PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 03:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: VZW

leland_jr is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
will windows mobile 6.5 make it to omnia?

Going to get a new phone.

My preferences are:
-omni on vzw
-treo pro on sprint
-touch pro on sprint

However, seems like winmo 6.5 will be worth it so I want to make sure I can upgrade anything I buy since I'll have it for a one year contract.

Must I get the touch pro to be able to get windows mobile 6.5?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2009, 10:34 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: will windows mobile 6.5 make it to omnia?

There is really no way of telling for sure. If you want my best guess, I would think the Omnia would get it (officially) before the others for the pure fact it is a newer device (but of course you have to factor in VZW's history of not-so-fast updates in the past). The Touch Pro will most likely get an unofficial version first because it is already being flashed with custom ROMs and until the Omnia is, I wouldn't hold my breath (but after ROMs start being cooked, I think the likelyhood of a 6.5 being cooked for the Omnia to be about the same as for a TP). I doubt the Treo would. Nothing against the Treo (long time 700wx user/lover here) but Palm is not too forthcoming with updates (it took a couple years to even cook ROMs much less create a 6/6.1 for the 700wx).

As I mentioned, I am no expert, those are just my best guesses from what I have seen in the past!!!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 AM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

The touch pro owns all those hardware-wise... and 6.5 will most likely be ported to all of those, so the pro would run wm 6.5 the best due to its hardware

Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 AM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

That all depends. If 6.5 takes more advantage of CPU speed, the Omnia is going to smoke the TP.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris
Carrier: verizon

aleis is keeping up the good workaleis is keeping up the good work

marvel processor baby!
not just marvel either!
the 320!
the best one they have!
it can clock 800mhz!
the omnia uses 624mhz but im sure we could over clock it if we decided
plus think about it, during CES, what phone did steve ballmer use?
o yeah!
thats right!
omnia baby!
the only issue is, we have no one that can cook a rom....so we need it to either come from microsoft or........verizon!

Phandroid!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia

boolieman is just getting started

Yeah i would be willing to if i was in that situation wait and see when the omnia roms start being cooked, of course that means someone has to get an official omnia rom and rip it apart but that is just a matter of time, im sure that verizon is going to get it but if it doesnt get leaked that could be the deciding factor.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I think we will be cooking ROMs before 6.5 is officially released! I have a feeling the GPS release will be done in a packaged ROM because there have been other tweaks rumored to be done as well (camera among them), so we will see!! I know I will be first in line to be tutored on how to cook!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia

hop2000 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby50 View Post
The touch pro owns all those hardware-wise... and 6.5 will most likely be ported to all of those, so the pro would run wm 6.5 the best due to its hardware
Considering Microsoft struck collaboration deals with Samsung and LG to develope new products, I would think new Samsung products (i.e. Omnia and all future Samsung WM phones) would see WM 6.5 and WM 7 sooner than some of the other manufacturers.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

leland_jr is a n00b

Interesting. Thanks. I'm just wondering whether they'll hold off on the upgrade to try to get folks to move to an Omnia v2 or something like that.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris
Carrier: verizon

aleis is keeping up the good workaleis is keeping up the good work

Did You Say Omnia V2!!

wowww...
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia