PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 12:36 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

pppebble88 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Getting IMAP Email on Omnia

Hello,

Hope everyone enjoyed their holidays...I am in the process of trying to get my phone setup now that I am back at school and have quite a few questions. I will try to highlight them as best as possible.

1. I am trying to sync my Outlook Email with my device.
- I have 2 email accounts through Outlook. 1 is my school email through an IMAP server. The second is a personal, RoadRunner email. I already get my RoadRunner email to my phone, but I am trying to get my IMAP email to my phone. I currently have the IMAP settings plugged into the phone under the OUTLOOK email account, but it says "Connection Error" when I click "Send/Receive" on the phone.

2. I have ActiveSync installed on the computer. What exactly does this program do? I want to sync my Outlook calendar, contacts, tasks onto my phone, but I don't want to lose my phone numbers in my phone, etc, in the process. Will performing a sync cause this?

I am a little bit confused on how to do all of this and about the difference between the SYNC and setting up the email on the phone. I just want to have both email accounts setup on the phone and the calendar/tasks/contacts synced from Outlook on my computer (but I don't want to lose my phone numbers in the process)

Hopefully this is clear enough and I would really appreciate some help with this. Thanks a lot!

-Pebble
Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Getting IMAP Email on Omnia

Here are a few suggestions:

1. It sounds like there is some kind of error in the server settings for your IMAP account. It might be a good idea for you to contact someone in your school's tech department or consult their website to verify you have the correct settings.

2. Activesync will indeed synchronize all of the information you listed with Outlook. If you are worried about losing contacts from your phone, I highly recommend using either dashwire or pimbackup.

I hope this helps.

Having problems finding what you're looking for? Here are some tips on how to search the site more effectively.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Lurker

edellow is a n00b

Pebble,

ActiveSync is used to syncronize your contacts, tasks and possibly your email between your phone and comupters. I use it to keep my phone desktop and laptop syched. Don't use it for email (explained below).
When you do a synch, it merges lists. So all your computer contacts will be copied to your phone and vice versa. The first time you use it, you are likely to get duplicates because it won't merge some contacts. Once you clean up the duplicates, it will keep all lists in sync. If you add a phone # on your phone, it will copy to your pc etc..

As for IMAP, go into messeging and add a new account. Don't use the 'Outlook' setup. A new account will allow you to read from the server using your phone and has nothing to do with ActiveSync. The outlook account is for synching directly with your PC so you can't get email when away.

-Ed
Old 01-05-2009, 03:01 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

pppebble88 is a n00b

Ed,

Thanks for the help...I still am having issues...I tried the "New Account" like you said and put in all of the information, but it is unable to connect to the server. I double checked my addresses that I have in outlook and they are the exact same. I have Verizon, so I called them to ask what was going on. They told me that I have to pay $44.95 a month for "Wireless Sync" in order to get the email to work...Does that sound right to you? I am just confused as to why the phone says I can add an IMAP account, but Verizon is saying I have to pay in order to get IMAP email to work. Thanks again for the help thus far.

-Pebble
Old 01-05-2009, 04:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

pebble....I have heard that before...I have a NOVEL account at work, and I would have to pay to get it mapped directly like your trying to. I found a way around it though....it isn't automatic though and doesn't work for all. My office email had an online page to access email from home, so all I did was make it my home page on PIE (Opera now) and check it myself. Basic, but works for me!!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work

I do all my email account via IMAP.

You are unchecking "Try to get e-mail settings automatically" right?

Then are you selecting Internet e-mail as the provider? Then your name and account name? Then you know and enter your Incoming mail server? Typically imap.servername.com where servername varies. then you select account type as IMAP?

Then the right username and password? You say you already have this IMAP server working in Outlook on the PC?

Then the outgoing server name? Typically smtp.servername.com? Check authentication?

Does this all sound like stuff you've covered already? Then perhaps you do need help for your particular IMAP server.

I recall Gmail IMAP setup instructions requiring certain port numbers to be set for the PC but I don't think so from mobile.

Just wanted to see if we are on the same page. My IMAP is working for several accounts.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:37 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

pppebble88 is a n00b

I am getting somewhere. I did all of the steps correctly JonV, but it looks like my email server is incorrect. I changed it to the server a friend of mine was using for his BlackBerry service and it worked. However, the OUTGOING server is apparently incorrect, because I can download the emails, I just can't send them. Is this a WORKAROUND way of getting emails without using Verizon's Wireless Sync? I am still confused about what the Wireless Sync is.

Also, another question, under the ActiveSync menu, I see a "Microsoft Exchange" and a "Windows PC." What do these two things mean? As Ed stated, I don't need to use the "Outlook Account" on the phone, but I can't clear the information I already entered. Is there a way to do that?

Sorry for the loaded posts, but I just don't know who else to ask. Thanks a lot.

-Pebble
Old 01-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work

So you can receive but not send? Mmm. That means that either you have the wrong serve name, wrong credentials or the server does not support outgoing. I've seen the latter case in my day. Actually it was back using POP3 but I could receive using some web service but I could only send with my real ISP (Comacast, etc.)

As I said, normally my IMAP incoming and outgoing servers have different prefixes in their name (imap vs. smtp). And you checked to use the same credentials as incoming? If you are using the same service, that should work.

One more time, did you say you HAVE or HAD IMAP working using Outlook on a desktop PC?

I'm afraid I don't have more answer so all I can do is keep asking questions. (An old trick I learned doing software support)

As for Exchange: if your company runs their email through Outlook, they would probably be using an Exchange server to do so. I'm no expert bit I can access my company email just by adding an account and giving it the server name and basic credentials (webmail.xxxx.com). I then get push email via Exchange.

When I set up ActiveSync I set up email via Exchange and contacts and calendar via Windows PC. My other email accounts (IMAP) don't go through ActiveSync at all.

Oh finally, wireless sync is an app that runs on a desktop PC and handles email by pulling and pushing through a connection between the Omnia and your desktop. This can be used I suppose if the direct Exchange thing didn't work. You shouldn't need this unless your IMAP server is wacky.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I stand by my previous suggestion to contact someone from your school and verify your server settings.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

pppebble88 is a n00b

Jon and everyone else,

Thanks for all of your help thus far.

To answer your question, I currently have 2 email accounts setup on my Outlook at school. One is a regular RoadRunner email and another is my schools account. My school account is an IMAP account and the RoadRunner is POP3. I just noticed, while on the phone with Verizon, that I can't SEND email through my RoadRunner account either (the one I thought was working fine)

Here is where I stand...It looks like my server settings, as Trip said, are incorrect for my school email account on the phone. I have removed that account from the phone and am going to start from scratch once I hear something.

The thing bothering me now is why I cant send email through my regular POP account. I use my school's imap server to send email here at school but their POP server to receive, but I should be able to use their pop and smtp accounts on my phone. Should I be using Verizon's SMTP account on my phone in order to send emails?

Through my years working in IT, i have found that message boards are the most helpful thing out there...and this place is awesome. Thanks, again, for all of the help thus far.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia