PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I Give Up! Ready to throw phone out the window!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmilliron View Post
Wogenst, it looks like we are in the same boat. My Omnia is useless with the new Rom installed. I've had some battery drain issues with the old Rom, and I think it has to do with my Omnia constantly switching from Verizon's EVO network to 1X, but the new Rom is even worse. It goes from 4 bars down to nothing about every 20 seconds when I'm driving. I live in Cleveland so if any of you live in Cleveland, could you please post your signal strength?

Issues with the new Rom:

1. touch scrolling in Phonebook and Programs still completely sucks. How did they not fix this???

2. Texting bug drives me nuts! Having to go back into the text thread multiple times to clear the text alert is rediculous! How did they not fix this!

3. I don't use the Omnia keyboard (TouchPal rules) but I can't believe they didn't fix the t9 keypad issue where using the I/U key pulls up U instead of I! That's rediculous!

4. Battery drain seems to be worse but I could be wrong. It was bad enough before.

5. GPS rarely locks and I've tried everything in this forum! I am tempted to flash back to the original Rom (is it available somewhere?) but I really want Google Maps and Bing to recognize my location. This is upsetting me more than anything else. Maybe it is a Cleveland/Ohio issue? I thought it might have been my MS3 that was causing the issue but I wiped my phone and left it set to the base settings and it still rarely gets a lock. I may take my phone back and see if they will replace it. There must be something wrong with it.

Maybye I'm just getting old but I'm getting tired of having to "tweak" my phone to get it working properly. Samsung and Microsoft both really need to stop releasing half ***** products. Between my Omnia and Windows Vista, I think I'm beginning to understand why people love Apple.
I am a diehard Microsoft user but I have just about had it with their half ***** products. Have any of you tried their Facebook app? What a joke! The touch scrolling is terrible. Windows 7 and Windows mobile 7 better be amazing or Microsoft may as well forget about their home users and just focus on their business customers.

Anyone have any advice on my Omnia issues? I won't flash to a custom rom because I can't afford a new phone if I brick it.
I haven't reconditioned my battery since I got mine 2 months ago but I have and still get 2 days on battery easily with normal use, 3 days with very light use. My signal strength at home really isn't great (usually 1-2 bars) and I use a bit of WiFi and BT but quite a bit of web browsing and games. Running Adrynalyne's CC20 6.5 version 4.2 (my USB cable STILL doesn't work and I haven't gotten around to calling tech support) which has been a fantastic experience from the first day I flashed an Adryn ROM (thanks again). I guess I'm just lucky.
OP, have you tried backing up everything and doing a hard reset and format of My Storage? Another user posted a thread saying that solved their problems.
@mcmilliron, unfortunately WM6 is a dinosaur and no amount of tack-ons by Samsung, HTC et al will make up for it's inherent s**tiness. Using a custom ROM with some 3rd party programs will significantly improve your experience. I've been using the trial of PhonEx for a few days and it's great but I think it's too expensive for just a new dialer/call log manager and contact manager. iContact is free and works well. Also FingerKeyboard2 is a good replacement for the Omnia's stock keyboard. If you still have trouble with the CF03 ROM's even after a complete hard reset, why not try out the CC20 beta ROM to see if it works out any better? (The original rom isn't available). Also do a *22899 to update to the latest PRL if you don't have it.
The rom I'm using listed above seems to fix the terrible scrolling in the Facebook app and most others and now it's smooth as butter.
I understand what you mean about having to tweak the phone to get it working properly, and it's the fault of both Samsung and Microsoft. Still, Samsung has to work with what Microsoft gives them, and in the case of Windows Mobile, it has failed miserably to keep up with the times and has been quickly surpassed in the mainstream by Apple, Google and Palm. Just be thankful that a community exists where very good custom ROMs are available and hope that the Andromnia project advances further so that the Omnia's excellent hardware can be paired with a modern and competent OS (android).
ps - I agree with you about MS dropping the ball on WM but Vista is a different story- I tested it back in the beta/RC days and loved it, and it's fifty times better on my new laptop. Faster, stable, more secure than XP and it looks a hell of a lot better too. My customers also have had dramatically less problems with Vista than XP (besides the manufacturer's bloatware, easily removed). That's a rant for another thread though.

Last edited by nitrous9200; 07-25-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung OMNIA i910
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

Wogenst is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07aspenx View Post
Just a suggestion, try turning the Animation OFF under the SPB settings. When I had this ON, my battery would drain a lot quicker.
Thanks. Gonna try this and conditioning the battery also. I already reformatted and hard reset and that helped a teeny bit, but going to try these other suggestions and see what happens....
Old 07-26-2009, 04:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: omnia i910
Carrier: verizon

levytv is a n00b

what does recondition the battery mean?
Old 07-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by levytv View Post
what does recondition the battery mean?
Conditioning the battery was something that used to need to be done to older nickel cadmium (NiCd) batteries. NiCd batteries would suffer from what was called a "memory effect" where, if you stopped charging in the middle of a cycle to use the device or if you didn't let the battery fully die before recharging it, it would "remember" the new levels at which you charged and think that that was as high/low as your battery could go, thereby shortening the life of the battery.

Newer batteries (like the one in your phone) are usually lithium ion (Li-ion) and don't suffer from said memory effect. You can charge and discharge them any way you want and they wil not "remember" which state you charged it in. This signifcantly improves battery life and performance and conditoning the battery is generally not needed for this type of battery.

However, some argue that running the battery all the way down "teaches" your phone just how far it can go and, therefore, results in your phone reporting battery levels more accurately. Lab tests have concluded that there is no hard evidence to prove that conditioning lithium ion batteries improves their performance... but if you want to try, then why not? Can't hurt...
Old 07-26-2009, 08:24 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

Actually, its been shown that reconditioning helps Li-ion batteries too. HP still recommends it with their laptops as well.

Its not even a memory effect really, its just a matter of recalibrating the battery.

Quote:
Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, engineers often refer to "digital memory" on batteries with fuel gauges. Repeat small discharges with subsequent charges do not allow the calibration needed to track the chemical battery with the fuel gauge. A deliberate full discharge with recharge every 30 charges, or so, will correct this problem. Letting the battery run down in the equipment to the cut-off point will do this. If not done, the fuel gauge becomes increasingly less accurate.
http://www.buchmann.ca/article23-page1.asp
Old 07-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
Letting the battery run down in the equipment to the cut-off point will do this. If not done, the fuel gauge becomes increasingly less accurate
That's what I was referring to when saying that calibrating "teaches" the phone how high/low it can go it terms of power. But calibration will not improve battery life itself, I think that is what is misleading a few people here
Old 07-26-2009, 10:41 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

If you arent getting an accurate charge, its going to effect your battery life, one way or another.

If the "fuel guage" points to zero, and its not empty, it doesn't matter. The battery stops giving you the goods.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
If you arent getting an accurate charge, its going to effect your battery life, one way or another.
Alright, I concede Who am I to argue semantics with the almighty Adrynalyne
Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia1

mark elmore is keeping up the good workmark elmore is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost.infamous View Post
i dont think this is an issue with the update or the battery... first off this has been an issue long before the update. i noticed it about 2 months after getting my 1st omnia. and ive had issues with it since then. second its not really the battery thats heating up its the CPU. if you really pay attention to where the heat is coming from its the lower half of the phone(where the CPU is located) not the top half where the battery is. people assume its the bsttery because there battery drsins therefore they blaim it on that. its really more of an over heating CPU issue... i dunno just my two cents on the matter
thank you thank you thank you.
that makes total sense now
now to figure out whats causing my cpu to heat up, even when nothing is running and the screen isnt even on sometimes its getting warm and then the phone starts acting all stupid. it wont hold a call, says stuff is missing thats there etc.. I was thinking its the battery causing the phone problem when its actually the phone causing the battery problem
is it normal for the phone/battery to heat up a bit when charging and being used for Opera ppcgeeks browsing?
Old 10-11-2009, 08:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia1

mark elmore is keeping up the good workmark elmore is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Omnia1: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

ok now i cant seem to kill my battery so i can teach my phone .
usually bluetooth music will kill it in no time but i started at 50% about an hour ago and its still 40%
ive even got messaging on in the background and Opera ppcgeeks and hofo surfing. phone is nice and cool too
frustrating how i cant replicate the problem unless driving. of course itll get stupid again then
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia