PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Omnia (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Omnia problems and solutions thread!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47514)

blile 12-03-2008 01:46 AM

Omnia problems and solutions thread!!!

Hey gang, lets compile a list of Omnia problems and solutions.

One of the problems that I have had with the Omnia is the power button on the top is hard to press and it is a pain to put the phone on standby.

I used Aebutton plus: http://freewareppc.com/utilities/aebuttonplus.shtml

I mapped power off/on to the single press of the "end" key. I mapped "press the red button, end" to double tap of the end key.

Now to power off the phone I just press the "end" key. Much easier.

Hope this helps somebody.

Any other problems and solutions?

INDEX for Easy Reading [Updated 12/3/2008]
1. Lack of hardware buttons: use Aebuttonplus http://freewareppc.com/utilities/aebuttonplus.shtml

2. Unresponsive touch screen: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=16

blile 12-03-2008 01:48 AM

Re: Omnia problems and solutions thread!!!

I have a problem that I would like a fix for:

When I get a sms, phone call, or an email, my screen does not turn on. The phone rings or vibrates, but the screen does not activate and therefore I need to press the power button to see the notification.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone got a solution? I searched online and could not find anything.

Thanks

syrguy1969 12-03-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blile (Post 556447)
One of the problems that I have had with the Omnia is the power button on the top is hard to press and it is a pain to put the phone on standby.

I used Aebutton plus: http://freewareppc.com/utilities/aebuttonplus.shtml

I mapped power off/on to the single press of the "end" key. I mapped "press the red button, end" to double tap of the end key.

Now to power off the phone I just press the "end" key. Much easier.

Hope this helps somebody.

Any other problems and solutions?

I am going to try this version of Aebutton...I tried one the other day and I couldn't get it to do ANYTHING!!!! The screen-shot on the site you posted looks easier to use...I have a few tweaks (I'll add that later) to do!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blile (Post 556449)

When I get a sms, phone call, or an email, my screen does not turn on. The phone rings or vibrates, but the screen does not activate and therefore I need to press the power button to see the notification.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone got a solution? I searched online and could not find anything.

Thanks

Not sure if it is a solution (at least not until I get a text message LOL) but I went into settings-sounds, and checked 'show message on screen'....hopefully it will do the trick because I am with you on wanting the screen to wake!!

Now....I have only done a couple tweaks so far. I am hoping with Aebutton to do the power off tweak mentioned earlier and to map the finger-friendly volume shortcut in S2U2 to the volume button.

I do have a neat little app I found in Modeco that automatically toggles from the mouse-pad effect to visible courser when I map it to the camera button!!

I do wish Samsung had included a way to turn off the button lock on calls, I can see where it would be useful at times, but a bother at others!!!!

blile 12-03-2008 02:43 PM

so i tried switching "show message on screen" only to find it was already on. shoot i was hoping that would work. oh well nice try. thanks

syrguy1969 12-03-2008 03:02 PM

I guess we need to keep at it then...I want to find a small app to allow repeating alerts. Nothing as large as PhoneAlarm, but allow the alerts WM disables the repeat option on to go off a set number of times. I may miss the one vibration when a text comes in (sitting on my desk at work) and not see it for hours, but if it went off say 5 times I would be more likely to catch it!! There used to be one for Troes called TreoAlert...maybe something like that....I am looking!!!!

blile 12-03-2008 04:26 PM

Another issue I wonder if there is a fix for: I noticed that there seems to be a lag when typing on the keyboard using "auto complete." I like using the xt9 keyboard. I thought maybe it was the haptic feedback that was slowing it down so I turned it off, and it still lagged.

Anyone else have this problem? Any fix? Strangely there was never a lag with my xv6900 using xt9.

Lylej2k 12-03-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blile (Post 556449)

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by syrguy1969 (Post 557311)
I guess we need to keep at it then...I want to find a small app to allow repeating alerts. Nothing as large as PhoneAlarm, but allow the alerts WM disables the repeat option on to go off a set number of times. I may miss the one vibration when a text comes in (sitting on my desk at work) and not see it for hours, but if it went off say 5 times I would be more likely to catch it!! There used to be one for Troes called TreoAlert...maybe something like that....I am looking!!!!

Check in the Diamond thread, I know there's something about Diamond tweak that has an option "dontwakeonsms" and i believe its just a reg edit. I'll go diggin... give me a few

Edit:

Wake Up on New SMS =>> HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL : DisableSMSWakeUpEvent key usually has the 1 value.
Changing this value to 0 will turn the screen on if you want.

The above is from the pro. found it in this thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...=dont+wake+sms

Hafrust 12-03-2008 04:35 PM

I'm just curious...how is the memory usage on this phone? Any problems with it having only 128mb?

blile 12-03-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lylej2k (Post 557494)
Check in the Diamond thread, I know there's something about Diamond tweak that has an option "dontwakeonsms" and i believe its just a reg edit. I'll go diggin... give me a few

Edit:

Wake Up on New SMS =>> HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL : DisableSMSWakeUpEvent key usually has the 1 value.
Changing this value to 0 will turn the screen on if you want.

The above is from the pro. found it in this thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...=dont+wake+sms

Thanks. I followed the string, but there was no value "DisableSMSWakeUpEvent"

Should I make a value and see what happens? Im gonna back up my phone then I'll tinker with it.

Thanks

Lylej2k 12-03-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blile (Post 557523)
Thanks. I followed the string, but there was no value "DisableSMSWakeUpEvent"

Should I make a value and see what happens? Im gonna back up my phone then I'll tinker with it.

Thanks

NP. the diamond thing is a tweak program, maybe it just does that, writes the string... let me know if it works. How far down the string does it go?

syrguy1969 12-03-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripdub1 (Post 557504)
I'm just curious...how is the memory usage on this phone? Any problems with it having only 128mb?

It is a bit of a bummer VZW gyped us out again, but considering the 8GB onboard, it isn't QUITE as painful LOL!!! I am playing around with what can be installed on the 'My Memory' that previously had to go onto my PPC....so far...except for S2U2 (I'm not messing up a good thing) if it offers a choice, it works pretty well from memory!!!! :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lylej2k (Post 557525)
NP. the diamond thing is a tweak program, maybe it just does that, writes the string... let me know if it works. How far down the string does it go?

I will look at this a bit, but what I am looking for is the behaviour my 700wx had...a text would come in and PocketCM would over-lay S2U2 and I could read it and reply like that.

blile 12-03-2008 05:00 PM

Ok so I made a DWORD value "DisableSMSWakeUpEvent" DWORD data 0

And it still didnt work.

Did I do it right?

blile 12-03-2008 05:27 PM

FYI: I tried a Hard Reset to see if that would fix the SMS Notification thing...didnt work. But it does seem like my keyboard lag is gone. Im going to keep testing.

Lylej2k 12-03-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blile (Post 557558)
Ok so I made a DWORD value "DisableSMSWakeUpEvent" DWORD data 0

And it still didnt work.

Did I do it right?

Was the rest of the string there? You never told me how far down that string you got

there might already be one lurking around in the registry. I don't have one yet, so i can't search for it myself

blile 12-03-2008 05:39 PM

This is what is shown under the "RIL" folder:
String Value- Name: Default, String: (blank)
String Value- Name: Dll, String: rilcdma.dll
Dword Value- Name: Index, DWord Data: 1
Dword Value- Name: Order, Dword Data: 2
String Value- Name: Prefix, String: RIL

Hope that makes sense. I am new to Reg Edits. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks for your help.

blile 12-03-2008 05:45 PM

Another problem I had was the unresponsiveness of the touch screen. I read on a forum somewhere, cant remember where, someone posted a solution that works.

Go to screen calibration "align screen"
1. use an object with a skinny tip. I used a paper clip
2. Look directly above the screen, not at an angle
3. tap lightly on the cross hairs and wait for the cross to move 2-3 seconds.

Once you complete calibration, it will be much more responsive. There is a greater delay in the cross responding to our taps on the Omnia than my 6900 so I pressed too hard when calibrating the first time, and the screen became less responsive.

This may seem basic, but it really helped me. Hopefully it will help someone else.

Lylej2k 12-03-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blile (Post 557694)
Another problem I had was the unresponsiveness of the touch screen. I read on a forum somewhere, cant remember where, someone posted a solution that works.

Go to screen calibration "align screen"
1. use an object with a skinny tip. I used a paper clip
2. Look directly above the screen, not at an angle
3. tap lightly on the cross hairs and wait for the cross to move 2-3 seconds.

Once you complete calibration, it will be much more responsive. There is a greater delay in the cross responding to our taps on the Omnia than my 6900 so I pressed too hard when calibrating the first time, and the screen became less responsive.

This may seem basic, but it really helped me. Hopefully it will help someone else.

I wonder if there's a screen pressure setting in the registry... I'm gonna get this device real soon.

PuffinMyLye 12-03-2008 08:08 PM

I'm having an issue with my phone, I've had it for 1 day now. It is in regards to activating the screen after the backlight has gone out. When I first got the phone, I had to click the call button to get the screen back on and it would always activate the phone dialing keypad (I'm assuming this isn't the way it's supposed to be done). Now that doesn't even work, I can press the call or end call buttons and I hear them working but the screen stays blank. Now the only thing that activates the screen again for me is pressing the power button.

Is this normal? How are you normally supposed to activate your screen after it's gone out?

Lylej2k 12-04-2008 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye (Post 557947)
I'm having an issue with my phone, I've had it for 1 day now. It is in regards to activating the screen after the backlight has gone out. When I first got the phone, I had to click the call button to get the screen back on and it would always activate the phone dialing keypad (I'm assuming this isn't the way it's supposed to be done). Now that doesn't even work, I can press the call or end call buttons and I hear them working but the screen stays blank. Now the only thing that activates the screen again for me is pressing the power button.

Is this normal? How are you normally supposed to activate your screen after it's gone out?

That's normal. when your screen goes out, the phone isn't off, its sleeping, pressing the power button wakes it up

madalinamazilu 12-04-2008 09:36 AM

Hi, I just got my omnia phone and there are some things that bother me:
1. Before Omnia I had a Nokia phone that was able to jump to the next track or radio station from the the headset. Samsung it's not able to do such thing. when pressing the headset button he jumps directly to phone (dialing menu).
2. I'm not able to make my phone to connect to my wireless router. I have a wireless 802.11 b/g wifi router with WEP encryption. My omnia detects the wireless network, asks me for the key and then it tries to connect and doesn't succedes.

Thank in advance, for any solutions for this two problems.

vilord 12-04-2008 07:30 PM

If I were you I'd switch to WPA/2 encryption, WEP is about as useful to keeping outsiders out as locking a screen door is to keeping people out of your house.

Hopefully WPA works, my roommie just ordered an omnia and will be most upset if it can't use the wifi at the house!

iclickjohn 12-08-2008 01:31 AM

Youtube?????
Is it just me? No worky.
Tried HTC media download from xda
TCPMP no.
from the mobile site upon selecting thumbnail, it attempts to open it with WM media player. On my old phone that was HTC Helmi cooked. it worked fine. but I'll need to get that old phone out to find which software that was.

edit/ Yes it was HTC's Streamingmedia software. I'm going to find it and try that.
editII/ go to xda developers and search for youtubeplay also you need windows NET runtime. the link is there for that as well.
AMAZZZZing video quality, much better than the mobile website version. It's a stand alone software so look in your programs folder for it.

blile 12-08-2008 07:20 AM

Any one find a fix for the problem:

When entering a name in either Sms, or email "to" field no names from contacts pop up. In every other WM phone ive had, names automatically pop up as you type. On the Omnia, nothing pops up. You have to click "add recipient" or "check name" that kinda sucks.

Any way to fix that? There must be a registry fix that can make it work right?

Thanks for the help.

kendubya 12-09-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blile (Post 557483)
Another issue I wonder if there is a fix for: I noticed that there seems to be a lag when typing on the keyboard using "auto complete." I like using the xt9 keyboard. I thought maybe it was the haptic feedback that was slowing it down so I turned it off, and it still lagged.

Anyone else have this problem? Any fix? Strangely there was never a lag with my xv6900 using xt9.

Yep, its auto complete.

kendubya 12-09-2008 01:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This cab has had mixed success. It is supposed to disable the keylock when you're on a call. I installed it and it worked but, I lost the icons/functionality on the right column of buttons on the dialer screens. Fortunately (for me) removing the software restored the button functions.

Braqson 12-09-2008 01:47 AM

I have a question for everyone. I am new and blonde so here we go. I know on regular computers that some sd cards and flash drives can be used to add ram to your system, so my question is can this be done to a phone such as the Omnia?

Lylej2k 12-09-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braqson (Post 567683)
I have a question for everyone. I am new and blonde so here we go. I know on regular computers that some sd cards and flash drives can be used to add ram to your system, so my question is can this be done to a phone such as the Omnia?

I know it can't be done on the Titan, but I don't know about the Omnia. Gut feeling... probably not.

stoshx 12-09-2008 07:16 PM

One of the problems I have with the Omnia is that whenever I get a call and pull the phone out of it's holster (which is horizontal), I have to wait for the animation that switches to vertical to stop before I can answer the call.

Is there a setting I can change or create that would disable the accelerometer when there is an incoming call so that I can answer it in a timely manner?

syrguy1969 12-09-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoshx (Post 569059)
One of the problems I have with the Omnia is that whenever I get a call and pull the phone out of it's holster (which is horizontal), I have to wait for the animation that switches to vertical to stop before I can answer the call.

Is there a setting I can change or create that would disable the accelerometer when there is an incoming call so that I can answer it in a timely manner?

Sure...just go to settings...system....motion sensor

you can disable, set sensitivity, or a different animation.

stoshx 12-10-2008 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syrguy1969 (Post 569432)
Sure...just go to settings...system....motion sensor you can disable, set sensitivity, or a different animation.

Thanks for the advice, but those aren't really viable options. I need to be able to go between horizontal and vertical for different things like vertical for phone and horizontal for typing a text message. The animation is irrelevant because even if you have no animation you still have to wait for it to transition. And changing the sensitivity does not stop it from changing when moved from horizontal to vertical. Any other suggestions?

Lylej2k 12-10-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoshx (Post 569748)
Thanks for the advice, but those aren't really viable options. I need to be able to go between horizontal and vertical for different things like vertical for phone and horizontal for typing a text message. The animation is irrelevant because even if you have no animation you still have to wait for it to transition. And changing the sensitivity does not stop it from changing when moved from horizontal to vertical. Any other suggestions?

Get a vertical case/clip...

syrguy1969 12-10-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoshx (Post 569748)

After you disable the rotation setting, go to settings....personal.....buttons and assign <rotate screen. to a button (maybe camera button>) so you can rotate 'on-demand' (did that come out right LOL)!!!

stoshx 12-10-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syrguy1969 (Post 569944)
After you disable the rotation setting, go to settings....personal.....buttons and assign <rotate screen. to a button (maybe camera button>) so you can rotate 'on-demand' (did that come out right LOL)!!!

Yup, that works great! thanks!

syrguy1969 12-10-2008 02:14 PM

No prob...enjoy!! I am about 95% sure I am sticking with this device!!!!

Eddie7 12-13-2008 12:40 AM

One of problem i have is that when somebody send me a text massage that is too long does not show in a second massage ..... I hope you guys understand what im saying i had a i760 everytime somebody would send me a long text msg i would get it in two msgs but now i get the fist part and second part doesnt show up .. only said abt an error and msg gets cut off .... any solutions to that ???](*,)

mrhockey999 12-14-2008 01:33 PM

Does anyone know if there is an easy way to turn off the notification / sound that occurs when the phone is finished charging? Thanks in advance!

jgilfor 12-14-2008 02:36 PM

A few posts back, someone asked if the Omnia has a sd card slot (at least I think that's what was being asked). Well, the answer is... YES. Just next to the battery under the back case is a microsd card slot.

blile 12-15-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhockey999 (Post 577794)
Does anyone know if there is an easy way to turn off the notification / sound that occurs when the phone is finished charging? Thanks in advance!

I would like to know this as well.

assman 12-15-2008 07:05 PM

I NEED HELP CAN ANYONE HELP ME I INSTALLED THIS TO MY PHONE LOOKS COOLS BUT NOW MY PHONE SAYS I900 BUT I HAVE THE I910 HOW CAN I FIX THIS BACK TO THE I910 ROM I CANT USE MY PHONE AT ALL AND VERIZON SAID I CANT GET A NEW ONE ITS PAST 30 DAYS AND I HAVE NO COVERAGE THEY SAID I GOT TO BUY A NEW ONE I JUST GOT MY CELL http://www.modaco.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif http://www.modaco.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif IM SO SAD AND I CALLED SAMSUNG THEY SAID I CAN SEND IT IN BUT IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT BEEN HACK THEY CANT HELP ME CAN SOMEONE SEND OR POST UP THE ORGENAL SOFTWARE FOR THE I910 ONLY THE I910 SO I CAN FIX IT BACK http://www.modaco.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif http://www.modaco.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif http://www.modaco.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif http://www.modaco.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif http://www.modaco.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif http://www.modaco.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

assman 12-15-2008 07:08 PM

o and one more thing my friend has the i910 too but mines is the missed up one hes is not and there anyway just to drag and drop hes software to my phone to fix this back to the i910 rom :( :(