PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

TripleAgent is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Engadget Epic 4g Review + Gizmodo, Slashgear, Laptopmag, Cnet Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Yeah..most phones are like that these days..but at least they include headsets and decent ones...which most don't do these days...
Yeah, but 35 dollars is steep. Sprint is nickel and diming the hell out of folks nowadays. I will get some cheapo one off Ebay I guess.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ppcgpirate is keeping up the good workppcgpirate is keeping up the good work

Engadget

"[Update: We just spoke with Samsung, who told us that Google is now requiring that the "use wireless networks" setting for location-based services be turned off by default in Android devices -- in other words, no AGPS unless you manually enable it. Sure enough, we went into Settings, found that it was disabled on the Epic, turned it on, and we were good to go. No GPS bug!]"
Old 08-16-2010, 05:15 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

BBAHunter is a n00b

I played with a T-Mobile version Galaxy S today, I like it but it IS big. As for the Super AMOLED screen, bright sunlight viewing is only marginally better than my existing Diamond, although the screen size makes it easier to make out the details.

I want the epic still, just have to make up my mind on how bad and when I'll get it.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

BBAHunter is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcgpirate View Post
Engadget

"[Update: We just spoke with Samsung, who told us that Google is now requiring that the "use wireless networks" setting for location-based services be turned off by default in Android devices -- in other words, no AGPS unless you manually enable it. Sure enough, we went into Settings, found that it was disabled on the Epic, turned it on, and we were good to go. No GPS bug!]"

I wonder if this applies to CDMA networks? They do not typically allow multiple connections to map out multiple towers with, which AGPS depends on.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:43 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAHunter View Post
I played with a T-Mobile version Galaxy S today, I like it but it IS big. As for the Super AMOLED screen, bright sunlight viewing is only marginally better than my existing Diamond, although the screen size makes it easier to make out the details.

I want the epic still, just have to make up my mind on how bad and when I'll get it.
There shouldn't be much difference...its a misconception..it offers sunlight advantages over regular AMOLED..not LCD..its about equal to LCD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAHunter View Post
I wonder if this applies to CDMA networks? They do not typically allow multiple connections to map out multiple towers with, which AGPS depends on.
You don't exactly need Triangulation...it just makes it more accurate..even in GSM your not always connected to 3 towers either..basically it can tell the direction your at and at what angle..then calculating its height in can estimate your location..this estimate is no where as good as real GPS...

but we are talking about wireless location position without the use of GPS...AGPS uses the cellphone tower to locate the location of the GPS satellite and relays them to your phone.. after-which it connects to the satellites to get a more accurate location..aka AGPS is just a method of quickly locating and locking on to satellites for your GPS, nothing else...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

nvmyc is keeping up the good worknvmyc is keeping up the good work

what I don't understand is the they give us a 16gb sd card and hardly any internal memory but all the others get the 16gb's internally...I don't know if that's good or bad?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:06 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmyc View Post
what I don't understand is the they give us a 16gb sd card and hardly any internal memory but all the others get the 16gb's internally...I don't know if that's good or bad?
Its hard to say at this point..so far the only ones that got the Device are "Popular" sites with only general knowledge...so far no one technical got heir hands on it...

A lot of people have been calling whats inside a internal sd card..but its not exactly that..no one knows really..yet...samsung released an internal storage module on this phone that they have not released to other manufacturers...so far we know the issue is in the RFS file system..but with EXT2 it does run fast as hell..so you can't exactly say its slow...maybe RFS and android are not playing with each other nicely or etc....so far no one reported any bad lag in the review which they did for the other models..so either they fixed it or we got a faster version is possible..but again too early to tell...
Old 08-16-2010, 06:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

nvmyc is keeping up the good worknvmyc is keeping up the good work

I noticed nobody talking about what we really want to know.....It always makes me mad when every review features the same thing......keyboard, TouchWiz, side scrolling, etc etc....it's like their brainwashed into showing stuff everyone knows already.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:27 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
I noticed nobody talking about what we really want to know.....It always makes me mad when every review features the same thing......keyboard, TouchWiz, side scrolling, etc etc....it's like their brainwashed into showing stuff everyone knows already.
Yeah...best your gonna get is this from the Slashgear review:

Quote:
Happily, while use of the Galaxy S series was punctuated with freezes and pauses, anecdotally blamed upon the handsets’ use of an internal microSD card for their onboard storage, the Epic 4G seems generally free of such lag.
who out of all the reviewers only one that bothers opening the back cover for a pic >.>
Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
When Froyo comes out for this handset it will make it irrelevant where the memory is. Android 2.2 will allow you to install apps to the SD card.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series