PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 10:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

hop2000 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Omnia crashing home computer when syncing

This happened to me at least three times last night. I plugged my Omnia in at home and it crashed my PC. I have a newer XPS that is running Vista. This has not happened at all on my work PC (Windows XP). This also NEVER happened with my XV6900. It may be an issue with using Vista at home and XP at work, but I never had this problem with my XV6900 on these two computers.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:22 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung SCH-i910 Omnia

wtherrell is becoming a great contributor
Re: Omnia crashing home computer when syncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop2000 View Post
This happened to me at least three times last night. I plugged my Omnia in at home and it crashed my PC. I have a newer XPS that is running Vista. This has not happened at all on my work PC (Windows XP). This also NEVER happened with my XV6900. It may be an issue with using Vista at home and XP at work, but I never had this problem with my XV6900 on these two computers.
Mine does this if I use the charging cradle. Does not if connected only to USB. It will happen every time. The only workaround I have found is to: (With Power to the Cradle)
1. Disconnect charging cradle from computer USB.
2. Plug charging cradle into Omnia.
3. Reconnect charging cradle to computer USB.
If I leave both the Cradle connected to both Power and Computer USB it will crash immediately upon connecting to the Omnia--Every time.

Must be some kind of feedback loop when connected this way that blows the Opto-isolator on the USB circuit.

Wait until tomorrow to procrastinate
Old 01-16-2009, 11:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Is nobody else having this problem? It happened to me again tonight. I connected the first two times with my phone without a problem. Then I got the error...

"loginUI.exe" corrupt file. Can anyone shed some light on this? I have loved my Omnia so far, but if I have to go through this s%*t every so often when connecting, I will have a MAJOR problem with this phone. Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated. THX.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I noticed that it is not actually crashing the computer, but seems to inable all other USB devices connected to the computer (i.e. mouse and keyboard). Then I get the error message I stated above about a corrupt file. I then have to reset the computer once or twice for the keyboard and mouse to work again. I have tried it using two different samsung USB cables and tried it using two different USB ports on my PC. The weird thing is this does not happen every time I connect the Omnia. It's more like 1 out of every 3 times I connect it.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:11 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

If you uninstall Windows Mobile Device Center, does it still happen when connected?
Old 01-17-2009, 12:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
If you uninstall Windows Mobile Device Center, does it still happen when connected?
I was going to try that next. I'll delete it now and see if it still does it. The weird thing is this NEVER happened with my XV6900.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:05 PM
The Pusher

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

Well, it might be the driver the Omnia is using. Keep us updated.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I deleted Windows Mobile Device Center and the all associated folders. I do not get the error I had before, but now I can't see the Omnia on my PC at all. I can't access it via Windows Explorer. All I get is a charge from the USB cable. I'm going to try to reinstall WMDC and the Omnia drivers and see what happens. Hopefully the purging of WMDC and Omnia drivers then reinstalling them will do the trick.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:25 PM
The Pusher

Try going into setings, connections, USB to PC and uncheck the advanced option in there.

I should note that I had this problem recently, and it was the product of me using reghacks. The hacks themselves werent bad, but I had converted them to cab format, and for whatever reason, it messed up my Omnia all to hell. So if you installed something similar, like the one I posted, remove it.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

GREAT NEWS! After wiping Windows Mobile Device Center, WMDC Update, and all associated drivers, folders, etc. off of my computer and reinstalling using the CD that came with the Omnia it seems to be working without a problem now. I have been plugging and unplugging my Omnia for about 20 minutes now using different USB ports and no freezing up.

I don't know if it was a driver conflict issue between my old XV6900 and the Omnia or if something in the program itself became corrupted when I installed the Omnia drivers. Either way it appears to be fixed (for now).

Hopefully this is the end of that issue. It was REALLY beginning to be a pain in the rear.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia