PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia I910
Carrier: Big Red V

GriffinSOAR is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best way to lock your phone.

What is the best application or cab out there that will lock the phone down so that if someone picked it up they would have to use a password to go anywhere. One maybe that not even a soft reset would turn off. Work phone and want to be able to secure my files and emails.
Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
Griffin
Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Re: Best way to lock your phone.

Well, I'm using the standard lock that came with 6.1. It will do what you asked for. Every time I soft reset it asks for a password and I have it set to ask for a password if it is left unattended for an hour. Seems to work fine for me. No need to add something that might be incompatible or slows things down. IMO
Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung i910
Carrier: Verizon

xPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffinSOAR View Post
What is the best application or cab out there that will lock the phone down so that if someone picked it up they would have to use a password to go anywhere. One maybe that not even a soft reset would turn off. Work phone and want to be able to secure my files and emails.
Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
Griffin
Your best bet is the security built into Exchange. You do use Exchange at work? It can remotely wipe the phone of all sensitive data if lost or stolen.

The locks I'm aware of only use a pin code to secure the phone/data. If whomever gets the phone doesn't care about the data on the phone they can always hard reset.

So. I guess we need somebody to develop a remote bricking app. Soon.

Ted

Melancholia by Verizon SCH-i910
Adryn CF03 V2.0 8GB/16GB µSDHC
WM 6.5 Pro CE OS 5.2.23008 (23008.5.3.0)

Another Proud Member of FA. Time since last relapse: < One Day (at a Time).

If somebody helped you please click the button in the bottom right corner of their post.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:07 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Well, I'm using the standard lock that came with 6.1. It will do what you asked for. Every time I soft reset it asks for a password and I have it set to ask for a password if it is left unattended for an hour. Seems to work fine for me. No need to add something that might be incompatible or slows things down. IMO
I have the new updated rom and 6.5 vanilla installed i looked could not find the lock.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:11 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

yeah thats true, just worry about emails with certain info on them and such.
To XPosTech
Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

Yeah, I have 6.1. Mine is under Settings/System/Lock from the start menu. The previous poster is correct about the hard reset though. If someone knows how to hard reset your phone then they can wipe everything on it but of course that includes everything you have put on it. It won't wipe everything on your storage card though. I recommend backing up important stuff you want to save to your card anyway.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:21 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
Yeah, I have 6.1. Mine is under Settings/System/Lock from the start menu. The previous poster is correct about the hard reset though. If someone knows how to hard reset your phone then they can wipe everything on it but of course that includes everything you have put on it. It won't wipe everything on your storage card though. I recommend backing up important stuff you want to save to your card anyway.

yeah I am doing that now. Yeah better safe then sorry...off to Resco Backup
Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffinSOAR View Post
I have the new updated rom and 6.5 vanilla installed i looked could not find the lock.
Start/Settings/Lock. You can use Simple pin or Strong alphanumeric.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 08-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung i910

xPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingwolf View Post
Start/Settings/Lock. You can use Simple pin or Strong alphanumeric.
I suppose the best way of course would be to cook your own ROM. A strong password could be cooked right in and always active. That would take care of the HRs.

That would not stop them from flashing it, though.

Putting sensitive data on the µSDHC card makes it available after a hard reset. To anyone.

I wonder how Adrian Monk keeps his phone secure? Really secure?

Ted
Old 08-04-2009, 10:41 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPosTech View Post
I suppose the best way of course would be to cook your own ROM. A strong password could be cooked right in and always active. That would take care of the HRs.

That would not stop them from flashing it, though.

Putting sensitive data on the µSDHC card makes it available after a hard reset. To anyone.

I wonder how Adrian Monk keeps his phone secure? Really secure?

Ted
Why would you cook this in? Each person needs to set their own password.

Encrypt the micro sd card.

Myphone will soon have remote wipe capabilities also.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia