PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: samsung i910
Carrier: verizon

ikediggety is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
sleep of death related to SMS?

so, like many others, i've experienced the "sleep of death" many times.

basically, the phone won't wake up without a soft reset, either by poking the hole or doing a battery pull.

i could never quite isolate it to any one thing. it's happened with both BW and adryn roms. it's happened with both 6.1 and 6.5, although it happens much more frequently with 6.5. it's happened much less frequently since reformatting My Storage, but it still happens.

well, last night i think i got it narrowed down. i was sitting in bed, getting ready to go to sleep. catching up on twitter using pocketwit. i exited pocketwit, put the phone to sleep, and went to go put it down on the table. before i could put it down, i got an SMS. went to wake the phone up - nothing. poked the hole and reset.

figured i'd put this out there in case anybody is actually working on this issue.

is anybody else who has the "sleep of death" still using the original smstrigger?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

cg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: sleep of death related to SMS?

which roms cause this problem? i have yet to be hit with it
Old 08-26-2009, 08:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: This IS the DROID you are looking for...
Carrier: Verizon

IamReady is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to IamReady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikediggety View Post

...is anybody else who has the "sleep of death" still using the original smstrigger?
I have had this happen a few times and am just using the stock sms "stuff".

I have made the jump to anDROID, and am pretty impressed so far... sorry MS.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Indredible

volsmcfalls is keeping up the good workvolsmcfalls is keeping up the good work

I've had this happen on both the stock ROM and some of Adrynalyne's. I honestly don't remember what I traced it back to, but I think it was g-alarm. That or it was the version of s2u2 I was using. On one of the versions I had a problem with one of the settings causing me not to be able to wake the screen. The phone itself would wake, but the screen would not. And it would happen when I received an SMS.

Have you toyed around with the phone to see if the phone itself is waking, just not the screen? I tested this by rolling my finger across the the optical mouse button. When it scrolls to a new icon, you will usually get the short vibrate, letting me know the phone itself was not locked, just the screen was off.

On a related note, I have removed g-alarm and updated s2u2 to a new version (and new settings) and am not having the problem anymore...
Old 08-26-2009, 10:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsmcfalls View Post
I've had this happen on both the stock ROM and some of Adrynalyne's. I honestly don't remember what I traced it back to, but I think it was g-alarm. That or it was the version of s2u2 I was using. On one of the versions I had a problem with one of the settings causing me not to be able to wake the screen. The phone itself would wake, but the screen would not. And it would happen when I received an SMS.

Have you toyed around with the phone to see if the phone itself is waking, just not the screen? I tested this by rolling my finger across the the optical mouse button. When it scrolls to a new icon, you will usually get the short vibrate, letting me know the phone itself was not locked, just the screen was off.

On a related note, I have removed g-alarm and updated s2u2 to a new version (and new settings) and am not having the problem anymore...
I do not have either of these installed and still have the issue. I will try your suggestion the next time it happens to me.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Indredible

volsmcfalls is keeping up the good workvolsmcfalls is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamReady View Post
I do not have either of these installed and still have the issue. I will try your suggestion the next time it happens to me.
Hmmm...

And your phone will not wake if you press the power button once? Are you receiving any error messages when you restart the phone? I was having another similar issue where I kept getting a "MITsMAN Callback Exception" error. But, it too was related to g-alarm.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III
Carrier: Sprint

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

I was having that issue a while back w/ Adryn's 6.5 but the problem ended up being Memmaid. Got rid of that and have never had the issue again, knock on wood...
Old 08-26-2009, 01:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsmcfalls View Post
Hmmm...

And your phone will not wake if you press the power button once? Are you receiving any error messages when you restart the phone? I was having another similar issue where I kept getting a "MITsMAN Callback Exception" error. But, it too was related to g-alarm.
It will not respond to anything when it does this and no errors upon reset. I agree . It has only happened a few times and only since going to a 230## ROM for me.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: samsung i910
Carrier: verizon
Threadstarter

ikediggety is a n00b

CG83: I don't know for sure. It's hit me with adryn vanilla 2 and 3, and BW night 1.2, which are the only custom roms i've ever flashed.

IAmReady: no, if you're running a custom rom, you've probably got the modified smstrigger. check and see.

volsmcfalls: i have neither g-alarm nor s2u installed... good idea about testing for haptic response, thanks. nope, no errors. just go to use the phone and it won't wake up.

fishingmedic: i don't have memmaid.

thanks for the feedback, everybody. the mystery deepens...
Old 08-27-2009, 08:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikediggety View Post

IAmReady: no, if you're running a custom rom, you've probably got the modified smstrigger. check and see.
How do I check?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia