PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Dandingo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Omnia's main storage continues to shrink!

Hello all! First post on this forum so be gentle.

I have a VZW Omnia (8GB). When I first started using it I noticed that the phone has roughly 90MB of memory which I can access under the "My Device" icon in File Explorer. I also have the "My Storage" icon which is the built in 8GB storage. My question is this, when I first got the phone, the free space on "My Device" was roughly 45mb out of 90mb, it has since shrunk to about 16mb free......every program I have installed has been installed to the "My Storage" memory. I have gone into the phone using explorer on my Vista PC and have found nothing that would justify the shrink from 45mb to 16mb in just 2 weeks.......any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:20 AM
The Pusher
Carrier: Verizon

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community
Re: Omnia's main storage continues to shrink!

Opera, or IE cache.

http://cleartemp.en.softonic.com/pocketpc
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: VZW Omnia

jbharris is a n00b

Most likely the Installer asks you where you want to install those programs, but the program ignores that directive and installs on your main memory anyway. Look in Program Files for some of those programs to confirm this. This was my experience with Batti & S2U2 & Touchflo(manila).

It is also very possible that if you have something installed that uses cache files (Opera for instance) that you are seeing the cache grow over time. Do much browsing?

You can change the Opera cache settings by browsing to opera:config in your opera address bar and changing the cache location (cache directory4) under the "user prefs" section (towards the bottom).

Brad
Old 01-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Dandingo is a n00b

Will try these suggestions out.....have double-checked my installations and everything seems to be in order. I also checked the size of each individual folder and they total no more than 17mb's.........I also don't do much browsing as of yet. I have MemMaid installed and have run the cleaner, both quick and advanced, and nothing.

Will report back.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandingo View Post
Will try these suggestions out.....have double-checked my installations and everything seems to be in order. I also checked the size of each individual folder and they total no more than 17mb's.........I also don't do much browsing as of yet. I have MemMaid installed and have run the cleaner, both quick and advanced, and nothing.

Will report back.
MemMaid? That proves your not as much of a noob as you think!!! That is a very good move and usually one of the first suggestions in cases likt this!!! Way to go!!!!

As far as not doing much browsing, with Opera it doesn't take much. I would still strongly suggest moving the cache file. Opera seems to work well and is touted as being one of the best, but for some reason it seems VERY heavy in the cache department!!

Adrynalyne posted good instructions I copied to post 3 here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=51532

Last edited by syrguy1969; 01-14-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
VIP Member

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
Thanks for this post, Looks like a pretty good tool to keep in reserve!!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Dandingo is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
MemMaid? That proves your not as much of a noob as you think!!! That is a very good move and usually one of the first suggestions in cases likt this!!! Way to go!!!!

As far as not doing much browsing, with Opera it doesn't take much. I would still strongly suggest moving the cache file. Opera seems to work well and is touted as being one of the best, but for some reason it seems VERY heavy in the cache department!!

Adrynalyne posted good instructions I copied to post 3 here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=51532
Thanks for all the help.....I am not a noob when it comes to PC's so obviously the premise of keeping a Windows installation clean and functional transferred over.

Will try moving the cache folder.....thanks!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Lurker

1slik55 is a n00b

I had the same issue until it shrank to 0 MB! That prompted me to start digging around until I found this:

Program Files\VZAppZone\temp\temp

This directory had hundreds of files and I have no clue why since I never ran "VZAppZone". Once I deleted these files I had about 38MB free w/o doing anything else.

Maybe someone can comment on what this directory is used for, but I don't know. I do know it is building up again, but I assigned it as a directory that "Cleartemp" checks & cleans.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
VIP Member

1slik55 and Dandingo....I forgot to ask...do either one of you have VZApps installed? If you do....get rid of it!!! That app has been known to cause numerous issues, among them memory consumption and wifi disruption!!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Dandingo is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
1slik55 and Dandingo....I forgot to ask...do either one of you have VZApps installed? If you do....get rid of it!!! That app has been known to cause numerous issues, among them memory consumption and wifi disruption!!
That was it........

Thanks !
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia