PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

PJRed2008 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Omnia bricked itself?

My fairly new Omnia (flashed to CF03) has apparently committed suicide and is now a brick. Problems started yesterday afternoon with strange behavior with email, try to open a message in one account and it switched to another account. Then the small closure X in the upper right disappeared for awhile, apps started slowing down, etc.

Did a Cleartemp prior to what would have been a soft reset. Cleartemp took awhile, then reported it had “cleared” 245 MB (yea, thats megabytes). Screen was locked up at that point, so did a reset. Phone stopped at password screen and refused the correct password to continue. Repeated resets failed to get anywhere and I could not turn the phone off or do anything to get past the password screen.

Did a hard reset per the manual and got nowhere, the phone will not hard reset. Took the battery out, removed the microSD card and the card had been wiped of data. The 245MB of data reported by Cleartemp was the SD card.

So, battery is out and I’m leaving the phone sit for today, will try another hard reset when I get home. In theory, software cannot screw up a ROM, unless you’re flashing or something similar, but the phone appears to be bricked. This thing is getting to be way more trouble than its worth.

Not happy.

Last edited by PJRed2008; 08-13-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Omnia bricked itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJRed2008 View Post
My fairly new Omnia (flashed to CF03) has apparently committed suicide and is now a brick. Problems started yesterday afternoon with strange behavior with email, try to open a message in one account and it switched to another account. Then the small closure X in the upper right disappeared for awhile, apps started slowing down, etc.

Did a Cleartemp prior to what would have been a soft reset. Cleartemp took awhile, then reported it had “cleared” 245 MB (yea, thats megabytes). Screen was locked up at that point, so did a reset. Phone stopped at password screen and refused the correct password to continue. Repeated resets failed to get anywhere and I could not turn the phone off or do anything to get past the password screen.

Did a hard reset per the manual and got nowhere, the phone will not hard reset. Took the battery out, removed the microSD card and the card had been wiped of data. The 245MB of data reported by Cleartemp was the SD card.

So, batter is out and I’m leaving the phone sit for today, will try another hard reset when I get home. In theory, software cannot screw up a ROM, unless you’re flashing or something similar, but the phone appears to be bricked. This thing is getting to be way more trouble than its worth.

Not happy.
You can try to reflash to CF03 again as that usually fixes most problems, but in your case it sounds like you have hardware failure. I would take it into Verizon and get it switched out for a new one
Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

PJRed2008 is a n00b

Thought about the reflash, but the shape its in now, I doubt if I could get it to sync at all. It may be a case of infant mortality, maybe the chips in the ROM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: VZDUB

pasquale073 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to pasquale073

I'd still try to hard reset before flashing again. Try the alternate method by pressing the reset button then hold down the end and send keys until format displays on the screen.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia 910

jazaddict is just getting started

Quote:
The 245MB of data reported by Cleartemp was the SD card.

Ouch!....
Ur scarin me mang....
Old 08-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

PJRed2008 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasquale073 View Post
I'd still try to hard reset before flashing again. Try the alternate method by pressing the reset button then hold down the end and send keys until format displays on the screen.
Tried that numerous times. Phone continued to boot and always stopped at the password screen, and that was it. That would indicate hardware failure to me. I can still put in a password, but it sits there for a few seconds, then clears the value I put in and just waits. My name, the date and correct time still show at the top of the screen, the Menu and Unlock buttons work, but nothing is getting me past that screen.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

It's back to the Verizon store for you, then, my son
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia