PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 01:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

NeMisiz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
General ROM Flashing Questions

I'm pretty new to the subject of flashing ROMs but I've been researching because I would like to unlock the GPS on my phone; however I will take no chances in screwing my phone up until I feel that I know the necessary precautions.

First off the instructions at theidoctor.org say to hard reset the phone first, but does this mean just the internal memory or do you have to format the storage card also?
If I update to this ROM with the unlocked GPS and later replace it with another ROM will the GPS be locked again?
Is there anything (programs, utilities, settings, etc..) that will be permanently lost from the stock ROM that may later cause inconvenience?
Will this cause any incompatibilities with verizon(or any other programs) and is there somewhere with the original ROMs available if I decide to revert?
I also read somewhere that before flashing you have to do a CID unlock which wasnt mentioned in any of the instructions I've read through. Some clarification on this maybe?

I could just follow exact directions and hope things work out but I'd really just like to gain a better understanding of how it all fits together before messing with my phone. If there is already a guide in the forums here I'm sorry for a repost and I would be much obliged if you could direct me somewhere that answers many of these general questions and need-to-knows. Thank You
Old 05-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

seanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good workseanosaur is keeping up the good work
Re: General ROM Flashing Questions

Flashing really isn't as bad as some people think. Yes, it can be fatal to a phone but I've only heard of a few cases where that happens and it's usually the people that blatantly disobeyed the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeMisiz View Post
First off the instructions at theidoctor.org say to hard reset the phone first, but does this mean just the internal memory or do you have to format the storage card also?
It's always a good idea to hard reset just to have a stock system with the flash. Personally, I've never felt the need to HR and I haven't had any problems.

Quote:
If I update to this ROM with the unlocked GPS and later replace it with another ROM will the GPS be locked again?
The ROM with the GPS unlock is basically upgrading the entire system. Custom ROMs (Adryn, bgill55, etc) are just the PDA aspects of the phone. The GPS will still be there.

Quote:
Is there anything (programs, utilities, settings, etc..) that will be permanently lost from the stock ROM that may later cause inconvenience?
I didn't notice anything missing when I flashed to the Beta ROM. Just upgrades.

Quote:
Will this cause any incompatibilities with verizon(or any other programs) and is there somewhere with the original ROMs available if I decide to revert?
From what I've read here and at modaco,I do not believe the stock ROM is available to revert back to. I could be wrong, though.

Quote:
I also read somewhere that before flashing you have to do a CID unlock which wasnt mentioned in any of the instructions I've read through. Some clarification on this maybe?
Don't know anything about a CID unlock. I didn't change anything before I flashed...

Old 05-17-2009, 10:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910 / Blaze 6.5
Carrier: Big Red

gruven98 is becoming a great contributor

just to add to what seanosaur mentioned here, i personally haven't been over to the doc's website, but i find it interesting of all the different instructions that are out there.

basically i followed the pdf instructions that came from the "unofficial rom" post over at modaco and flashing my omnia worked like a charm. then i went to Adryn's 1.0 base, and now i'm on 1.3. i haven't had any issues with mine.

when you flash to the unofficial 6.1 rom, you won't lose anything, and you'll have gps unlocked for good.

however, when you flash to a custom rom, you will lose some programs, but they can be put back in. you just have to look for the cab file and install. it's that's easy to do. if you look at the release notes for each rom, the chef will tell ya what's been removed/installed. then just take it from there.

hope this helps, happy flashing, and welcome to the community.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:40 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
somewhere with the original ROMs available if I decide to revert?

I also read somewhere that before flashing you have to do a CID unlock which wasnt mentioned in any of the instructions I've read through.
There is no original ROM to flash back to. The closest to stock you will get is the leaked CC20 ROM.

You do not need to CID unlock the i910. That is for the i900 which is a GSM phone.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 05-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung i910

xPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxPosTech is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingwolf View Post
There is no original ROM to flash back to. The closest to stock you will get is the leaked CC20 ROM.

You do not need to CID unlock the i910. That is for the i900 which is a GSM phone.
The supposedly stock ROM with locked GPS that Azintegra leaked (along with CC20) is CB06. I say supposedly because my Omnia arrived in Feb. with BJ28.

When I inquired about a replacement for my phone in late Mar. I was told by VZW Tech Support that the latest was BJ28. I chickened out and kept my CC20 flashed phone rather than take a chance VZW would charge me retail on the replacement.

Ted

Melancholia by Verizon SCH-i910
Adryn CF03 V2.0 8GB/16GB µSDHC
WM 6.5 Pro CE OS 5.2.23008 (23008.5.3.0)

Another Proud Member of FA. Time since last relapse: < One Day (at a Time).

If somebody helped you please click the button in the bottom right corner of their post.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Threadstarter

NeMisiz is a n00b

Thank you all, you've been a great help.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia