PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 02:58 PM
N00b

waly01 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Custon ROM GPS

Sorry for the new post - but does anyone know how to get the GPS working on these custom roms?

I've switched the GPS setting to Location on and I've manually changed the baud rate to 57600 in Com8 in google maps and all that happens is it'll say "lSeeking GPS Satellites 479084416" for about 4-5 minutes then I get a pop up about weak GPS signal.

Did i miss a step?

Oh - I'm currently using Blazingwolf's 6.5 rom.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Custon ROM GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by waly01 View Post
Sorry for the new post - but does anyone know how to get the GPS working on these custom roms?

I've switched the GPS setting to Location on and I've manually changed the baud rate to 57600 in Com8 in google maps and all that happens is it'll say "lSeeking GPS Satellites 479084416" for about 4-5 minutes then I get a pop up about weak GPS signal.

Did i miss a step?

Oh - I'm currently using Blazingwolf's 6.5 rom.
The only two steps necessary after unlocking the GPS is to:

1) Go into Settings -> Personal -> Phone -> Services Tab -> Gps (then click change setting) -> Change to "Location on" and accept the disclaimer. Soft reset

2) Set the COM and Baud settings to 8 and 57600 respectively (although this doesn't seem to be necessary for everyone)

If you've done both of these already, then repeat step 1 by switching back to "911 only" then soft resetting, then switching back to "Location on" and then soft resetting again

Then remember that, since we don't have a-GPS yet, you usually need to sit outside for your first lock and it may take several minutes/tries to get one. So once completeing the steps above, bring a chair outside on a nice clear sunny day and turn on Google Maps, then sit and wait for a few minutes til you get a lock

Last edited by Eschelon; 06-22-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:16 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

Step outside. The area you are in is hindering the view of the birds in the sky.

Also, dont move
Old 06-22-2009, 03:19 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

waly01 is just getting started

I assume/hope that once it connects once it'll be quicker easier in the future? or do I have to get a lawn chair out and head to central park everytime I wanna connect my GPS?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:25 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Pure (TD2, Topaz)
Carrier: AT&T

greenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuff

All future locks should be faster, less than a minute. Typically. Hopefully when VZ releases the update (if they even do) we may get aGPS and our wonderful cooks will be able to make some awesome ROMs with GPS connecting very quickly.

Don't forget to click THANKS for those who have helped!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

seanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by waly01 View Post
I assume/hope that once it connects once it'll be quicker easier in the future? or do I have to get a lawn chair out and head to central park everytime I wanna connect my GPS?
If you use GPSToday, it'll fix MUCH faster. GPSToday keeps a fix running in the background so that when you need it, it's ready to go.

http://geoterrestrial.com/gpstoday/

Old 06-23-2009, 12:42 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: SAMSUNG OMNIA
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

jbr05ki is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to jbr05ki

Isn't the GPS Toggle similar?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Solange82200 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSolange82200 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSolange82200 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have problems getting a lock too. It works depending on it's mood. I live in Miami, and sometimes it will work, sometimes it wont. I drove up to Ponte Vedra Beach last weekend (near Jacksonville) and it didnt work AT ALL. Maybe I will try GPS Today. I cant use GPS Toggle because it doesnt seem to be compatible with widgets and I like my widgets
Old 06-23-2009, 03:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: SAMSUNG OMNIA
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

jbr05ki is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to jbr05ki

@seanosaur does it kill battery life just leaving it on at all times?
Old 06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

cg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanosaur View Post
If you use GPSToday, it'll fix MUCH faster. GPSToday keeps a fix running in the background so that when you need it, it's ready to go.

http://geoterrestrial.com/gpstoday/
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbr05ki View Post
@seanosaur does it kill battery life just leaving it on at all times?

wondering the same
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia