PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Noob needing some direction...

The best way is to download the applications like mobile shell from your PC (called CABs, because their file extension is .cab) rather than using the cellular network which especially on a limited Page Plus data plan would be a disaster. Also keep in mind that Mobile Shell costs $30 when the trial expires. Go here and click Download CAB, then save the file, plug in your phone to the PC and copy it over. When connected, the phone will show up as a separate icon in My Computer and you can go there to browse the files on the phone. I recommend using the My Storage folder which will place it on your 8GB internal memory that won't be erased when hard resetting or flashing a ROM (but don't get too far ahead of yourself yet).
Then on the phone, open File Explorer from Start menu and browse to the location of the CAB and tap it. It will then install and you may need to restart.
To shut down the data connection, tap the Ev or signal strength icon and in the pop up bubble choose Wireless Manager. Tapping Phone will cause it to go gray and the status will change to Off. And no, you will not be charged for using WiFi; it can be activated the same way.
If you need any help with any of that or anything else, please post back. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk since there's nothing else going on in this forum.

A few more things: Modaco would look a little daunting because there's lots of threads with terms you probably don't know yet. The Omnia Upgrades section here is very simple to understand though there's not as much activity. You will find Lioryte's ROM there as well as a couple of others and even a First Time Flashing guide, so it's a good place to start. PS before you start flashing, most roms are based on what is called "CF03", the first software update, so you will want to have this on your phone before you even consider making any modifications. Go to Start > Settings > Version or open up your phone dialer and press #43574357*. If you see CF03 in the first line, you're good, otherwise you will need to install it. But stay with the stock software for at least a while to get used to it. The leaked 6.5 versions are very nice and I prefer them over 6.1, but there can be random bugs and weirdness in them and so your experience may not always be quite as smooth. Two things I notice are the touchscreen sensitivity is a bit less than stock, and some actions in the stock software feel a bit snappier, but don't let that turn you off from eventually flashing.

Last edited by nitrous9200; 04-16-2010 at 09:11 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:07 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Omnia
Carrier: Page plus
Threadstarter

LocalHero is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous9200 View Post
The best way is to download the applications like mobile shell from your PC (called CABs, because their file extension is .cab) rather than using the cellular network which especially on a limited Page Plus data plan would be a disaster. Also keep in mind that Mobile Shell costs $30 when the trial expires. Go here and click Download CAB, then save the file, plug in your phone to the PC and copy it over. When connected, the phone will show up as a separate icon in My Computer and you can go there to browse the files on the phone. I recommend using the My Storage folder which will place it on your 8GB internal memory that won't be erased when hard resetting or flashing a ROM (but don't get too far ahead of yourself yet).
Then on the phone, open File Explorer from Start menu and browse to the location of the CAB and tap it. It will then install and you may need to restart.
I got ahead of you here. I downloaded it to my pc then emailed it to myself and using the Omnia's wifi I saved the file from the email.
So now I have SPB Shell on the phone. I downloaded the spb manual too so I'll be able to figure it out. (changed the background to black...much better)

Quote:
To shut down the data connection, tap the Ev or signal strength icon and in the pop up bubble choose Wireless Manager. Tapping Phone will cause it to go gray and the status will change to Off. And no, you will not be charged for using WiFi; it can be activated the same way.
Ah. I had found that screen but I thought that turned off the phone function. (duh) If I turn it off will it stay turned off til I change it?

Quote:
If you need any help with any of that or anything else, please post back. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk since there's nothing else going on in this forum.
I'm likely to take you up on that.

Quote:
A few more things: Modaco would look a little daunting because there's lots of threads with terms you probably don't know yet. The Omnia Upgrades section here is very simple to understand though there's not as much activity. You will find Lioryte's ROM there as well as a couple of others and even a First Time Flashing guide, so it's a good place to start. PS before you start flashing, most roms are based on what is called "CF03", the first software update, so you will want to have this on your phone before you even consider making any modifications. Go to Start > Settings > Version or open up your phone dialer and press #43574357*. If you see CF03 in the first line, you're good, otherwise you will need to install it. But stay with the stock software for at least a while to get used to it. The leaked 6.5 versions are very nice and I prefer them over 6.1, but there can be random bugs and weirdness in them and so your experience may not always be quite as smooth. Two things I notice are the touchscreen sensitivity is a bit less than stock, and some actions in the stock software feel a bit snappier, but don't let that turn you off from eventually flashing.
CF03 it is. I think you're right. I have my hands full trying to see the options in spb shell without adding anything else. Mostly I want a few things that I use to work smoothly and I want everything else out of the way.
I called my Mom to test out the phone but although I've ordered a utnt plan from Kitty I haven't gotten the pin yet. So 45 mins into the conversation (hadn't talked with Mom in a while) my phone went dead. I had to go out and put $10 on it to call her back.
I need to get simple issues like that ironed out before I'm worried about changing the os.

Think it would be possible to download my contacts from my Straight talk Samsung R451c to the Omnia or will I have to load them all by hand? That Straight Talk phone is going on Craigslist or Ebay tomorrow.

Thanks for the help,
John
Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

LocalHero is a n00b

Wait, turning the "phone" off in wireless connection DOES turn the phone connection off. I misunderstood what you are saying. I want to just turn off the phone's data/evdo connection but without turning off the wifi. I just don't want to accidentally be using up my scant data allowance thinking I'm on wifi.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

If your old phone can beam contacts via Bluetooth, that's the easiest way to do it. Hopefully you can make it work because BT can be very iffy/temperamental.
You can disconnect the data connection by tapping the signal strength icon and pressing Disconnect in the bubble. You will see the arrow icons change into a cell tower and go white. There are two CAB files attached to this post that you can install on the phone which will automatically disconnect the data connection after being inactive for one or five minutes. Also, if you are connected via WiFi, that connection will take precedence over the EVDO data so it will not be used. You can tell by looking at the color of the signal bars; if they are gray, the data is inactive, white means it is active.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:32 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

LocalHero is a n00b

Quote:
If your old phone can beam contacts via Bluetooth, that's the easiest way to do it. Hopefully you can make it work because BT can be very iffy/temperamental.
I'll try that. Loading contacts is a bear in this phone or I haven't figured out the best way to do it yet.

Quote:
You can disconnect the data connection by tapping the signal strength icon and pressing Disconnect in the bubble. You will see the arrow icons change into a cell tower and go white. There are two CAB files attached to this post that you can install on the phone which will automatically disconnect the data connection after being inactive for one or five minutes. Also, if you are connected via WiFi, that connection will take precedence over the EVDO data so it will not be used. You can tell by looking at the color of the signal bars; if they are gray, the data is inactive, white means it is active.
When I tap my signal icon the bubble gives me options for wireless manager and Settings. In wireless manager I can turn the phone off but not just the data connection, right?
Is there any reason not to just leave the wifi on all the time so as to never use evdo when I have a wifi connection? Kills the batt? security issue?

I don't see files attached to your post....
Old 04-17-2010, 01:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

mzimmer74 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I'll try that. Loading contacts is a bear in this phone or I haven't figured out the best way to do it yet.
I very rarely set up contacts directly on the phone. Instead, I set them up in Outlook on my computer and then sync, making sure that contacts are one of the things that sync. If you don't have Outlook, I think you can also use Google and sync your contacts (and other things) through that. I'm not sure how to do that as I've never tried it, but I would imagine there are plenty of guides out there on it. The only problem with using Google would be that it would use up some of your "limited" available data. Just something you might look at.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:14 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

LocalHero is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimmer74 View Post
I very rarely set up contacts directly on the phone. Instead, I set them up in Outlook on my computer and then sync, making sure that contacts are one of the things that sync. If you don't have Outlook, I think you can also use Google and sync your contacts (and other things) through that. I'm not sure how to do that as I've never tried it, but I would imagine there are plenty of guides out there on it. The only problem with using Google would be that it would use up some of your "limited" available data. Just something you might look at.
I don't have near as many contacts on Google as I do on my phone. Lumber yards, sub contractors, etc.
I'll have to put them in by hand I think. I got the two phones to recognize each other via bluetooth but I could never get it to say "connected" for some reason.

Right now I'm trying to get the microsd card working. It works fine in my old phone but doesn't seem to be recognized in the omnia. Under the "hard Reset" menu it only says "Not Install" and the format button is greyed out. I formatted the card in my old phone...maybe I need to format it via my pc?
Old 04-17-2010, 02:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

mzimmer74 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
I don't have near as many contacts on Google as I do on my phone. Lumber yards, sub contractors, etc.
I'll have to put them in by hand I think. I got the two phones to recognize each other via bluetooth but I could never get it to say "connected" for some reason.

Right now I'm trying to get the microsd card working. It works fine in my old phone but doesn't seem to be recognized in the omnia. Under the "hard Reset" menu it only says "Not Install" and the format button is greyed out. I formatted the card in my old phone...maybe I need to format it via my pc?
What is the old phone you have? Would it be able to hook up to Google? I ask because if it can then you could use Google Sync (http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/) to upload from your old phone to Google, and then use Google Sync to download from Google to your new phone. Even if not, I'd think it would be easier to manually add all the contacts into Google and then use Google Sync to get them to the phone than it would be to manually enter them into the phone. Like I said, however, I don't personally use Google Sync so not sure how good it is.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:22 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

LocalHero is a n00b

My old phone is a Straight Talk Samsung R451c. Not a smart phone and I'd be surprised if it could sync with google.
You're probably right about loading info into google then syncing it with the phone. I've got the most impt contacts loaded at this point. I might try that with the rest of them.

I just formatted that micro sd in my pc so I'll see if that works in the omnia now.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:25 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

LocalHero is a n00b

Blue angels are putting on an air show here and keep flying over!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia