier: telcel

hashi is a n00b
Re: will Samsung make Omnia ROM as 6.5 or 7?

it seems that samsung's gonna leave us aside, i mean, there's not gonna be an official upgrade for us (omnia). and, about the cooked roms, the only ones that still have lacks and issues, are the 23xxx builds, since 23xxx are leacks of a future 6.5.1 or 6.7 rom, if you get a good 21xxx, there isnt supposed to be or to have any problem...
Old 09-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

No, seeing as the Omnia is already a year and a half old already and released before the official announcement of 6.5, there is no reason for them to do so. Plus it's been superceded by the Omnia II so they are going to focus on it anyway. Same story with the Touch Pro by the way. Also WM7 is intended fof a new class of devices as I seem to remember reading, and by the time it's officially released (or even leaked) the Omnia II will have probably been replaced..

Last edited by nitrous9200; 09-07-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910 Verizon
Threadstarter

RGressick is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to RGressick Send a message via MSN to RGressick

*sniff sniff*
thats sad, isn't our Omnia's a NEW class of phone? Its to stylish and cool and makes you wanna sleep with it at night.
Yes, i do sleep with it, its my Alarm clock :P
Old 09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID

brandogg is keeping up the good workbrandogg is keeping up the good work

The Omnia isn't a year and a half old, at least not the Verizon i910 version, it's not even one year old. It was released 11/26/08.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandogg View Post
The Omnia isn't a year and a half old, at least not the Verizon i910 version, it's not even one year old. It was released 11/26/08.
It still won't get the update so does it really matter?

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 09-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID

brandogg is keeping up the good workbrandogg is keeping up the good work

No, but I just don't want any newcomers to read that this is a 2 year old phone and believe it. Surely there will be more "official-like" releases when WM6.5 ROMs are actually released for the Omnia 2, Touch Pro 2 (or is it Touch Pro HD?), etc., however. Who really cares anyway if WM6.5 or WM7 is officially released for any phone, other than warranty purposes? Cooked/custom ROMs are always better than the junk-filled official ROMs, anyway.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

I was talking about the i900, the first Omnia which this is based off of, so the original Omnia family is over a year old and heading off into obsolescence. As BW said the Omnia is just not getting the update.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: omnia
Carrier: telcel

hashi is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous9200 View Post
I was talking about the i900, the first Omnia which this is based off of, so the original Omnia family is over a year old and heading off into obsolescence. As BW said the Omnia is just not getting the update.
but it doesnt matter anyway, why? because, having such a great bunch of rom chefs, who would really care about an "official" upgrade, i mean, at first, some people said that the new windows my phone or windows mobile 6.5 gadgets would support "multitouch" now we know that isn't true and at the end, the only difference between the official upgrade and a cooked rom will be the name (cooked and official upgrade) ´cause gradually the cooked roms will become really stable...about the warranty, at least here in mexico, carriers dont care if you flash your device wether with an official or a cooked rom, the omnia still loses warranty...so...........well thats my point of view...
Old 09-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker

I never said it did; I've been using custom ROMs since about 3 weeks after I got my phone. Also multitouch can't be added with a software update if the hardware does not support at and AFAIK the only multitouch capable screens are capacitive. But now I think we can put the issue to rest since we have answered the original question.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia